Charging Less Than Discharge?

Wurkkos

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're discharging @ 2A the capacity indication should be real accurate because that's a good load. To maintain a cell's maximum capacity I think remembering that a low, ~0.2C or less (320mA for a 1600mAh cell), discharge rate will more completely drain them and ~ 1C for recharging. 2C charging may be too high; if the cells remain cool 3.2A should be cool, but that might shorten their lifespan.

john61ct

Newly Enlightened
In fact optimal charge rate for longevity is 0.3C or lower.

As with discharging, any heat production from internal reactions detectable at the cell surface shows a too high rate.

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Jay and John. I'm staying with 1C to charge / top off. The pack is getting slightly warm. I'm going to try a 2A discharge and see if the battery will cycle before hitting the charger timer limit.

Bob

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was mistaken about the Maha because it will also indicate some cells have discharged more than a subsequent recharging. This is with older AA & AAA cells, I believe. I'm going to have to keep some records and not go by memory to see if this happens with only old cells. I'm noticing discharge capacities 20% to about 30% greater than the next recharge. This is happening on three smart charger/analysers so I doubt it's charger error. I'll also check the internal cell resistances to see if that has a bearing on the backwards results.