charging percentage, capacity, and extending cell phone battery life

Capolini

Banned
^^^^^

You stopped trying after 10 times!!! That is not enough,keep hounding her! lol!

I do not know about you guys,,but I seem to analyze this stuff too much!

One thing I know for sure is that I will treat my cell phone Discharges just like my L.Ion 18650/16340/18500 cells ect. That is I never let those get below 3.50V rarely lower than 3.6V and usually around 3.7/3.8V when I charge them.In my brain that would be around 40% capacity in my LG Smart Phone...........probably not an exact correlation, but close enough!

markr6

Flashaholic
I do not know about you guys,,but I seem to analyze this stuff too much!

I used to, but I've gotten more relaxed about it. The iPhone is so expensive, I keep a close eye. But 18650s I keep anywhere between 3.7v and 4.0 and throw them in a drawer. Eneloops I care even less about.

markr6

Flashaholic
Now wait a minute!! If your more relaxed about it why would you be keeping a close eye on it?!! :D

I meant everything but the phone. I'm pretty consistent between 40% and 90% without really trying though on normal days.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
On my HTC M7 which is a few years old, I have only ever charged it to 80% and never discharge below 20%, I use an android app called Gsam Battery Monitor, I set alarms for when charging the level goes above 80%, and an alarm when the battery drops below 20%

I have a Samsung tablet, it`s nearly 2 years old, and i have done the same charging/discharging regime with that as well, I have only charged it to 100% 5 times and that was just to calibrate the battery.

I think i read that Sony it going to add a battery saver to their next mobile phones like they do with their notebooks, so they actually stop charging at a pre set level.

John.

Capolini

Banned
I have to laugh because every time I look at my wife's iPhone 6 (she just got it), it's at something ridiculous like 8%. On the other hand, mine is two years old and I've seen mine that low maybe 3 times...when I was backpacking for 3 days...with 11°F highs (tried to keep it warm but taking photos for even 10 seconds at a time in 0°F really saps the power.)

She gets mad when I "tell her how to use her phone". I stopped trying after 10 times, so I told her not to whine next year when it's not holding a charge well.

I just called my girlfriend at work[she is working from home today!] and she has a Samsung Galaxy S5.

I asked her what was the lowest her battery ever got/when she normally charges it? She said it has gotten below 30% a few times before she charged it. I am proud of her,,,I guess all my flashlight/L. Ion battery talk has rubbed off on her!:cool:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
When I was first getting my smart phone, one of my main concerns was that I wanted a phone that could take a replaceable battery.
My kids were like Dad, most likely before your battery doesn't hold a charge anymore you'll be due for an upgrade anyway, or you'll have cracked your screen, and you'll be looking to replace it.

Son of a gun, it looks like they may have been right!

I've had the phone for less than a year, and I bought a protective case for it, and a glass screen protector.
I must have sat on it and cracked the screen protector.. it was only few dollars... so money well spent.

I dropped it a couple of times and the case protected it.

Yesterday, I dropped it right on it's corner. The corner of my screen is shattered, and there are a few hairline cracks in the screen. lol, the protective glass screen only has a crack up in the corner. I'm hoping that the screen protector will hold the LCD screen together.

A new screen is only about $11 but it looks like a real PIA to take it apart and put back together. Some guy did it on a youtube vid in 6 minutes. But it was in time lapse, so that it may actually have been an hour.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
most likely before your battery doesn't hold a charge anymore you'll be due for an upgrade anyway

And I am from that camp, I'm glad to see everyone has done thorough and exhaustive analysis of how to maximize battery life, but I ignored all of it in favor of convenience, knowing I'd want something else after ~2 years anyway. I specifically buy and exclusively use 2.4 amp chargers, not just for the house and the car, but even the portable power bank, and that's the only way I've ever charged this phone, including overnight. Up until only recently, my phone would stream audio at max volume for ~10 hours a day; the battery would be near death after ~4 hours, I'd kick the battery case on and leave it on while the music-streaming-at-10 continued, then at the end of my shift, pop it on the car charger while using Waze to get home. I'd estimate my battery has been damaged to about 70% of its original capacity.

..and the iPhone 7 came out this week. My screen is in flawless condition, so my phone will be worth maximum trade-in value. No analysis necessary..

jurgo87

Newly Enlightened
If I leave it in charge during the night, is better an 1A charger then 1,5A/2A charger?

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. Actually about due for replacement based on 2 year cycle.

I won't get a phone without a user replaceable battery. I also don't mind running it down to 5% or letting it charge to 100% overnight. For the 15 or 20 bucks it costs to replace the battery with a new one, it is just absolutely not worth it to babysit 30-80-30.

After about a year and a half (hey, 500 cycles, what do ya know), it starts to not hold a charge as long. I spend the $20 and replace the battery if I hadn't already bought a spare. The old one becomes a backup that I carry when I think there's a chance I'll need it (long night, backwoods reception, etc.).

I admire your dedication 30-80ers, but I couldn't do it.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^ @ Bdm82

Where do you get a GENUINE Galaxy S5 replacement battery for that price? My Girlfrined has that phone[ATT version] and I do not see any GENUINE replacements less than $35!

My lg battery is the same price. They have these 10/15 dollar replacements but in my mind that is like getting an Ultrafire 18650!

Some of them claim to be 3500mAh not the 2800mAh that comes w/ the phone!! Like I said,just like an Ultrafire 18650!

lol!! look at this gem replacement for $10! Right!! 4350mAh!!!

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 ACTIVE PRIME SERIES REPLACEMENT PHONE BATTERY (4350MAH)

Last edited:

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
^^^^ @ Bdm82

Where do you get a GENUINE Galaxy S5 replacement battery for that price? My Girlfrined has that phone[ATT version] and I do not see any GENUINE replacements less than $35!

SAMSUNG GALAXY S5 ACTIVE PRIME SERIES REPLACEMENT PHONE BATTERY (4350MAH)

Sorry I didn't go into detail there, trying to not be too windy.

I've found the Anker brand replacements are $15 and quite good. I actually went with the $28 package with 2 batteries and charger. As of right now they are 4.5 stars with 981 reviews. Rated at 2800mah.
The same jungle themed A to Z retailer has oem branded ones for $10 but through 3rd parties that I'd be reluctant to trust. AnkerDirect has always served me well.

Capolini

Banned
OK,,,,,,,,,,,,Nothing major but it still bothers me!

I have an LG Optimus ZONE 3 Smart Phone. Two weeks old.

Last night I starting charging it to 90%. Charged it before bed and turned it off.

Turned on this morning it was at 88%. Sent One text. 40 minutes later[now in sleep mode] it was @ 85%.An additional Thirty [30] minutes later[sleep mode again] it was @ 82%. So that is Seventy TOTAL minutes w/ One text and it lost 8% including being off over night.

To the best of my knowledge nothing was updating/downloading.

One thing I notice is if I charge it in the morning it will take several minutes of use before it even loses 1% capacity.

I just got a thought! Maybe after a full charge it settles a bit like my 18650, 16340 ect?

Even so, why would it lose 6% capacity when it is in sleep mode for Seventy[70] minutes??

BATTERY EXPERTS,WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?! ;)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
A dark art indeed; your phone will lose a few percent an hour even if it's just sitting, plus Android means mystery background activity adding to the drain, usually programs left running and not necessarily updates.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use an app called Free/Paid Watchdog it keeps an eye on your apps and phones system apps if you enable it in the settings, you can black and white list apps, set tolerance levels for the alarm.

In the middle of the night the Watchdog alarm went off, and my tablet was in it case, i removed it and it was hot, if it was not for Watchdog the battery would have been empty by the morning and maybe my tablet would have had problems starting.

John.

A dark art indeed; your phone will lose a few percent an hour even if it's just sitting, plus Android means mystery background activity adding to the drain, usually programs left running and not necessarily updates.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm in the habit of closing all my apps every so often (double click home button and swipe up). I may have 2-3 in the background I forgot to close. I don't think I lose more than 2% in an hour (just sitting idle on wifi)

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The iPhone has Low Power Mode, available in Settings - Battery, which doesn't allow anything to run in the background and shuts off visual effects. It won't even check for mail unless you open the app.

Bdm82

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
The S5 and other android phones have Power Saving mode as well, similar to the iOS Low Power Mode.

In some ways, maximizing battery life isn't that complicated.. or at least what can be done is limited.

1. Make sure battery is healthy before blaming other things.
2. Close apps that you don't need to run in background. Review running processes, you might be surprised what junk apps are running things in the background using cpu and battery.
3. Be aware that GPS/Location Services, wifi, and cellular connections all use battery. Poor/weak signals mean the phone tries to use more power to compensate, draining battery even faster. Turn off what isn't needed, or use one of the scheduling apps that does it for you.
4. The screen is the biggest power user. Minimize brightness, reduce rime before dimming, etc.

When mine drains exceptionally quickly , poor signal is usually to blame. Either I'm too far away in the yard and it is struggling to keep wifi, or I'm out somewhere that gets poor signal. For example, I was losing about 8% an hour today while doing nothing with the phone; I was at at a rural area grain elevator and the phone could only get 1 bar of 3g signal. It was running warm. Once I got closer to the city, it got a 4G signal and stopped the fast drain.