Cheap Mag 3D mod

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Hi, complete newbie here. Got in on the $5 3D Mag deal and found this site while searching the internet. I've searched through a number of threads, and it seems the 3D is pretty unpopular around here. But anyways...

What's the best CHEAP mod for the 3D? I'm talking a budget of $10-15 here (for a total of a $20 flashlight). Not talking hundreds of lumens. Just a pretty good upgrade from standard 3D. Also, will be using AA nimh, because I have tons of them.

Is it possible to get three cheap 3AA => 1D adapters (which I've searched around and can't find anywhere), and then throw in a 6-cell Xenon bulb? Seems quick, easy, and relatively cheap.

juancho

Enlightened
It may work if you use one dummy battery in your set of nine Nimhs, and for good meassure put a heavy washer bewteen the spring and last adaptor, what you trying to do here is increase the resistance so a 10.8 volts system don't fry your 9 volts bulb.
If you get some old original Electrolumens adaptors that have more resistance than the revision II, you may even get away without using the dummy.
Don't use batteries FRESH from the charger, let them REST for a few hours.

Welcome to CPF,
Juan C.

Greg

Newly Enlightened
For a really easy mod, which isn't that great but gives you better light output is to put 4 c cells into a 3 D body. Works pretty well, and every quick and easy to complete.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Is there a place to get the 3AA - 1D adapters anymore? I looked at elektrolumens and didn't see anything. Either revision I or revision II. I've seen these mentioned in a number of old searches, but can't seem to find anywhere to buy them.

So running 10.8 volts to a 9 volt bulb isn't considered "overdriving"? That'll just blow the bulb?

Let's say I got two 3AA adapters and one plain 1AA-1D adapter, for a total of 7AA, would the 8.4 volts give too dim a light on the 9 volt bulb?

And is there a better alternative for a bulb than the 6-cell Xenon that is still pretty cheap?

vhyper007

Enlightened
Welcome aboard. Forget about the life jackets and floatation devices. You are hooked, ah booked, aboard the USS Flashoholic. There is no turning back.

The adaptors from Waion in the prv post are good. Make a little effort to get an aluminum reflector, an 1185 bulb and 9 nimh batteries and ...voila
you have a mag85. Not too expensive and everyone has to ahve one sooner or later.

Regards,
vhyper

oh yeah, a glass lens, too.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help.

Looks like waion just ran out of adapters!

Also, I don't expect myself to get super hooked, cuz I don't have the funds for that, and am pretty good about sticking to budget when I don't have the money. Seems just 3 adapters (if I can get any at all) plus a regular upgraded Mag bulb would already be pushing my budget.

And I just read up on the Mag85. How much does a reflector and 1185 bulb run? And it seems the lens is not an absolute necessity? Cuz if you increase the batteries, you HAVE to upgrade the bulb at least somehow. And if you go the super bulb route, then you HAVE to upgrade the reflector. Am I right here?

twentysixtwo

Enlightened
Mag85 will run you around $8 (bulb)+ $3(lens) + $25+ (Al Reflector) + $12 (3AA to D adapters) = $48 - IF you can find the parts.

If you can get yer hands on the AA to D then you could also do a $1.30 (KPR118 bulb from rat-shack) for less than $15. The 3AA to D is really the key unless you run some Li-Ion batteries.

sniper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Deadshot11 said:
Hi, complete newbie here. Got in on the $5 3D Mag deal and found this site while searching the internet. I've searched through a number of threads, and it seems the 3D is pretty unpopular around here. But anyways...

What's the best CHEAP mod for the 3D? I'm talking a budget of $10-15 here (for a total of a $20 flashlight). I have tons of them.

Hi, and welcome! Good show on the $5 Mag. Just don't pay attention to those who take delight in Mag bashing. There are a lot of us dinosaurs that think they are pretty good, and they can be modded, if you feel the need.

If you want inexpensive, try a 3 cell Xenon bulb.They are brighter, and Mag says they run and last a bit longer, and they are fairly inexpensive, if you don't buy them at an ACE hardware store.

I've forgotten the name, but there is a relatively new led bulb for the Mag that runs about $13. I plan to order me one just to see.

There is no wrong way to enjoy this great hobby. One light or a dozen, there is room here. Enjoy!

juancho

Enlightened
The xenon bulbs from Maglite don't take any overdrive, the Kriptom is more robust to take overdrive. in your 7 batteries set up you may get good light with a 5 cell kriptom, but not with a 6 cell xenon.
Remember not to use batteries fresh from the charger, they output as much as 1.4 volts when fresh, coming down to operating range after a few hours (1.2 volts)
Juan C.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
So it sounds like the way to go is to see if I can get my hands on three 3AA>1D adapters, and throw those 9AA nimh's with a 6-cell krypton.

Will the 10.8 volts of the 9AA work well with the 6-cell krypton? Does overdriving a krypton bulb mean brighter with less bulb life?

Or would 7AA with a 5-cell krypton be more efficient?

stormtrooper77

Newly Enlightened
So if one were to use a 6D Mag-Num Star Xenon bulb in a say a 2C/D or 3C/D Mag, which batteries would you use and would the runtimes be the same? The Mag website states that the 6D Mag-Num Star Xenon will run 14-16 hrs on 6 D cells. Also, would lithiums be recommended?

I'm just looking to pick up a smaller Mag and would like it to be cheap, bright and not led. Of course I would have to come up with a holder for the smaller batteries.

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
I believe a Mag85 is a modded 3D-cell Maglite, usually modded to 9AA batteries with an aluminum reflector, new bulb (LED?), and lens. I don't know if there's a standard Mag85 setup, but it sounds like a superlight that a lot of people do.

I can't afford that.

So...looks like waion's adapters all sold out right before I joined this forum. Are there any alternatives? Any way to get a hold of more? I already PMed waion. Fivemega's adapter looks great, but is way out of my price range.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
4 NimH C cells in a 3D M*g was my favorite light before the superbulbs and other stuff arrived.

I used Writeright on the lense to remove the artifacts.

Caution though: I picked up my 4C light thinking I would use it to go out spotlighting the lake and ditch. I took one look at the beam, and chuckled. I picked up my 1274 Superm*g instead!

Before you ever see a superbulb in action, consider the 4C mod.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
While it may not quite be what you're looking for, the cheapest and easiest mod to a Mag 3 or 4 cell light is to replace the stock krypton bulbs with their xenon bulbs; about 3 bucks each at Home Depot. It's a quick simple replacement that makes a mediorcre dinosaur into an almost respectable piece of equipment. (The reflector from the 3D works much better than the 3C for throw.)

Deadshot11

Newly Enlightened
Awesome. Waion scrounged 3 3AA>D adapters for me.

So going to go with that and a 6-cell krypton.

Brighteyez, thanks for the recommendation. Now that I can get a hold of the adapters, I think i'm going to go the krypton route, cuz people have said that I can overdrive the krypton bulb better than the xenon.