Cheapest way to have emergency lighting? Im talking fuel vs battery ?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
+

What blows me away is that people spend actual money to have a cat around.

..sorry about that cat people
They've got their upsides (independent, self-cleaning, don't bark at squirrels) and downsides (aloof, cr_p in a box, attack shoes at random).

Really terrible pets? Sugar gliders - aggressive, they absolutely reek, always trying to die / get killed.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
3A937A2D-445A-4C20-9236-768BE4116CFD.jpeg

What's not to love about a flying rat? (sugar glider)

idleprocess

Flashaholic
What's not to love about a flying rat? (sugar glider)
I've never had a sense of smell that's by any means acute - I'd say it's well below average - and even to me the stench of the sugar glider is just too much.

The critters themselves emit a musk of sorts I could detect (I gather thus can be controlled via diet). But their effluvia - which they deposit about their enclosures - was really something else. I'm not one to react to scents generally at all and deep-cleaning those enclosures months after my sister's last glider had been re-homed made me nauseous.

Otherwise they're fast-moving with little apparent regard for their own well-being. They liked to attack the cats, who could have swiftly ended them once they got tired of evasion.

In the same category as the Nitecore LR40, there is the Luci Lux solar lantern. There are several varieties of these, some supporting both solar and USB charging. They offer a smaller footprint than the Nitecore LR40 lanterns, and while the Nitecore product is unquestionably more stylish, the Luci products are far more portable, and backpack-friendly.

Or you can - in the best tradition of CPF - get both. :devilish:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Rats are the best pets anyone who has had one will agree there clean smarter then most dog breeds . Love to be around humans

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
Getting back on track!!@:au:

I have been refreshing my flashlight collection and recently purchased a Sofirn LT1S: Sofrin Lanterns. I think it was around USD 46 with a battery! It is also a power bank. So let's say we get 500 charge cycles out of the battery; I would call that cost-effective, no CO, no fumes...

The reviews I have seen are good.

Here is a picture of it on my desk in moonlight mode:

IMG_0740.jpeg

bobfa

Newly Enlightened
The other " Lantern" I purchased is the Thrunite TS1 Survival Light. This is a battery bank 21700 with a clever USB-c head that is an LED light. There is a sleeve with lanyard holes and a magnetic tail. They include a magnetic hook to hang the light.

The Battery is 3400 MaHr 18650 with USB-C charging and a power bank function.

There is also a TS2 model that has a 21700 battery.

The whole thing is clever, and it comes with a cool cable for charging the battery and using the power bank functions.

$25 for the 18650 version and $30 for the 21700 version. I wish I had gotten the bigger one, just because!

IMG_0745.jpeg
IMG_0744.jpeg

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a couple of Sofirn LT1s (not LT1Ss) a year ago, one for home use, and one to donate to the caving expedition my club runs every summer (5 weeks camping on a mountain) which has traditionally used a Coleman lantern.
I haven't had to use the home one yet, but the one I gave to the expedition was very well received - much more convenient than using gasoline, and we have a good solar setup, so charging is easy.
The Anduril 2 UI also gave the people who like playing with stuff *plenty* of things to play with.

fuyume

Enlightened
I'm guessing a Coleman lantern using car gas

At the risk of sounding cheeky, that's not nearly enough information to go on.

What do you want to light? How brightly do you want it lit? How long do you need to light it? Do you need to be able to move the light?

Cheapest way to make light is to burn something you didn't pay for. Dynamo powered emergency flashlight is pretty cheap, too.

When I lived off-grid in New England, I used a Group 24 deep cycle battery with a 45 W solar panel out in a field I could carry the battery to for charging. I had a couple of 3 W 12 V LED lamps that gave me plenty enough light to see at night inside the cabin.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you line a jar with tin foil you can just capture the sunlight during the day & open it at night to let the light out.
Just make sure you have the shiny side facing inwards. If you use a really big jar It'll shine longer.
I find if you also crumple up some tinfoil and pu that in the jarr you can trap more sunlight as it just bounces around inside the ball and seems to help when you open it back up.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
No batteries, no fuel.

Attachments

• D5F5D554-3136-4820-8E96-060A3E0DE236.jpeg
    D5F5D554-3136-4820-8E96-060A3E0DE236.jpeg
    256.5 KB · Views: 78
  • 3026ED35-A07E-4461-8F71-0EB035D0FFBA.jpeg
    3026ED35-A07E-4461-8F71-0EB035D0FFBA.jpeg
    144.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 831798A2-3283-4D86-80E0-66CBE10FE5CA.jpeg
    831798A2-3283-4D86-80E0-66CBE10FE5CA.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 79

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'd like to offer, that none of us need the cheapest emergency lighting, as we all if not most of us have more lights than we will ever need. With that said, I am a big proponent of "Auto On" Emergency/ Power failure lights. They can be had, for about $10, with rechargeable batteries, and plug into a wall outlet, and come on when the power to that outlet goes out.

Strategically placed, they will light your way so that you can safely get your light supply.

Last edited:

6.5CM

Newly Enlightened
Solar-to-LiFe PO4 power center battery (enough thread drift)
For car camping and charging my 2 battery e-mountain bike when hunting and exploring mining ghost towns here in Nevada I have a 220 watt Off Grid TREK foldable solar "blanket" that secures to the roof of my SUV via cable locks. It charges a BLUETTI AC200 MAX Li Fe PO4 (lithium iron phosphorus, not Li-ion) storage battery. Or I can lay the solar "blanket" in my backyard to charge the BLUETTI storage battery at home.
Yeah, this system is initially spendy at just over $1,700. for each of the 2 parts. But it is totally reliable and will power my home freezer/fridge for 2 days AND charge several of my rechargeable lanterns, headlamps and flashlights.

The Li Fe PO4 battery is FAR less likely to catch fire than a Li-ion battery and, though 15% heavier, can deliver 3,500 charge/discharge cycles as opposed to the Li-ion's 800 cycles.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Solar-to-LiFe PO4 power center battery (enough thread drift)
For car camping and charging my 2 battery e-mountain bike when hunting and exploring mining ghost towns here in Nevada I have a 220 watt Off Grid TREK foldable solar "blanket" that secures to the roof of my SUV via cable locks. It charges a BLUETTI AC200 MAX Li Fe PO4 (lithium iron phosphorus, not Li-ion) storage battery. Or I can lay the solar "blanket" in my backyard to charge the BLUETTI storage battery at home.
Yeah, this system is initially spendy at just over $1,700. for each of the 2 parts. But it is totally reliable and will power my home freezer/fridge for 2 days AND charge several of my rechargeable lanterns, headlamps and flashlights.

The Li Fe PO4 battery is FAR less likely to catch fire than a Li-ion battery and, though 15% heavier, can deliver 3,500 charge/discharge cycles as opposed to the Li-ion's 800 cycles.
pictures or it doesn't count.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well regardless of cost or anything else, using a gasoline-powered..... anything, inside a home sounds like a really bad idea. Anytime there's a multi-day power outage there are always stories in the news about people who die from carbon monoxide poisoning in their homes from running a generator or stove or something.

When I had to go five nights with no power (unexpectedly) due to storm impacts, I don't think I burned through a single primary cell for lighting (I'll have to go back and read my notes). I was using (almost exclusively) AA and AAA rechargables that were already charged, and only using Quarks on low or moonlight, or Fenix E01s. In a few minute's worth of outside use, I ran a 2AA Quark on max just for fun, and another 18650 light for just a bit. But that was very limited. Mostly it was hunker-down inside time.

If the original question is for "emergency" lighting, that implies it's for a relatively limited time, not for months and months of off-grid living. Most any fairly recent LED light running on ordinary cells, on low outputs, will be plenty to fulfill the emergency need for indoor lighting. And by "low" I mean like 5 to 10 lumens, or moonlight mode for a basic night-light role. Not 200 lumens!!

Don't overthink it. Go back and read some of the old blackout story threads about the long east-coast blackouts and others. I think there was one CPF'er who went all week with just an old 5mm LED Arc AAA and like 5 batteries.

Got a AA or AAA light that has real low modes already? Good; now buy a pack of Lithium AA/AAA cells. Throw it in the closet (or wherever) with your emergency stash. Now you're good to go for standby emergency home lighting for the next 10 years.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many of us have tons of batteries, but i doubt many keeps all theirs 100% charged ready for emergencies. Those events happen when you least expect it. Gas lamp will be the most practical and cheap solution imo, especially if you able to run it of a 20lb gas tank.