CHECK. THIS. OUT. THE Elite XRaven

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aragorn:
this is the prototype i made for tom hoops of techass a couple of weeks ago http://fightthenight.tripod.com/trevor/raven.htm el<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The website is down. Tripid says you exceeded your monthly bandwidth allotment.
frown.gif

I tried it again a bit later and got this totally different message:
tripod.gif

This is scary stuff. Where the hell did it find login info for "toyletbowlbbs"? I've never "logged into" any Tripod service, and to top it off, all of my cookies were destroyed earlier today in a crash. Everyplace I normally have a cookie on (including CPF) had been wiped out. And this still says I'm logged into a Tripod site under "toyletbowlbbs".
Hmmmm....

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK Trevor-nice pix, but are you saying the LEDs are more powerful than the "stock" ones?
(I was told they Were already Nichias).

BTW-aren't you the same guy who used to be afraid of a soldering iron?
wink.gif
grin.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aragorn:
Nice pics! Only thing is they take too long to load, any chance you could compress`em a little more?
BTW does that light have the Rávn custom chip, or is it the same one from the Model 4 Xray?

Craig:
Tripod probably got your toyletbowlbbs log-in info from a cookie set by another Lycos Networks service. Been fiddling with the guestbok on the LED Museum site recently? That`s probably where it comes from.
It gets annoying when you look after 3 Tripod sites and HTMLgear stuff under 2 different names too- it`s often such a pain in the *** to log out of and sign in again as another member name. No idea why.

One of these days I`m going to buy my own web space and domain name and rid meself of all this Tripod muck. Notice how they`ve added another popup window to all their sites now! Even Trevor`s page has a pop-up-and-under window despite opting for on-page banners instead of a popup banner window like mine and Doug Quickbeam`s.

But for now, well, it`s free and the web site addresses aren`t horrendously long. So I`ll put up with it.

rolleyes.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Nice pics! Only thing is they take too long to load, any chance you could compress`em a little more?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Right now I am serving as webmaster for Aragorn on that site until he gets the hang of it. I'll check with him and see if he wants me to shrink them by 50% to 340x200 - That'll give good load time and retain much of the detail. Compressing them more as-is will cause just as much detail loss, if not more.

EDIT: yea, I'm going to compress them. I'm getting the bandwidth problem screen as well. The bandwidth problem is because the pics are so big. I'll switch them back if he wants to later.

EDIT 2: Crap.... I don't have the pics with me and the tripod file manager won't let me download them because of the bandwidth overuse.... It'll have to wait till tonight.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you`ll get away with compressing those a bit more. I don`t reckon normal people have the troubles I have, but on a clockwork 28K modem and gas fired PC it took ages to get even the first 4. I gave up at that point, it was starting to groan and emit smoke
tongue.gif

Bandwidth troubles- what limit have they set? I wouldn`t have thought a small site with only a few pages would go over any reasonable bandwidth limit. It wouldn`t surprise me if they`d cut it drastically, after all new Tripod sites have only 20Mb to play with. My sites still have 50 as I set`em up before the cut.

Looks like I`ll have to fork out the 5-10 bucks a month they want (per site!) for the upgrade (more b/w, no ads). Typical really. My ISP just started charging for their service too. I may have to stop buying so many flashlights
shocked.gif

rolleyes.gif
grin.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tripod limit is 1 gig per month bandwidth. That's why my site got whacked early last week. So here's the trick, register a bunch of sites, split your site into pieces, and link between them. Now each piece has a 1 gig bandwidth limit. This brought my site back to life... Also don't have to worry too much about that pesky diskspace limit. Of course, it's a bit more of a pain to manage, but it's still free.

If you look carefully, when you click on a Mods link on thelightsite.tripod.com it goes to thelightsite_mods.tripod.com and for reviews it goes to thelightsite_reviews.tripod.com. Linking between them is seamless. This doesn't seem to violate their terms of service in any way.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Quickbeam:
The tripod limit is 1 gig per month bandwidth. That's why my site got whacked early last week. So here's the trick, register a bunch of sites, split your site into pieces, and link between them<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is much the way I do it with The LED Museum. I have the actual HTML and some of the earliest pictures in one place, and the rest of the pictures and other data scattered willy-nilly across my other five accounts, all cross-linked. The only evidence the casual user would see of this happening is down on the progress bar at the bottom where it says which object is loading - this often jumps from URL to URL as things on the page load. This may be why I didn't experience a full throttle nosedive crash when Slashdot got ahold of it a couple of years back. Being "slashdotted" kills most ordinary websites for a day or two, even some commercial ones. Then again, I pay $28 a month too, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 gig per month? I was sure it was more. Perhaps that`s when you upgrade and pay the monthly subscription, I`m sure it was more like 2 or 3.

That`s an interesting idea about the multiple hosts. I reckon I`ll not have to worry for now cos when I launch the Torch site, it`s on it`s own Tripod domain, not on electriclights.tripod.com as present. And I`ll probably break up the bulb site a bit too as I get round to that one in the summer.

Trouble is- don`t you need seperate email addresses for each one? Tripod wouldn`t let me set up 2 accounts using one email address. Suppose I could always set up a load of free Lycos mail accounts and use the membernames to set up new accounts on Tripod.

One question- I know hotlinking images from one free Tripod page to another will work, but do you know if I can hotlink from a paid-for Tripod page to a free one? I really hate the fact that they`ve added a second stoopid pop up window about some crappy pop group to my page, so I think for the Torch Reviews Site, I`ll go ahead and upgrade. If I could have 2 other free Tripod sites to park images on, and link`em back to the advert-free paid for site, that`d be great. If not, well, I`m not sure. Maybe the extra bandwidth they offer in the upgraded site will be enough.

rolleyes.gif
confused.gif
tongue.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just went and checked- and yes, the upgraded "Plus" account which costs US$4.95/month gives 25 megs of space and 3 gigs of bandwidth. More than enough for a fledgeling site- so the day before I launch it, I`ll upgrade the Torch Reviews site`s account. 5 bucks a month isn`t much, and there`s the option of upgrading to add more bandwidth and more disk space too. I`ll have to find out the hard way about the cross-account hotlinking. Anyway I suppose as it grows, I could ask for voluntary donations or find a sponsor or two (as Craig has done with the flashlight-related ads on his site). But that`s a looooong way off!

tongue.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Trouble is- don`t you need seperate email addresses for each one? Tripod wouldn`t let me set up 2 accounts using one email address. Suppose I could always set up a load of free Lycos mail accounts and use the membernames to set up new accounts on Tripod.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I put them all on the same exact registration info and e-mail address...... They all point to a Lycos e-mail address - perhaps that makes a difference?
confused.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I shrank all the pictures today, so if you access the site again, be sure to do a refresh to get the latest pics from the site instead of your cache.

BTW... It's locked out again - I think the idiots at tripod set the bandwidth limit to 100 meg instead of 1000 meg - his site hasn't had 1000 meg go through it in 3 days - the bandwidth report even says so! Morons!

Sorry about the lack of comments, but Aragorn will need to learn HTML and add the details. I don't even have enough time to update my own site!