• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Cheers to Members of Candlepowerforums

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
So grateful to you all.
There has been discussion about the change in management style here on CPF. While we may not have so many designated staff officially watching over our forum, we each have the ability to help keep this place as great as ever. One can easily report content that is thought to be out of character for this domain.

And we can also continue to show some self respect and decorum.

Well done to you!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
EC31F852-465D-4460-9182-FF0370ED3125.jpeg

scout24

Flashaholic
I agree, the sailing is smooth here at the moment. I am still sad to have seen staff (myself included) either fade away or relinquish their duties whatever the circumstances. I feel part of the "good behavior" is the lack of traffic. As I type this there are a total of 20 members and 176 guests online. I still am saddened by the removal of a defined set of rules and expected conduct, but it's no longer my concern. Long live CPF regardless. 😊

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
I still am saddened by the removal of a defined set of rules and expected conduct,
Literally, posted and stickied at the top of the announcement forum. Rules and community guidance.

The community continues to show respect to each other in communication, and dealings. I think it's an example of how great the community and passion around lights of all sorts is.

scout24

Flashaholic
My apologies for finding the new community guidance more vauge and open for interpretation. Carry on.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I think most of the regular users here don't need a big yellow box at the top of each section with a bunch of stipulations for being allowed to speak about this hobby. And frankly I don't miss all of the "you violated rule X therefore this thread is verboten", except now I no longer feel the need to type "in before close".
So I do miss that part. ;)

But seriously, I think Kitro hit the bulls eye with this one. The vast majority that remain (you are correct Scout) have the courtesy to police themselves and gentley nudge others if the need arises. And I suppose if need be one can be reminded of the general rules of conduct. It's a kind of like the new twitter thing going on here lately where speech is a little less regulated. So far so good.

Indeed the times are-a changin' and maybe have changed. I woke up this morning thinking it's September already only to realize oh crap it's the end of November.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyday is a new day that allows us to choose to make better, or we can make choices that worsens us. I may not be strong today, but I definitely won't be stronger 30 days from now if I don't work everyday to become stronger.

Forum traffic has nothing to do with the lack of rules, mods or how this forum is ran. It's just the times changing. Although in the minority, I prefer this platform because I find that other platforms are merely to post a snapshot with little dialogue. The artsy side to this flashlight niche is unappealing to me, and this forum allows me to be a part of this niche without having to be a part of the artsy stuff.

I hope former moderators can fill the void left by removal of a forum title, and create meaningful content that makes this great place better.

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
CPF is my favorite place on the net. It was once booming, social media has killed many forums. I consider a bunch of folks here friends, even though we have never spoke. I went to the SHOT show in 2006 and 2008, met a bunch of you. Good times.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I don't miss the nit pickers.
A: "That light puts out a 6235 kelvin beam"
B: "nuh uh, it's 6237 kelvin".
A: "You're mom wears combat boots",
B: "well you're stupid"

Or "brand Q should be illegal because it says 1000 lumens but it's really only 987 lumens".
How about "brand BR549 needs to get with the times, they should have a 12,000 lumen light running off a 10440 by now".

I guess one could say this is chapter 3 of CPF. You had the original squad period, then the Greta (formerly known as Sasha) days and now (formerly known as Mr Ed) Jelly. Each one at a point in time where hobby was going from 2000 lumen incan flashlights to the LED taking over the industry with lumen wars and now the platue of sorts where the overall forum genre itself has become a thing of the past for many.

scout24

Flashaholic
Everyday is a new day that allows us to choose to make better, or we can make choices that worsens us. I may not be strong today, but I definitely won't be stronger 30 days from now if I don't work everyday to become stronger.

Forum traffic has nothing to do with the lack of rules, mods or how this forum is ran. It's just the times changing. Although in the minority, I prefer this platform because I find that other platforms are merely to post a snapshot with little dialogue. The artsy side to this flashlight niche is unappealing to me, and this forum allows me to be a part of this niche without having to be a part of the artsy stuff.

I hope former moderators can fill the void left by removal of a forum title, and create meaningful content that makes this great place better.
Kerneldrop-
You're right, every day brings choices. I like that sentiment. Some days I have a train of thought that isn't quite as articulate by the time it makes it from my brain to my fingers. I believe forum traffic correlates to general decorum in so far as it's more difficult to be an *** in a room full of familiar faces. I'd bet 80% of the posts here are made by a small group of posters, most who have been here a while and have read the room. This is good, I like coming in to read a thread and see familiar faces as much as I like seeing the enthusiasm of new ones.
FYI, while some staff has stopped posting, I can speak for myself and NBP (Hope you don't mind, Nick.) and say titles were voluntarily relinquished. I was here long before a title, will be here long after having my Flashaholic status restored, and like PSM consider some here as friends. The quality of my posting, however dubious, is not likely to change however. Ha! There's several posters in this thread I've chatted with over the phone, several about life and such away from the forum via messaging, and I've said for years that CPF has been a second home for almost 14 years now. Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like fixer, I too like it here, as it is.
It is great to hear scoutś perspective.
Some may remember that moderators and administrators were said to have significant discussions off to the side regarding forum matters, as well as additional commonalities and differences. One could feel a certain camaraderie amongst that group on published CPF posts. Safe to say it was Greta who provided the binding force. That is no longer, and understandably feels like a loss. Perhaps others will feel free to elaborate on this subject.