Chemical flavorings in e-cigs linked to "popcorn lung" disease

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
If you vape, you might want to lay off the fancy flavored ones. A study has linked them to the same type of lung disease that those factory workers from the popcorn factory got from the butter fumes, hence the nickname popcorn lung.

I don't smoke (or vape) but I thought this was worth passing along for those who do.

KuanR

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for posting this along. I currently vape casually right now and only use juices that have been tested to not contain diaceytel. This is a very new industry and it's hard to keep up with all the good and the bad but it's a good starting point

PhotonWrangler

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Yes, it appears (for now, at least) that diacetyl is the culprit. Be safe everyone.

InfinitusEquitas

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dug into this a bit further since I had a bit of time to kill while I was on vacation, and vaping up a small cloud. The same chemicals in greater concentrations are found in cigarettes, and popcorn lung has not been linked to cigarettes.

So my takeaway from what I read, is that vaping is not harmless, but still far far safer versus smoking, and is really not that much more dangerous than other common vices. I expect I did a whole hell of a lot more damage to my body through excessive drinking :/

I would love to see more studies on vaping, and it's effects, but also in a context with other risks - mainly smoking.

M

MrJino

Enlightened
Our population is staggering, we could lose a few and won't dent the near 8 billion.
Cigarettes have been proven to be deadly, yet it receives federal funding. They simply don't care, it makes a ton of money.

InfinitusEquitas

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
World population would be ideal in a highly technological society at around 500 million. So... as a species we can certainly afford to lose a few billion yes.

Flashlight Enthusiast
all things tobacco

employs over 100 million people worldwide

that dragon cannot be destroyed

InfinitusEquitas

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, that's where the greatest opposition to vaping is actually coming from - the tobacco industry.

Smoking rates are way way down from what they were 40 years ago too. As I see it, there is no need to destroy this dragon, just to tame it, and let people choose whether to tame it, or others.

Lantern32

Lantern32

Enlightened
I vape pure Vegtable glycerine (USP Grade). It is pretty tasteless, except for a little bit of a tang. I find it as close to harmless as vapor in your lungs can get. Note that I didn't say harmless in general, but it can't be too bad considering people with diabetes can use Pure Vegtable glycerine as a sweetener without raising their blood-sugar.