Chili -- got a go-to spice/herb blend for your favorite Chili recipe?

Johnny280

Newly Enlightened
Over the years, I've tinkered with various combinations to get that ideal flavor. My go-to blend usually includes chili powder for heat, cumin for earthiness, paprika for depth, garlic powder for a savory kick, and a hint of oregano for herbal notes. For a medium-sized pot, I start with about a tablespoon of chili powder and adjust from there based on taste. It's all about finding that balance that suits your palate.

Also, I've been focusing more on healthy eating lately and found a great solution with ordering natural food online. It's saving me a ton of time while ensuring I stick to nutritious choices.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any recipes because my family doesn't like chili or even being around it.
I however grow chillies, amongst them being Carolina Reapers.
Because I'm not allowed to cook with chillies, I'll finely slice raw ones and sprinkle them on my meal (which they also don't like).

At the moment I'm growing Yaki Blue, White Bhut Jolokia, Trinidad Moruga Scorpions and of course, Carolina Reapers.

Johnny, your recipe sounds awesome.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMG_5698.jpeg
IMG_5791.jpeg
IMG_5716.jpeg
IMG_5593.jpeg
IMG_5595.jpeg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Honestly, mine is the Dillo Dust dry rub from LaRue Tactical.
Mom loves it even more than I do. Great for more than just chili.

blinkjr

Newly Enlightened
I started with the recipe that came with my Ham-Beach crockpot from my college days in the 1970's. I stick with chili powder, cumin, and pepper. However, I use a combo of half ground beef and half spicy sausage. I brown the meats together with onion before dumping them in the crockpot. I also use tomato paste in addition to diced tomatoes. Mine is more stew-like than soupy. Great with a side of cornbread....

Santo

Newly Enlightened
This is my favorite chili. Three types of meats (although no beans), made with a can of beer, and packs a little heat. I think my mom got the recipe from a magazine years ago. It would take some prep time, but you could probably prep it and then slow cook it:

Coarsely chop or crumble 1 lb. mild or hot Italian sausages (casings removed) and put into a 6-8 quart pot. Stirring often, cook over medium-high heat until sausages are well browned, about 15 minutes; lift out meant and set aside. Discard all but about 2 T of the drippings.

Add 1 lb boneless lean beef chuck (cut into 1-inch cubes) and 1 lb boneless lean pork shoulder or butt (cut into 1-inch cubes) to the pot, a portion at a time, and stir often until browned, about 20 minutes; set aside as browned.

Add 2 medium chopped onions and 2 chopped cloves of garlic to pot and stir often until onions are limp; about 10 minutes.

Stir in a 28-oz can chopped tomatoes with their liquid, a 12-oz can beer (I like to use Guinness), 2 T chili powder, 1 T paprika, 1 t oregano, 1 t cumin, 1/4 t cayenne, 3 T lemon juice, a 7-oz can green chilis, 1 chopped jalapeno, and a chopped green pepper.

Return meats and any juice to pot. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat, cover and simmer until meats are very tender when pierced (about two hours). Stir occasionally.

Latest posts