Choosing an LED strip bundle

robolenno

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to LED strip lights and I'm sure this is a very amateur question, but I'm confused about packages like this that you find on eBay - *link removed

This is 20 meters of 5050 RGB (30 LED/m) which from what I understand would run at roughly 144w... but the power supply and controller box included are only 10A which at 12V DC means they only supply a maximum of 120w, correct? So the adaptor is underpowered for the length of LED strip in this package? I'm seeing bundles like this all over eBay that come with 10A or 12A power supplies and I'm thinking you would want at least a 15A power supply for 20 meters of these particular LED strips. Am I wrong about any of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

chaosdsm

Enlightened
I would NEVER buy LED strip lighting from eBay, but that's just me.

As to the question, for a 144w strip with a 120w power supply, the strip will only run at ~ 120w with dimmer overall output. No problem for the strip, but the power supply being continuously run at maximum capability will create problems, shortened life, excess heat, risk of fire, etc....

There are several online vendors who deal specifically with LED lighting including strip lighting, I suggest checking those out instead (google or favorite search engine for 12V LED strip or 12V LED ribbon as some vendors list them as ribbon lighting). I have several vendors saved to my favorites on my desktop PC, which is unfortunately out-of-order due to a failed SSD. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is ecololcityled.com they have both bundles, & individual components to suit just about any need, & strips ranging from about 70 lumens / ft to over 600 lumens / ft in both 12V DC & 24V DC to suit most lighting needs. They also list lumens per foot, watts per foot, & maximum recommended series connection length for all of their LED strips to help you make a better informed buying decision. Sure you're probably going to spend more than buying off ebay, but the warranty support alone is worth it.

When choosing a power supply, it should be at least 10% over the maximum draw of the lighting strip, so a 144w strip should have at least a 160w power supply.

Last edited:

Ballz Deep

Newly Enlightened
Chaosdsm is correct. The 120 watt power supply will most likely burn out with the 144 watt demand from the lights. And good luck sending back anything to ebay for warranty or refund, it might last a week or two. He is also correct with the 10-15% buffer you want for your power supply to keep them from running too hot. So you would want a power supply of around 165 watts. That website ecolocityled does no their poop very well and carries a strip light call rgb extreme that can be ran in series up to 30m. They have lots of other strip lights as well. Here is the link to LED Strip Light for ecolocityled. They even have a shitload of controllers to choose from. They have warranties on there lights for 2 years I believe. You will get what you pay for, but your better off doing it once and doing it right. What type of project are you doing?

SemiMan

Banned
There are LED strips from 3 watts/meter up to 10+ watts/meter. Without knowing how many watts / meter, there is no way to say for sure whether that power supply is undersized or not. How many LEDs has little impact as you don't know how hard they are driven. You can find 100 leds/meter at 5 watts/meter and under, and you can find 10 watts with 50 leds. No way to know for sure without the specs.

In terms of over-sizing the power supply, there is no set rule. Any properly designed supply that is also properly safety tested will run at 100% without being dangerous. Good supplies are designed to run at 100% in hot locations and still last 50,000 hours. Poor ones won't run 25000 hours at room temp at 80% load. It is certainly true that running them at lower power will make them last longer, but a good quality supply at 100% will last longer than a poor one at 80%. That said, if its E-Bay, count on it being poor. I would caution against anything without REAL safety certifications like UL, TUV, ENEC, etc. CE is not a safety cert.

Semiman

wraunch

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone figured this out? I need to run about 70' of RGB LEDs. I suppose 5050 LEDs. I have one 15 amp power outlet in the light tray where these will go. I need to be able to control all 70' with one IR remote. I have looked at the ebay stuff LED Wholesalers stuff on Amazon, etc. I need to know what size power supply will I need for that and what repeaters are needed? I would love to avoid running drop cords all over the tray if possible.