Christmas gift father allround headlamp long runtime

Kamerat

Enlightened
Dear all good people,

I have been looking a lot but cannot seem to find the perfect headlamp for my father for Christmas. I would really appreciate some help!

The light will both be used outside when chopping wood, in the garage etc. and on walks in the forest. He wants the light to shine for more than 5 hours, but do not want a batterypack in his belt (the wire would get in the way). He got a ZL51 a few years back and complaints that it only lights up for less than an hour (full throttle all the time). So more than 200 lumens for more than 5 hours without a batterypack in the belt. When it comes to CRI or color, that is not the most important thing. Less that $150 would be good.

Thank you all!!

Kamerat

Enlightened
And I forgot - he really wants it to be rechargeable - without taking the battery out of the light. :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Maybe a 18650 ZL is an option? Quick look, they don't do 200L for 5 hours, but ZL does rate 150L for around 11. In-light charging for a headlamp? Can't think of one ATM.

Kamerat

Enlightened
Thank you very much kj2! Yes a ZL 18650 light would be perfect, if I did not need in-light charging. I guess Petzl Tikka R+/RXP, Nitecore HC90 and other have in-light charging, but they dont have ZL quality/power etc.

hazza

Newly Enlightened
I thought of the HC90 too, it's the only light I can think of that meets all the criteria. Although it probably does 200 lumens for 5 hours ish, the UI isn't ideal for selecting that. Personally I'm no fan of Nitecore, but the HC90 seems popular enough.

The Petzl lights you mention are good ideas, one of those would probably be my first choice.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Suggest you google some of the leading makes as it is hard to remember the run times on so many offered types.

MMD

Enlightened
Try armytek wizard pro. Sorry no in-light charging. Throw in a 4 cell carrier full of LG hg2 or (insert favorite high capacity 18650 here) and he'll have 200 lumens for almost a couple days. Armytek site shows 200 lumens for 8.5 hours. Not sure about real life. I have the v1 basic wizard and like it.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Led Lenser has a couple models that meet all those requirements. Check the R models.

Swede74

Enlightened
I know this is not exactly what you are looking for - the Lumonite Compass Mini R is a rechargeable headlamp powered by (I presume) a 16340 cell which will give you 230 lumen for only a little more than an hour. However, on the website that sells it it says: "A new generation of rechargeable headlamps" so maybe there is a chance a 18650 version is in the pipe? That would be my positive interpretation. I know of only one store, Valostore, that sells Lumonite.

Apparently ArmyTek has been involved in the design of at least one Lumonite light: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Compass-1000&p=4520708&viewfull=1#post4520708

I should mention that Valostore ships to Sweden and Finland; "Till Norge och Danmark under speciella överenskommelser och större volymbeställning".

Looking back at what I have written so far, I realize that by recommending a light that does not meet your requirements and can be found only in a store that does not deliver to your country, I have been more of a nuisance than help, so I should probably stop talking now.

686a7d8.gif

D6859

Enlightened
Looking back at what I have written so far, I realize that by recommending a light that does not meet your requirements and can be found only in a store that does not deliver to your country, I have been more of a nuisance than help, so I should probably stop talking now.

I was just about to tell you I noticed last night that there's 18650 version of the headlamp... I wonder why they're selling those headlamps only for such a small market. I think only a few will buy that headlamp for 179 euros.

Meanwhile, you can find Armytek Wizard Pro v2 (200 lm 8h 30min) for $USD 104.95. I read today that you can find a 8% discount code at CPF making it total 96.55 $. I've been really pleased with my Wizard Pro v1.5. If your father doesn't need firefly modes or any extra stuff the pro version has, there's non-pro model, which costs 74.95$ (68.95$ with discount). See https://www.armytek.com/products/flashlights/multi-flashlights/

Last edited:

Kamerat

Enlightened
Thank you all!! JetBeam HR25 ordered + considering to buy the Armytek Wizard v2 (not pro) with discount.

Interesting read about the Lumonite light. Thank you for all the info.

KCL Knives

Newly Enlightened
You could get a Fenix head band which will take most standard lights. I use mine with a Foursevens Quark Pro that takes a single cr123. If I need some serious light the Trunite TN12 fits also. I bet one of OLights Batton series with rechargeable base and paired with the Fenix headband would meet your requirements.