• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Chrome PD Lube?

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
What would be the best type for a Chrome PD threads? The black one that I own is nice a smooth to activate, but the chrome PD doesn't move as smoothly. What do you use to help break in the threads? Thank for the help on this.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The chrome PD's have a higher plating build due to the nickel and then chrome flash. They just need to be worked. It does help to put some pressure in terms of both compression and tension on the head to sleeve and "crank" on them. As the lube picks up loose burrs and bits at some point, cleaning off the lube and re applying a lube will help.

I really like the looks of the chrome and I have been wearing one on a swivel belt clip and it seems that the chrome may actually wear better than the anodize but the break in is a PITA and I am finding that I have to put in a fair amount of elbow grease as well as grease before I even send these out. :(

When the current batch of chrome sets are all built out, I don't think I will be doing another.

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Don, I though I broke it or something :sweat:. I'll be applying the elbow grease tonight.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
some fine grit lapping compound can make quick work of it but if you don't have lapping compound, that is not a friendly solution.

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
McGizmo said:
some fine grit lapping compound can make quick work of it but if you don't have lapping compound, that is not a friendly solution.
Sorry Don, didn't mean that one literally :poke: :thinking:. I've been just cleaning the threads and reapplying silicone grease every few days. Looks like I have to make a run to the hardware store to find some lapping compound now. Thanks.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might also try a small amount of toothpaste; Colgate, Crest or the like. Just make sure to clean it off thoroughly before you lube. Oddly enough an old toothbrush works well. :D

-LT

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:
You might also try a small amount of toothpaste; Colgate, Crest or the like. Just make sure to clean it off thoroughly before you lube. Oddly enough an old toothbrush works well. :D

-LT
Serious question now, does it matter if its gel or paste? :grin2:

Geogecko

Enlightened
:naughty: Got to show off the PD today. The dude was like, wow, that's really bright, especially for an LED.

Now that I've been carrying it for several days now, the only thing I don't like, is that the button (piston) gets pocket lint on it fairly easily. While it's easy to get out, it collects there rather quickly.

I've gotten several occasions to use the light, although I have to admit, most of them have been around the house.

I may be taking a trip down to Louisianna later in the month, to help with relief, and if I do, I think the PD will be going with me... Gotta get a couple shots before I can go though...:sweat:

Edit. Oops, I meant to place this in the PD order thread...oh, well. I've done that twice today.:ohgeez:

kennyj

Enlightened
I've actually been thinking that a rubber boot of some sort over the tail end of the PD might be nice for lint (I've been having a similar problem with dust and debris, and I use tab carry off my belt) as well as to reduce dings from dropping or bumping the PD. I've no idea what exactly would work well off-hand; I haven't really given it much thought. Right now I'm more concerned about protecting the PD's head (hopefully my SF F04 beamshaper will arrive this week to help with that.)

The merits of actually going to such an extent to protect what is essentially a nigh-indestructable tool are debateable. It could be said that for very dirty/dusty environments, protecting the tailcap would be beneficial to prevent incidental contamination of the O-ring with potential abrasives. It's not easy for stuff to work its way in that far, but it IS possible in extreme circumstances.

I guess you could go really nuts and encase the battery tube and tail end in Kydex, but that's going too far IMO.

Dr_Joe

Enlightened
Lunal_Tic said:

-LT

You may find that tooth "polish" (for stain removal/whitening; ie Pearl Drops or similar) works even better :grin2:

diddy808

Newly Enlightened
I'm trying the toothpaste on the threads, seems to be working well. Its starting to feel looser now. Thanks for the advice LT.
I'm gonna pickup some lapping compound tomorrow to test out.

:thanks: guys!!

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to help. Make certain you clean it all out or you will continue to chew up the threads. That's why I like toothpaste, it's made to wash off with water.

-LT