Cibie Oscars vs Hella Rallye 4000 - Which are more durable?

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
I am adding auxiliary driving lights to my pickup for improved high beam seeing on country roads. I'm most likely going with a pair of Cibie Oscars (or the plus or super versions) or Hella Rallye 4000s. My question has to do with the longevity of the reflective coating. I've seen used Cibies with flaking/corroded coatings which cause me concern. Do the Hellas hold up better? Do I need to seal either brand somehow to keep moisture out?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Any attempt to "seal" lamps is practically guaranteed to make them degrade faster and worse. All lamps designed and built without factory-sealed lens/reflector units will have a finite lifespan. How long they last depends on where they're operated; if you drive on salty winter roads or live near the ocean (salt air) they're going to have a shorter life than if you live someplace like Arizona.

I don't think I'd give a nod to either of these as being notably more durable than each other. They're both very good, well-made lamps. The LED versions will last much longer than the halogen, because those are factory-sealed and they see a lot less thermal cycling.

Of course, all of these lamps are expensive. You might want to consider doing this instead.

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Virgil. I have read that thread and considered the approach of the Cibie H1 high beams mounted in a Grote housing. I wasn't sure how the reach and spread would compare with an Oscar + driving beam.

If I was to pusue the H1's, I'd like your opinion; if you were to do this on your own vehicle, would you go for the wider beam of the flat lens or the longer beam of the convex lens. Also, Grote has a rubber PAR 46 housing in addition to metal housings. If the appearance of the rubber housing suits the vehicle, which I think it will for a pickup, it seems to make sense from a vibration tolerance and moisture sealing standpoint. The downside would be the potential to overheat the bulb due to poor heat transfer. What's your opinion?

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
One other thing about the Cibie H1 high beams in a Grote housing. Unless I'm missing something, I can get the Cibies for $76USD each and the housing for $22USD each. The Hella Rallye 4000 Eurobeam goes for about $100USD each. So both options cost the same. Do you still think the Cibies are the way to go?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
I wasn't sure how the reach and spread would compare with an Oscar + driving beam.

Comparable.

would you go for the wider beam of the flat lens or the longer beam of the convex lens

Probably the convex.

Also, Grote has a rubber PAR 46 housing

Not big enough (too shallow) and nowhere near sturdy enough in terms of aim retention. Get the linked metal ones.

Hartland

Newly Enlightened
What is the part number for the Cibie (Valeo) convex high beams? I found 082369 but I think that might be the flat lens number.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
082369 is correct. If you're being asked to pay over $80/ea, keep shopping (elsewhere).