clones wars

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now look what you`ve gone and made me do! I only went and ordered 6 of the silly things (hope they have that many left)! Well, come on- at that price, they`re worth it just to rip apart for the batteries (for my Real Photons), and LEDs (for experiments and stuff like that)- way cheaper than buying them seperately. To be honest, if they`re actually useable as torches too, well that`s a bonus.

Nice one
smile.gif

tongue.gif

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
I've found some very cheap Photon II clones at gadgetshop.com. They normally sell them for £5 but are now selling them for £2!! You'd be hard pushed to find just the batteries at this price.

They do a blue LED in a translucent blue case and a white in a similar clear case. The blue is very bright - brighter than an Arc-AAA but has a narrower beam.

The white is about the brightness of an Infinity (maybe a tad brighter). Again it is a narrower beam but without any blue hotspots. The colour is very blue compared to the Infinity (or Arc-AAA or real Photon) so perhaps the blue spot covers the whole beam! I looked at several whites and the colours varied from a red tint to a green tint.

They appear to be close clones of the Photon II - little switch and everything. The thumb pad doesn't have the concentric rings and of course it doesn't say 'Photon' underneath. Cheap Chinese copies I guess. The white has a neat small beam that is great for map reading in the car.

I've just looked at their site now and can't seem to find the blue (#21613) one so perhaps they are selling off old stock and it is now discontinued. The white (#21614) is shown (look under keychains).

APW

Newly Enlightened
I got a blue and a white from gadgetshop as well. Like the blue but not the white. Replaced the white one with Nichia Blue-Green and .... wow, very bright and very nice indeed. The plastic quality is of course not as good as Photon II but still .... the price - nice deal. As small and as light as photon II. It is not hard to use the momentary switch. Chris, if you still remember the ebay (fake listing) photon II, the gadgetshop one is much better than that.

Cheers,
Andy

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chris, if you still remember the ebay (fake listing) photon II, the gadgetshop one is much better than that.

I sure do, I still have two of them (my Dad saw the white, liked it, so I let him have that one- he`s easilly pleased). Nice LED in the blue one, white was OK but the green was dreadful. Interesting to a LED-addict, but dreadful to a torch-addict.

Glad to hear these are better. I might just stick one in the "to be reviewed on the new site" box.....

tongue.gif

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Well, come on- at that price, they`re worth it just to rip apart for the batteries (for my Real Photons), and LEDs (for experiments and stuff like that)- way cheaper than buying them seperately. To be honest, if they`re actually useable as torches too, well that`s a bonus.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My thoughts exactly. I bought several and replaced some whites with a flashing red, a dodgy Toshiba orange (shows flowery pattern on objects) and a Nichia green. The other spares I can cannibalise for LEDs and batteries.

As I said above, the white is a comparible brightness to the white Infinity, great for tasks but a bit dim otherwise. Its best attribute is the smooth beam without a distracting blue hotspot. Depends what you want it for I guess.

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Great deal for UK. BAD deal for US. Shipping is 10 pounds to over here!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<g> Now you know what we feel like here in rip-off Britain.
wink.gif

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps the *new* Welsh Museum may prove to be such a mythical historie ......

Today it is a Myth....tomorrow, well OK make it a month...who knows?

(BTW I`m referring to the new Imaginatively Titled Torch Reviews Site- the updated South Wales Bulb Museum will be longer still, but pressure isn`t quite so intense on me to work on that one just yet).

It`s just been excuse after excuse from me I know, sorry about that, but remember that I just don`t get too much time to be a Web monkey. If I`d known how much time it took this time last year, I`d have thought very long and very hard before deciding if I wanted to launch a web site. But I`m here now and I don`t want to give up.

I`d love to have a big popular site like Craig`s, but for that I`d need to be able to spend as much time on it as he does. Such a masterpiece like the LED Museum can`t just be thrown together in a few spare moments every week. There`s hours and hours of work every day in that site, and it shows. Ideally I`d like mine to be quite good too, it`ll just take a little longer.

But- today I finally completed the main page format after a few weeks of doing nothing to it (I suspended any major web site work over christmas as I just needed a break, things were getting too much), the improved review format is as good as ready and tomorrow, I`ll begin transferring the old thumnail index pages to the new page layout. Then....ooh, if it all goes accordingly it`ll be ready before I know it.

Shall I tempt fate? Oh, go on. (I can always push it back if I need to).

PRELIMINARY LAUNCH DATE- Febuary 20th, exactly one year after launching electriclights.tripod.com.

I`ll say no more for now. Got to get back to work...

(btw- none of you would want to know how much my E2-HA cost me from a shop in Cardiff
shocked.gif
)

rolleyes.gif
shocked.gif
tongue.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
... the new site .....
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your new site Chris - that reminds me of an interesting story ......
rolleyes.gif

There is a legend that King Arthur and his Knights of the Round Table are merely a-sleeping, frozen in time in a secret cavern "somewhere" near Glastonbury. Should Olde Albion be deemed to be in mortal danger, then the mighty Wizard "Merrlyne" will awaken them, to ride to the defence of our Fair Realm.
Perhaps the *new* Welsh Museum may prove to be such a mythical historie ......

bluegreen, I've seen a mini light in the Gadget Shop, but it's a £1 "jelly plastic" thing, not as well constructed as the Photon by any means.

darell, we here in the UK have so few products, begrudge us not, Sirrah !
If I told you the UK prices of SF's, you would clean faint away.

US of A prices are good, but: adding a $50 shipping charge, or just refusing to deal with overseas orders - pshaw !!

Were it not for "The Prince", the very real and down-to-earth Mr. Tim Flanagan, I would be bereft of SureFires.

Woe, woe is us UK members,

lightlover
frown.gif
shocked.gif
:$$$'s:

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
They still do the squishy jelly thing.

I think I ordered a couple of those too along with the white ones- I actually ordered 3 different types of keychain light in total, well I can`t resist stuff that glows and felt like trying some out- especially at 50p each! Part of me wished it would be a blue LED in there but at that price, I wasn`t holding my breath.

And I got a plasma globe too- not the traditional type, but one that works on the same principle as Craig`s "Lumisource" Planet Earth/Borg Cube lamps. Blue one in case anyone was wondering.

rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluegreen:
... powered from two little silver oxide cells (AG3s I think but don't quote me)... they are only 50p each now! If you need the batteries for something else then these are just crazy prices.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bluegreen, in mine it's 2x alkaline LR41's.
(Sorry, but I 've got to quote you !! )
Please check if yours are actually silver oxide cells: if they are, I'll buy 20 tomorrow !

lightlover
wink.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bluegreen:
<g> Now you know what we feel like here in rip-off Britain.
wink.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was thinking the same thing when I typed my post, but I didn't want to sound snotty!

I'm glad you guys are getting some great deals...

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
bluegreen, I've seen a mini light in the Gadget Shop, but it's a £1 "jelly plastic" thing, not as well constructed as the Photon by any means.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They still do the squishy jelly thing. It's quite cute and has a 3mm red LED powered from two little silver oxide cells (AG3s I think but don't quote me). Not very bright though. They come in blue (#912) and turquoise (#1287) translucent cases. Look under keychains. The best bit is they are only 50p each now! If you need the batteries for something else then these are just crazy prices.

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
Bluegreen, in mine it's 2x alkaline LR41's.
(Sorry, but I 've got to quote you !! )
Please check if yours are actually silver oxide cells: if they are, I'll buy 20 tomorrow !

lightlover
wink.gif
grin.gif
blush.gif
smile.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called my friend who bought them for spares and he said they are LR41s. I'm sure I read AG3 somewhere, but not to worry.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my Gadget Shop order arrived this morning, and.....no white LEDs
frown.gif
They are all out of stock, and the first I knew of it was a hand written note on the packing slip with the order. Too bad. Doesn`t life suck sometimes?

But....there were two other types of torches in there (and a Plasma Globe too!). Here`s a few brief observations about those torches....

gadgetshopsqueezeled.jpg

gadgetshopsqueezeledlit.jpg

The "jelly" keychain squeeze light runs on two LR41 alkaline button cells and has a red LED. Brightness is maybe just less than the Infinity, except I havn`t got a red Infinity so can`t say for sure. It`s not blinding, but would be OK as a keyhole-finder. It`s quite a wide beam, with some rings but not too bad. I`ll do a beam shot tonight after dark. Battery life, well how much juice is in a LR41 button cell. I expect the current to be between 25 and 30mA initially.
All in all, not bad for 50p each! Not bad at all....

gadgetshopbulletled.jpg

gadgetshopbulletledlit.jpg

The "bullet type" keychain has a sturdy and attractive machined aluminum body....but that`s where the praise ends. It`s dim, very dim. Dimmer than the squeeze-light. It has 3, yes 3, LR41 button cells and a red 10mm Super-Jumbo LED, lens exposed at the end. The beam, is nice and round with a sharp edge, but I think it may be a little too dim for my video setup to readilly capture its profile. I`ll try tohugh.

Here`s a thing- I wondered why it was so dim, so took it part to check the batteries. They are enclosed in a two piece black plastic insert which also holds the LED, and I noticed something that wasn`t right. One of the LED leads that contacts the negative button of the top battery was a little too long and shorted out between the top and side of that cell, prematurely relieving it of its internal stored energy. The other 2 were OK. I actually got 2 of the other squeeze lights so popped out a battery from one of them (not having any LR41s lying round here elsewhere) and stuck it in place of the shorted cell, but not before correcting the LED lead trouble, as shown.

gadgetshopbulletledproblem.jpg

Still dim. Measures about 4.4 volts in total off load and about 2.4 volts on load, so it just must be a dim LED. The current could be anything up to 40+ mA initially, but that would soon roll off.

I`m undecided as to whether to add these to the huge pile of "to be reviewed", if the Gadget Shop carries on selling them (ie, it wasn`t a clearence sale), I may do. But after I`m done, I`ll be changing out that underperforming red LED in this bullet light, probably for one of those super-bright Toshiba yellow ones. OK so they have a really narrow beam, but are very bright viewed head on so may be reasonable for signalling, or something. Alternatively since it has three cells/4.5v, I could use a white LED- got some of those Hosfelt 10mm ones here. They`re not great, but are bright enough close up. It`s a nice enough body, too bad the stock LED is so poor.

Oh yeah, and that Plasma globe is pretty cool too...

blueplasmaball.jpg

shocked.gif

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
Well, my Gadget Shop order arrived this morning, and.....no white LEDs
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

All together now... Ahh...

Seems they've been cleaned out. The website doesn't even list them anymore. The shops might still have some.

Chris, if you mail me your address I'll send you one of my whites. Though as you say if they are discontinued it may be a bit pointless.

The jelly lights are growing on me. My friend wants to find a 3mm bright blue to replace the red. Might still be a bit dim running at 3V.

The globe looks great. I thought you were talking about the thing the borg have above their heads in the regeneration booths (whatever they're called?) Argh! Now I'm going to have to get one!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you mail me your address I'll send you one of my whites.

thanks
smile.gif
I`ll zap you an email in a moment. Be nice to see what they`re like.

The globe looks great. I thought you were talking about the thing the borg have above their heads in the regeneration booths (whatever they're called?) Argh! Now I'm going to have to get one!

I have one of those too, got it from Ebay for £25 last year. Look for the seller "plasmaball", he often lists them- and other fun glowy stuff too. I think they`re usually called "plasma plates", but I`ve seen them referred to by a few names including an "Einstein Disc".

borgplate.jpg

This one`s 12" diameter, the Borg use larger ones, probably 18". The little blue globe is about 8" tall, with a 5" dome.

We are the Flashaholics. Resistance is futile. You will be assymilated!

tongue.gif

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
This one`s 12" diameter, the Borg use larger ones, probably 18". The little blue globe is about 8" tall, with a 5" dome.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Uh, I've already got one. A green 12". Bought locally at a shop called phase4 in Colwyn Bay. They've long since closed though
frown.gif
Paid far too much for it. I've seen them in red and blue also. Can't remember the place - one of the many gadget shops. Not seen any 18".

We are the Flashaholics. Resistance is futile. You will be assymilated!
I will comply, 171 of 1142.