Close call with the cops...

O

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:
many years ago I had some moron tailgating Me while in a construction zone. I was allready speeding a bit and was not going to push it. The other car also had his high beams on and it was getting on my nurves. I just so happened to have a 1.5millon CP spot light with me so I poped him though My rear window, He turn his lights off then back on and still tailgatted Me so I poped him agen. He ended up shutting his lights off till the end of the construction zone. To this day I don't know why the moron did not use his low beams unless they did not function and was too cheap to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never shine a light into the eyes of a motorist. Someone could have been killed. Maybe you.

oldgrandpajack

jtice

jtice

Flashaholic
I live in the middle of town, I can get to the middle of no where in the woods in about 20 minutes though, but eh. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I am out in the back yard a good bit testing out new lights and mods.
The problem is, I am surrounded by houses, so anywhere I point a light, its shinning on a house.
I try to use the tree tops around here the most, that way its not directly on a house.

But, when your out in the backyard with spotlights, its not that easy to keep the neighbors happy.
I cant beleave I havent had the cops over my house yet..... for light related matters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Right after I got my first Arc LS, and a SF E2e, a cop stopped me on my way back from a buddies house.
There was a tree in the road, and he was telling me to take another road to go around it.
BUT, while walking up to my car, what does he do? Yep. Blast me right in the face with his,.,, [email protected], LOLOLOL
I was THIS close to whipping out my E2e and blinding him.
I really dont understand why they do that, they would be pissed if I did that to them.

Hmmmm, well, I have a THOR on the way,,, cops might be over my place yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Draco_Americanus

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:
many years ago I had some moron tailgating Me while in a construction zone. I was allready speeding a bit and was not going to push it. The other car also had his high beams on and it was getting on my nurves. I just so happened to have a 1.5millon CP spot light with me so I poped him though My rear window, He turn his lights off then back on and still tailgatted Me so I poped him agen. He ended up shutting his lights off till the end of the construction zone. To this day I don't know why the moron did not use his low beams unless they did not function and was too cheap to fix it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never shine a light into the eyes of a motorist. Someone could have been killed. Maybe you.

oldgrandpajack

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the person should not have been rideing Me rear with his highbeams on. anyway I know the safty hazards of that and it was 9 years ago.

raggie33

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im preety sure leo use that tatic for there safety so they can see you.and ya cant see them well.they have a pretyty unsafe job

A

Avix

Newly Enlightened
considering the attatudes of far to many cops nowadays, it's a wonder they didn't just shoot you and say they saw you pointing something at them, and they would have been right in this case too. I wonder how what you did would have looked on a dash cam up till just before you turned on the light. personaly, I would have gone for the adjusting the mirror trick. thats what I do with UAV's blinding me with headlights.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I ALWAYS try to give Police the utmost respect and courtesy.

After all, the Sheriffs Dept. here has a LOT of shoots! I would NOT like to be one of them!

I will NEVER shine a bright light AT an officer. I might challenge his flashlight with mine though, a little friendly "which one is better".

glenthemole

glenthemole

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Avix said:
I would have gone for the adjusting the mirror trick. thats what I do with UAV's blinding me with headlights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why are UAV's following you? Is there something we should know? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was wondering about that myself...UAVs usually don't go after wheeled vehicles on the road. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Banshee

Banshee

Enlightened
UAV For those (like me who don't know what a UAV is...

PlayboyJoeShmoe

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I think you have much bigger trouble than light if one of THOSE is following you....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

T

tygger

Enlightened
a few years ago, when my brother was a flatbed driver, a car skidded off the freeway in front of him. He stopped, called police, and made sure they were okay, which they were. anyway, highway patrol shows up with thier mags and in the mean time my brother whips out his 4D pelican dive light i gave him to light up the car in the ditch. After a minute they put thier lights away and asked if he could light it up for them while they inspected the car. They kept asking him what kind of light it was and where he got it. Definitely a clear case of lumen envy.

M

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
tygger said:
Definitely a clear case of lumen envy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, lumen envy!

Mike

C

Corolla

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
_Mike_ said:
[ QUOTE ]
tygger said:
Definitely a clear case of lumen envy.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, lumen envy!

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif

S

Samoan

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oldgrandpajack said:
[ QUOTE ]
markdi said:
snip of idiocy...
md.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are lucky to be alive to tell this tale!

NOT VERY BRIGHT! No pun intended. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

For all the police knew, you could have had a gun in the other hand. We live in very serious and dangerous times.

oldgrandpajack

PS: I apologize if this is considered flaming, but I strongly felt something needed to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't consider it flaming. The first thought to jump into my head was, "What an ***. Was he looking to get shot?" To be honest the whole thing read like a "What I wish I could have done" story.

To stay on topic. A few weeks ago I was driving home exhausted from a gig when I got pulled over. I lucked out when I asked the officer if he knew a particular Lieutenant and Sergeant I had been working with all night. He did and told me to be careful and get home. I had my SF 9P with P91 HOLA but never considered giving the officer a shot in the eyes even tho his spot had my whole truck lit up.

-F

Wingerr

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Banshee said:
UAV For those (like me who don't know what a UAV is...

[/ QUOTE ]

UAV to me is an Urban Assault Vehicle - my term for a ratty, park it anywhere, city vehicle to counter the park by Braille, devil-may-care bumper cars. Just something handy about not having to worry about little nicks and scratches, inevitable in city life- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Empath

Empath

Administrator,
Staff member
Supporter
Mark, I see, is from Portland. Maybe they didn't shoot because they were likely still feeling the bad publicity they've been getting for shooting unarmed drivers in traffic stops. Of course most of the people they shoot are black. Maybe Mark isn't black.

R

rfdancer

Newly Enlightened
The reason the police shine their lights in your eyes is to destroy your night vision and enhance their survivability. They have been taught to do this to put whoever they're dealing with at a disadvantage. It's tactics, not rudeness.
Realize that they're just doing their job the way they've been taught to, treat them the way you'd like to be treated and hope for the best.
PS: When the police stop you - please keep your hands where they can see them - preferably on the top of the steering wheel, it increases their comfort level and makes them easier to deal with.

UncleFester

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
If I get stopped, by the time the cop gets to my car, the engine is off, the radio is off, the windows are open, the dome light is on, I have my documents out and my hands are on the top of the steering wheel.
All this if just because of the reasons rfdancer mentioned.

Icebreak

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good advice. Do your best to help the officer feel that you have respect for his/her control over the situation.

Say, AlexGT, aren't you like 14? What's up? It sounds like you were just playing with a powerful light, got questioned and handled it well. Good job.

markdi -

Gimme a break.