• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired (CLOSED) A2 $urefire Strion Socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A2 $surefire Strion Socket

Question.
Do any of you recommend any special care of the Globe?

It will be very difficult to install it without actually touching it.
In the past I have seen warnings about leaving residue of lamp globes which end up running HOT. Which I am sure this one does.
This warning may be more important for other types of lamps. I don't know.
In any event Do you guys clan the globe with alcohol in order to remove all finger oil/grease from the glass globe?
Just wondering if any of you have had one of these go pop!?
Yaesumofo

mahoney

Enlightened
Re: A2 $urefire Strion Socket

As a rule I clean halogen bulbs of any size with alcohol after I touch them. Or I hold them with paper or something else clean while installing them. It's just how I was trained in bulb handling and re-lamping.

That said, I've never seen a low wattage (<20 watts) halogen lamp pop due to dirt, although I've seen a few higher wattage ones pop over the years.

quokked

Enlightened

Thanks. I'm wondering if my A2 is out of spec or something. I was able to fully seat the bulb into the adapter, however it's still not tightly focused for my liking. It has a huge hot-spot and flood, but doesn't throw worth a damn. It's acting like it wants the bulb seated even further, but I'm as far as it phyiscally will go.

Try the old A2 trick of twisting the bulb in the holder, gaps in the hot spots are usually due to the LEDs
I had a hot spot huge flood as well, found that i had to trim the leads right down to get it to fit in :)

DM51

Flashaholic

Guys, this is a sales thread, not a discussion thread.

I did a review of this kit here, if you want to read more about it, and that would be a better place to take any discussion.

FWIW, I have found the Strion bulb should be seated in as far as it will go. As for cleaning, use some a little IPA (isopropyl alcohol) on a cloth after handling the bulb - don't leave even a trace of oil or grease from your skin on the bulb envelope.

From here on, sales-related posts only in this thread, please...

Patriot

Flashaholic

I'll take,

#44 kit, Socket and Strion bulb kit.

Thank you

:paypal:

Last edited:
M

mangogate

I'll take Socket and Strion bulb kit #45...$38
Shipping...$4.00
Total...$42

SIERRA

Newly Enlightened

HI

I'll take Kit No 50!

PP & PM the way!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've received the kit thank you.
Ever thought about making 18650 bodies for A2?
That would be great but probably impossible, because the regulator circuit of the A2 is inside the body, not inside the head.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Overall I like it. The embedded plastic technology is very cool.
The socket holds the globe very nicely. I was able to insert the strion almost all the down to the base of the lamp.
Mine doesn't seem much brighter but the beam is a little whiter.
The hot spot is no longer a oval but rounder.

Mine mounts into the A2 head but requires a gentle pull with pliers to remove it...very stiff.

IMHO this mod is NOT about getting more light out the front of the A2 but less expensive globes.
Since the same amount of voltage and current is bring sent to this globe and it is being slightly UNDER DRIVEN the light output is very similar to a "stock" A2.
I wonder what the heat tolerance of the plastic in the socket it. That is the only thing which worries me if the light will be used for an extended time the temperature will rise...
I am sure we will know soon enough.

TIN. What are your results? You bought three of them. were you able to sort out your issues?

Yaesumofo

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Overall I like it. The embedded plastic technology is very cool.
The socket holds the globe very nicely. I was able to insert the strion almost all the down to the base of the lamp.
Mine doesn't seem much brighter but the beam is a little whiter.
The hot spot is no longer a oval but rounder.

Mine mounts into the A2 head but requires a gentle pull with pliers to remove it...very stiff.

IMHO this mod is NOT about getting more light out the front of the A2 but less expensive globes.
Since the same amount of voltage and current is bring sent to this globe and it is being slightly UNDER DRIVEN the light output is very similar to a "stock" A2.
I wonder what the heat tolerance of the plastic in the socket it. That is the only thing which worries me if the light will be used for an extended time the temperature will rise...
I am sure we will know soon enough.

TIN. What are your results? You bought three of them. were you able to sort out your issues?

Yaesumofo

Thanks for asking. Yes, I figured out what was wrong. I was trying to use Stinger bulbs instead of Stion bulbs. That explains why the bulb filiment sat too high in the reflector, not allowing for a proper focus. I should have my Strion bulbs in a day or so.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

In the first post it is stated that this OVERDRIVES the strion bulb. I believe it is a 3.7V bulb (single Li-ion light) so this would make sense.

I agree that it all about cheaper replacements. That was the exact reason I bought it.

Also, there is a review https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184556
that pretty clearly shows that this is brighter than the stock bulb. I know its not a huge difference, and probably impossible to really tell without a side-by-side comparison, but it sure looks like its brighter in this review.

schiesz

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

I must be wrong then. It just goes to show you that you can't trust the eye.
I turned to electronic measurement in the form of the meterman 631.
I got 3500 lux at a meter with the strion and 1890 lux at a meter with the stock A2 globe.
WOW talk about beoing blown away!!
Yaesumofo

In the first post it is stated that this OVERDRIVES the strion bulb. I believe it is a 3.7V bulb (single Li-ion light) so this would make sense.

I agree that it all about cheaper replacements. That was the exact reason I bought it.

Also, there is a review https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/184556
that pretty clearly shows that this is brighter than the stock bulb. I know its not a huge difference, and probably impossible to really tell without a side-by-side comparison, but it sure looks like its brighter in this review.

schiesz

Status
Not open for further replies.