Closest light to a rechargeable Photon Freedom

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Having dissected a ReX, the battery wasn't impressive. I had one fail prematurely, another did not make it through the clothes wash cycle. Others lasted a long time. Never did feel like capacity was lacking, just understood the physics of the compact system. I spoke with Laughing Rabbit about upgrading the ReX years ago. They were polite but not committing to anything. Can't help wondering if they saw the massive wave coming from Asia and decided to not compete (though the ReX was made over there).

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
COol video Kitro. :) I've watched all of your Photon vids over the years. As I have slowly gotten over my flashlight obsession I find that these simple little lights are the most fun for me to use. I still haven't used the Xtar much but my Photon Freedom is used every night. I also picked up a used Zebralight Sc52w from another member for $25. Another great light but I still reach for the Photon Freedom.

Stroll down Memory Lane:
View attachment 22579

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I love my Photon Freedom.
But there have been a couple of times it accidentally switched on.
Draining the batteries. Also prices are getting downright obscene!
Not for the light, but the coin-cells. No thank you.
Replaced mine with a light already mentioned. Nitecore Tube V2.0
Thin, very compact. Excellent amount of output. Excellent U.I.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I liked my REX, but in a drunken stupor one night I accidentally hooked it up to a fully charged 14500 3.7v (4.2v hot off the charger) battery and fried 'er up good. :mad:

pc_light

Enlightened
I didn't realize how small those Sidekicks are until I saw this pic. How do you like it?
Good enough for it to regularly be in my pocket EDC rotation. Fits nicely in jean coin pocket or on a lanyard. Fairly well spaced Low-Med-High levels (alternatively programmable to H-M-L sequence) with no strobes or last-mode memory.

The emitter's a cool white XP-G2 in a small textured/patterned reflector ("Maxi-vision"), resulting in a short-medium range smooth hotspot with spill beam.

Quirks -
(1) changing the brightness levels after it's been on for more than 2-secs at a given level, the sequence will be Off-L-M-H.
(2) the smooth body is a tad slippery but I fixed that with some grippy tape on the sides.
(3) the built-in Li-ion battery (reportedly 650mAh in capacity) is not meant to be replaced. But when that day comes it'll give me a reason to crack 'er open to replace the emitter with hi-CRI as well ;-)

I bought several for gifts when they first came out and haven't heard of any failures yet. At the newly adjusted price I'd say a definite buy.

Here are a couple of other pocket lights for size comparison.

Toohotruk

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good enough for it to regularly be in my pocket EDC rotation. Fits nicely in jean coin pocket or on a lanyard. Fairly well spaced Low-Med-High levels (alternatively programmable to H-M-L sequence) with no strobes or last-mode memory.

The emitter's a cool white XP-G2 in a small textured/patterned reflector ("Maxi-vision"), resulting in a short-medium range smooth hotspot with spill beam.

Quirks -
(1) changing the brightness levels after it's been on for more than 2-secs at a given level, the sequence will be Off-L-M-H.
(2) the smooth body is a tad slippery but I fixed that with some grippy tape on the sides.
(3) the built-in Li-ion battery (reportedly 650mAh in capacity) is not meant to be replaced. But when that day comes it'll give me a reason to crack 'er open to replace the emitter with hi-CRI as well ;-)

I bought several for gifts when they first came out and haven't heard of any failures yet. At the newly adjusted price I'd say a definite buy.

Here are a couple of other pocket lights for size comparison.
I might have to order one. I saw one the other day for $29....that's MUCH cheaper than they used to be.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that little Xtar light has pooped out on me. Tried a new battery and no dice. I'm just going to keep rolling with the Photon Microlights and try out some 2032 rechargeable batteries. I love these little guys. They've definitely taken over as most used lights for me. One stock white Freedom, one Yuji modded Freedom, and a yellow Photon II.
0256C5AA-0CC2-4C88-8875-3A1A988B1B16.jpeg
C1A7D4EC-582A-416D-A3F1-61A02A9B95A6.jpeg
2BF6F344-22A0-4C93-A93B-8AB91CC10D39.jpeg
62AA8E21-34FC-42DE-AB9B-381B5AC2CFF5.jpeg