Cloud Defense MCH

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
Anyone tested one of the single output 1,100 lumen, 71k candela Cloud Defensive MCH 18650? Specifically tested against the Malkoff E2XT and E2XTD.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Ive never used these lights, but they dont seem to offer any concrete information about regulation on their site. They claim 1100lm for 150 minutes which is impossible to sustain with a 18650, so there is obviously a step down of some kind, which is fine for a "tactical" light where high momentary output is important, but nonetheless deceiving marketing. They also dont take primaries which I see as a downside. Malkoff provides realistic runtimes & fully regulated outputs, which is why their outputs may often seem lower then the competition.

I personally find the claims of Cloud Defense a bit too bold to be trustworthy. They also dont mention anything about potting.

fulee9999

Enlightened
Anyone tested one of the single output 1,100 lumen, 71k candela Cloud Defensive MCH 18650? Specifically tested against the Malkoff E2XT and E2XTD.

He did the OWL, not the MCH HC ( I assume you meant HC and not EDC, otherwise it wouldn't be a too fair comparison ), but gives you a pretty good idea what to expect:

Also the MCH is not compatible with anything else, why would you even want that? :D
( not to mention the alleged driver issues and blinking and whatnot )

fulee9999

Enlightened
ooh I remembered, one forum member has some very detailed experience with the MCH

Trout River

Newly Enlightened
They do pot the lights, I have talked to them. They sent me an email saying the potting is in the right places and you have to be careful it can cause the lights to overheat with too much epoxy. Not true

@ kerneldrop yes I have seen that video many times. I didn't hear about the driver problems, just people not tightening down the tail cap or head all the way. I have the 2 Malkoff heads I mentioned, just wanted a comparison. If they are having issues already forget it. I happen to know who they approached when developing the OWL. Lol.

fulee9999

Enlightened
They do pot the lights, I have talked to them. They sent me an email saying the potting is in the right places and you have to be careful it can cause the lights to overheat with too much epoxy. Not true

@ kerneldrop yes I have seen that video many times. I didn't hear about the driver problems, just people not tightening down the tail cap or head all the way. I have the 2 Malkoff heads I mentioned, just wanted a comparison. If they are having issues already forget it. I happen to know who they approached when developing the OWL. Lol.

I like how kernel was automatically dragged into the conversation when mentioning a Malkoff, eventho he wasn't even participating :D

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd advise a great deal of caution dealing with this company. I did business with them a few years back when their main product was a weapon-light mount for AR rails. Woman I was dating at the time had a brother who was a Sheriff's deputy. Heavy into guns. His Birthday was approaching, so decided to impress her by helping out her brother with a Cloud Defensive mount. They sent me the wrong one. At the time, they had a couple of different mounts. One for a certain Streamlight model. One for a certain SureFire model.

What began as an honest mistake on their part soon spiraled into a mess of deception. At one point, receiving an empty mailer. One that had not been torn open from the outside. I immediately contacted my credit card company, explained all the details, and got a credit charge-back.

Not telling anyone how to spend their hard-earned money. Not saying don't buy from CD. I am saying that my experience with the company was beyond miserable. And, I have never bought from them since; and never will again.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’m late to the tacticool party.
CD claims to do it better than everyone else.
My only critique for them is to plaster “Merican made” all over their website if they are truly Merican Made

Rob Babcock

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I will probably get an MCH HC eventually. I've got a REIN and an OWL and both are staggering, simply in another league than anything else I've seen. My Malkoffs and Elzettas aren't going anywhere and I do have reservations about 18650s (to me they're hobby batteries where CR123a are serious) but I have to admit they seem to work well. In order to get the kind of output people seem to want nowadays you need to go with more than you can get out of CR123a. Regulation almost certainly won't be as good but my CD lights are just my wannabee tacticool lights, putting a little piece of the sun on my carbine for emergencies.

alnl1996

Newly Enlightened
I just received the MCH EDC-D a few days ago, all I can say is wow. The best tint i've ever seen on the 30+ lights that I own. A perfect beam, impressive coming from a smooth reflector.
The lower output is great for indoors and the high just punches through everything. This light impresses me as much as my Malkoff's do. It's expensive but I guess we get what we pay for.

alnl1996

Newly Enlightened
I did consider Modlite but at aprox. $450CAD not including any duties from our wonderful government over here in Canada to have one on the palm of my hand..yeah,NO.
I could not justify spending that much money on a handheld EDC light. The line has to be drawn somewhere.

Last edited:

tango44

Enlightened
To be honest I'm not satisfied at all with either of my Cloud Defensive lights, I'm an average Joe, flashlight enthusiast and does not give extreme or hard use to my lights...
EDC 18350 and HC 18650 versions here.
Both lights will get so hot in the head area that you can hardly touch them after a few seconds, especially with fresh batts. (I only use their batts)
Orings are completely loose and almost melted by the elevated temperatures I´m afraid that this won't protect the light against water anymore.
The tail cap on the 18650-model failed on me after a couple of weeks of normal use and took me almost 2 months to get a new cap under warranty.
Cheap or bad anodized on the lights and very slippery, I assume won't last long.
Site is always out of stock of batts, and they will tell you that the heat on the heads is normal.
Not the best support and not the best lights.
I'm incredibly happy with my Modlite PLHV2 that is far superior in all aspects that are expensive but all that I was looking at in an EDC light.

Attachments

• GLOCK & LIGHTS.JPG
    GLOCK & LIGHTS.JPG
    204.5 KB · Views: 24

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Not surprised.
CD's customer service is as garbage as it was years ago.
All they care about is getting your money.