Cloud Defensive or Surefire?

TacmedRN

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a small SINGLE cell cr123 flashlight for work. They provide cr123 batteries, so it must be able to use them.

I was going to pickup a Surefire Backup MV, but then I stumbled upon the Cloud Defensive MCH Micro.

I know next to nothing about Cloud Defensive. How are they compared to Surefire? Do they hold up to daily carry? Is it difficult to get replacement clips and switches?

Thanks!

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd go with the Surefire.
The Elzetta Alpha is a good recommendation also. I'll add to that Malkoff.

I'd also say that it depends what you want. The Backup MV is a floody low candela light while the MCH Micro is a high candela light that uses 18350 batteries.

The Backup is pretty small, the Alpha is a bit chunky but also a top choice. Malkoff has a few different options and is also pretty small.

How many modes do you want?
What type of beam?

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or if you want other options. might check out the Elzetta Alpha. Stout lights.
I can very enthusiastically recommend the Alpha Gen 3 in that category. Don't know about those others, but I doubt they have an ANSI FL1 5-meter impact rating, or published output / time graphs showing the actual output control algorithm you get when turn it on like the ones linked below (which I personally think is very well designed), so comparisons with some others in the category may prove difficult. To the best of my knowledge, SF publishes neither of those for their lights. I think the SF is limited to CR123A primaries, as well (not sure). Just sayin', you might want to add this to your list to consider. I have one that rarely leaves my pocket, and I certainly wouldn't trade it for anything else in the category.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Backup MV can use 16340 (4.2V) batteries if you wanted to use them (out of work for example).

tonkem

Enlightened
I have owned both the Surefire E1L outdoorsman, and E1b backup, both slim beams, and the Alpha before they introduced the slimmer beam, so it was a floody beam. I would normally prefer the Surefire as it was a bit easier carry, but I would not hesitate to pickup either the Surefire or Elzetta. Both great lights. Just depends on what kind of beam you need.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have owned both the Surefire E1L outdoorsman, and E1b backup, both slim beams, and the Alpha before they introduced the slimmer beam, so it was a floody beam. I would normally prefer the Surefire as it was a bit easier carry, but I would not hesitate to pickup either the Surefire or Elzetta. Both great lights. Just depends on what kind of beam you need.
Another option could be the Nitecore MT1C Pro, comes with a 16340, but will run with the CR123 as well. Also pretty reasonably priced compared to the lights spoken about here: https://www.nitecorestore.com/MT1C-Pro-1000-Lumen-Rechargeable-EDC-Flashlight-p/fl-nite-mt1cpro.htm

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Key point is that the Alpha does have choice of 2 optics, w/ beam photos on the product page. I chose the 'standard' lens. Options are good. That's something else not all mfgrs. provide.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Alpha also has a choice of tail caps which gives you options mode and activation wise (high/low tail cap would be my pick for general use. Possibly better than baked in low/high, high/low because it can be either as it always come on high when screwed down or always low when loosened).
I'd also pick the standard optic.
The 4500K colour temp is a sweet spot for me for general use which is another plus.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Looking for a small SINGLE cell cr123 flashlight for work. They provide cr123 batteries, so it must be able to use them.

I was going to pickup a Surefire Backup MV, but then I stumbled upon the Cloud Defensive MCH Micro.

I know next to nothing about Cloud Defensive. How are they compared to Surefire? Do they hold up to daily carry? Is it difficult to get replacement clips and switches?

Thanks!
The cloud defense MCH micro in EDC version with dual power option would be my pick.

Reagan

Newly Enlightened
There are a lot of great choices for a 123, but it all depends on the use case. Can't go wrong with a surefire though. I personally like the specs and UI on a jetbeam rrt03, and it's even smaller than the 2 options you listed.

scalpel_ninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, I vote Malkoff MDC or Bodyguard for their bulletproof reliability and easily replaceable tail switch and option to use E series threads. Also very versatile with a VME head and drop ins.

Elzetta Alpha a close second because of the same tank-like build. Switch replacement is not as straightforward but still easy. The head is not swappable though.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had SFs, they fell many times and no damage. This E1B MV has a fairly wide and durable frame. Elzetta is still stronger overall. Malkoff is also almost indestructible. Choose any of 3 and you can't go wrong in terms of quality

Malkoff also does not officially support 16340 in flashlights for the CR123, SF too, but 16340 work quite well in SF. Malkoff I did not check personally. I understand that you are only going to use primary batteries, but who knows what will happen in the future. In my opinion, the flashlight should digest batteries with any voltage that can be placed in it

It might make sense to also look at the discharge graphs over time and choose a more suitable one

here's a Jose Marin who made a very useful test of battery drain over time

Well, the shape of the beam is important, the SF has the widest beam, that is, the shortest range

drunktank

Newly Enlightened
Between those 2, Surefire hands down.

I bought all three variants of the Cloud Defensive lights this year. And between those three, I had 3 bad tail caps and 2 bad heads either out the box or within the first month. If you join their fan page on Facebook, you'll hear a ton of similar complaints across their line. They tend to either work or they don't. Tailcaps are finicky…

Their customer service is very friendly but slow to respond (average of 3-4 days for every reply). Took me just shy of 2 months for them to send me all the replacement parts I needed. Funny thing is they also sent me a free Chicro for my troubles and that thing doesn't always charge. Again, a common issue with this model. In fairness, it was pretty straightforward dealing with their warranty dept as all I needed to do was send them a video and pictures of the issues I had then wait.

My Surefire Backup MV is carried daily and has had zero issues the past 2 years (I get free CR123's as well). Great and tough little light.

Malkoff's MDC is nice as well, though mine isn't as bright but lasts longer. I sometimes run the head on my MV's body.

Last thing - Cloud Defensive doesn't warranty the glass on their handhelds and unless you have the Duty model, you're TSOL with trying to get a replacement for the lenses.

Hope this helps any.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought all three variants of the Cloud Defensive lights this year. And between those three, I had 3 bad tail caps and 2 bad heads either out the box or within the first month. If you join their fan page on Facebook, you'll hear a ton of similar complaints across their line. They tend to either work or they don't. Tailcaps are finicky…

Nice to hear their customer service improved from being absolute dog

Maybe, but after reading that first paragraph above, I don't think it matters;-( That would make no difference to me. If a car's in the shop half the time, by definition, it's an undesirable / indefensible situation. Like that first paragraph, there's no color one can paint that to make it pretty.