CMG Infinity Improvements

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectrum:
Originally posted by Quickbeam:
[QB]
I just added a couple of Arcs and an Infinity to my collection. All are white LEDs. I completely agree with all opinions about the terrific quality of the Arc, but somehow it is the Infinity that I keep playing around with - testing different batteries, etc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Infinity is a very good security blanket. That's why I make sure mine is with me whenever I go camping or hiking. Even though I rarely use it, it's comforting to know it's there.

ChrisA

Enlightened
i'll second that. a red one's been with me during military training and got a good amount of abuse without letting me down. but now that i received some arc le's from tts (excellent service and prices) i guess it'll reside in my backup-pack until needed
smile.gif

StuU

Enlightened
Chris A- I was curious about what colors the military uses for night operations. You are mentioning red. And I have also heard that, in general, green is preferred. Just wondering what is the miliary rationale behind these choices?

Supposedly, red is preferred for not dilating the pupils. The same claim is made for green. What about visibility by enemy troops for instance? For instance- how much less obvious would a red or green ground illumination be from a distance?

ChrisA

Enlightened
the cmg wasn't issued to us (we got some minimags) and the only model available in germany at that time was the red one...
rolleyes.gif
but that's an okay choice if you want a task light. it illuminates things around but is not as bright to the human eye as green for example. red is the color which is least visible so if you don't want to be seen when checking your gear or something else that's the color to go with...
downside - really bad for color rendition. you don't want to read a map with these.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Has anyone tried drilling out the led with a bigger hole for two leds? or would that be too much current for the circuit?

hobo

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by geepondy:
The Infinity is a very good security blanket. That's why I make sure mine is with me whenever I go camping or hiking. Even though I rarely use it, it's comforting to know it's there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I actually use one almost every single night. The red one (the old style with the wide-angle beam and smooth bezel, not the dimmer new style) serves me *very* well for those late night trips to the can, and it gets me there & back without blinding me or causing me to squint and have to adjust. In a pinch, I'll grab the green one and shine it on the ceiling for the same purpose, though I do prefer the red.

For most purposes, I do much prefer white light, but for use after I've been in bed for an hour or so, I much prefer the red.
It is also the first thing to end up in my suitcase when I pack for a trip.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Telephony:
I just LOVE your urinator destroying flashlight graphics.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lightboy:
Telephony:
I just LOVE your urinator destroying flashlight graphics.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks
grin.gif

I've always wanted to have my own "smiley", and I've always wanted to kick a toilet off the wall. So I put that together over the last couple of nights to take care of both things at once. The flashlight I suppose could represent my Punishment Zone testing. I've never broken a flashlight by hitting a toilet with it, but I have broken a toilet bt hitting it with a flashlight.
grin.gif

The idea for the vacuum cleaner cleaning up the pile of porcelain came from this page:
Destroying a Euro-Pro Bagless Stick Shark Vaccum and from this terrible experience:

vac209.jpg

I have another vacuum cleaner page that's funny, but it's also quite obscene, so you'll have to e-mail me for that URL or type in "HOW TO F***ING VACUUM" on Google, being sure to spell out that cuss word.
First one on the list.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree, that is a very funny graphic! How long`d it take to do?

I`ve seen that other vacume page- well, er, if you don`t like cuss words, don`t go there! but if you do, you`ll just laugh and laugh and laugh....
tongue.gif

btw...there is a quick and direct way to find that page and loads of others of Craig`s creation. Some of us will know it, others won`t. I`ll not post and say how unless Craig says it`s OK.

Is it OK?

grin.gif
confused.gif
tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I have to agree, that is a very funny graphic! How long`d it take to do?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That one took about three hours from the start to when the smiley's eyes bug out, then another two hours (done the next night and appended to the original animation) for the vaccum cleaner scene.

Getting the urinator to fall off the wall and break was the most difficult part of this animation. Everything was made frame-by-frame.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
I`ve seen that other vacume page- well, er, if you don`t like cuss words, don`t go there! but if you do, you`ll just laugh and laugh and laugh....
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's been in a finished state for only about two, perhaps three weeks tops. So if you haven't seen the vacuum cleaner being rather violently disembowelled and then fitted with a new bag, you should go there again to see the "rest of the story".

btw...there is a quick and direct way to find that page and loads of others of Craig`s creation. Some of us will know it, others won`t. I`ll not post and say how unless Craig says it`s OK.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't mind a bit since the middle of last fall when things "came out of the closet" if you will.
blush.gif
http://toyletbowlbbs.home.att.net
Only one out of the dozen or so pages is objectionable in that manner, and it's clearly labelled for your protection.
grin.gif

There's also a .wav file on that page that says "flush the toliet bowl" in the voice of a Commodore 64. Note spelling and pronounciation.
wink.gif

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spectrum:
I would rather see the Infinity tweaked for just a little more light than a longer burning version of the Arc.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What an interesting thought!

In all of these discussions about melding the two units (Infinity and ARC), little attention has been paid to which physical form might be preferred!

I agree, I'd choose the Infinity (even though larger) as the final form of the new light.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

smile.gif
I like the Infinity BECAUSE of its size, it just fits my hand..."ergonomics?"
smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's an Infinity. It seems the military gets many of our popular lights. See the Mil-spec LED thread and link given there.

Spectrum

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by StuU:
<<I was quite surprised to find that the Infinity with lithiums & polished reflector had a MAJOR improvement in light output>>

I also removed the anodizing and polished my reflector. I used course, then very fine sandpaper which worked pretty well -- except that I could not get all the way down near the LED by hand. I also noticed the improvement in light output. Unfortunately I did not have an unmodified one for a direct comparison. A polished reflector should be standard on the Infinity -- would save us all a lot of time. What puzzles me is that so far I can't see any difference between Lithium (Energizer L91) batteries and alkaline. Maybe I have some stale lithiums.
I still say that CMG is missing out. I think that if they would turn up the output a couple of notches, the Infinity could be the standard tool for electricians, plumbers, and others who need a small enough light to get into junction boxes and other small places. That would be quite a market.

Are you listening CMG? If not, maybe Arc will make a version.

rigormootis

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps the biggest reason I want either an AA Arc or an improved Infinity is that AAs are much easier to come by for me (I have to carry & use them for many other pieces of gear and as such would allow me to carry only AAs and a few spares carriers for my M2). Further, no one seems to be making lithium AAAs...this is a key reason I like my AA infinity over my Arc (both red) for military manuvers. With a lithium AA, I get 100+ hours of run time, with an alkaline, I get about 40. Since my red infinity is my map-light, its the last thing I want to die...

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
See the "Need recommendation for AA LED flashlight" thread. Apparently, Gransee plans on eventually making an Arc AA.

If this is true, I think he will clean up.
shocked.gif

ChrisA

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rigormootis:
Perhaps the biggest reason I want either an AA Arc or an improved Infinity is that AAs are much easier to come by for me (I have to carry & use them for many other pieces of gear and as such would allow me to carry only AAs and a few spares carriers for my M2). Further, no one seems to be making lithium AAAs...this is a key reason I like my AA infinity over my Arc (both red) for military manuvers. With a lithium AA, I get 100+ hours of run time, with an alkaline, I get about 40. Since my red infinity is my map-light, its the last thing I want to die...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed in every respect ! arc aaa is very nice for edc but on duty the cmg is what finds its way around my neck because of its very long runtime (with lithiums) and therefore no need to throw in some spare batteries.

chris