CMG Reactor III

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I emailed CMG and inquired about the availability of the Reactor III. I know it was in the Shomer Tec catalog (line drawing - not an actual picture), but couldn't find it elsewhere. I also asked about using 2 N cells in conjunction with a AAA cell and this is the reply I received today:
--------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your interest in our products. In answer to your questions, the Reactor 3 is currently available through Shomer Tec CMG Reactor III. We only have very limited supplies, so for the time being it is only available through them. It is similar to the regular reactor except that it adds a third battery for additional brightness. We use a small resistor to ensure that we do not drive the LED over 350 ma.

As for the 2n's and AAA batteries, this can be risky. The luxeon stars have varying forward voltages, so if you get an LED with a very low forward voltage you run the risk of blowing the LED out. If you are looking for increased brightness, I would recommend the Reactor 3.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely, Jimmy Wener

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
3 cells which I'm "sure" would generate a few more lumens (but they don't say how much, and he didn't say in the email though I asked for "specs").

They say it projects to 100 ft vs. the standard Reactor's 75 ft.

I like the feel/look of my standard Reactor, but the longer battery housing sort of "balances" the look with that long bezel assembly.

bucken

Enlightened
A 3rd battery
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Isn't that what the 2 N's + 1 AAA does?
kopfpatsch.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
bucken:

Yes, but without the resistor to compensate for the reactors modest heat sinking which would allow low forward voltage LS's to burn up on 3 cells.

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
If that is the case, then I think some of these modded directdrive lights(LGI, Electrolumens,&LI) with their modest heat sink would have burned up by now considering how many are out their.
My reactor has been on 3 cell since I got it but, I don`t think 3N`s or 2N`s and a AAA at 4.5 v can put out enough amperage to burn up a LS.
If you notice that when you turn on the Reactor the LS goes down and makes contact with something to come on. Possibly the aluminum barrel is the heatsink when on.
Eric

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
"...when you turn on the Reactor the LS goes down and makes contact with something to come on."

If it is the actual slug on the bottom of the LS that makes contact, we have a problem. First there would be minimal true heatsinking, if any. No wonder they resistor it down. Second, the slug is (supposed to be) electrically neutral...

If they are buying enough Luxeons at a time, I would think they could get sorted and binned ones just like SureFire. Then they could simply run it Direct Drive which would actually reduce production costs due to no resistor nor the extra manufacturing step to install it.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Any opinion whether I can run the III on 2 Alkys plus a lithium?

Also, can someone explain "forward voltage" in VERY elementary layman's terms? (Someone once did but my electronically challenged brain didn't really process it.)

Thanks,
Brightnorm

Tyson

Newly Enlightened
Forward Voltage is the voltage required to turn a diode (The LS LED) on. Beyond this voltage the amount of current that flows through the LED goes up drastically as more voltage is applied.

An analogy: Think of a dam of water. Up to a certain water level (voltage) no water flows. When the level reaches the top of the dam (forward voltage) the water starts to flow (current through the diode). Any more water (higher voltage) than the level of the dam causes the water to quickly flow faster (more current, brighter LED), but too much then the dam breaks (LED gets smoked). A resister between the LED and the battery is like shoring up the dam so when there is more water (higher voltage applied), the water (current) doesn't flow so fast.

Tyson (I hope this helped)