CMG Reactor - link to a review?

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would someone tell me a little about the Reactor? I saw in the "Terra Destroyer" thread where The LED Museum owns one but I could not find a review. In the same thread Craig talks about shining the G5WLS through binoculars. I then shined my little blue 7 LED Tektite through an ordinary magnifying glass with about a foot of seperation and was amazed that it put 7 blue spots on trees a block away. So, after darell had metioned the Reactor and after I read BrightGuy's description of optics; I became interested in knowing more. What do you think?

Thanks

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the Craig's review at the LED Museum:
Reactor Review at LED Museum
His sample was less than impressive (much less).
Quality of the luxeon star led's used in the Reactors varies greatly, some are good while others are horrible. I have a Reactor with a nice ls in it but like most who have written about this light, I think that the switch is really poorly designed.

Hope this helps, Pat

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been informed by CMG that they are redesigning the switch to provide detents for both on and off. I was also told the lamp color was being worked on, and that I should have a TRUE white model with new switch to test sometime in the near future.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
I've been informed by CMG that they are redesigning the switch to provide detents for both on and off. I was also told the lamp color was being worked on, and that I should have a TRUE white model with new switch to test sometime in the near future.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Of course they will be very careful to send you a good one. That's one problem with being a reviewer: as your fame grows the samples presented to you become less representative of the quality generally available. Or am I being too cynical?

Brightnorm

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've been sent some pretty crappy lights recently, so I don't think this is a real problem yet. If this type of thing occurs at all, it's more an exception than the rule.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good news about the switch. I wonder if they will accept trade ins with the current model.

Icebreak, in addition to the comments concerning the switch and inconsistant LED, I've found this light works much better with lithium AAs. With alkaline AA's the light output drops sharply and quickly so that even after an hour it is noticably dimmer. With lithium AA's the light will remain much brighter for a great deal longer, several hours in fact. As you may know, depending on brand of alkaline's, lithium's can be five to ten or more times expensive then alkaline AAs.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by geepondy:
As you may know, depending on brand of alkaline's, lithium's can be five to ten or more times expensive then alkaline AAs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can sometimes get 12-packs of Duracell AA's for $2.50, but a 2-pack of lithiums costs $9.00, or $54.00 for 12!
shocked.gif
That means they can cost up to 21.6 times as much as alkalines! OUCH!!

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks! As always, incredibly knowledgable help.

Is it too far off-topic to ask what you know about these Energizer E 2 Titanuims I've been using? They seem to work well.

leddite

Enlightened
Originally posted by The LED Museum:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by geepondy:
As you may know, depending on brand of alkaline's, lithium's can be five to ten or more times expensive then alkaline AAs.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can sometimes get 12-packs of Duracell AA's for $2.50, but a 2-pack of lithiums costs $9.00, or $54.00 for 12!
shocked.gif
That means they can cost up to 21.6 times as much as alkalines! OUCH!!
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">well, walmart is selling 4 lithium AA's for $10,
so that's $2.50 each. compusa is selling lots of 40 AA alkalines for $5 right now (red cell), which is $0.10 each :>

2.50 / .1 == 25

yikes, it's almost not even worth buying rechargables at that price.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
But that's no good unless there's a wall-mart or a comp-usa anywhere you can get to them. :/
And I'm pretty sure that some of the smaller towns inhabited by CPF'ers don't have those kinds of stores at all.

Last year, an online computer parts merchant was selling Energizer L91s (the red/gold kind) for just a hair over $1 apiece "while supplies last". And let me tell you, supplies didn't last very long at all once word got out to us CPFers.
grin.gif

sodakar

Newly Enlightened
Curious... CMG's website doesn't mention this product, but when I went to Marin Outdoors, they already carried it (~$29). While I knew nothing of the product, I was immediately shocked by the light output that rivaled my Arc LS, and immediately realized that this light uses the LS1. Wow!

But... that excitement soon faded as I fiddled with the light. Sure, it's bright, cheap, and has wonderful output, but I'm not sure I can deal with the fact that there is no tactile feedback from the flashlight when it goes to the off position -- so ... yes, it seems as though the ones that are in storefronts now do not have the positive on/off feature yet.

The one positive is that the LED light was a absolutely beautiful white. If anything, my Arc LS, which has a tint of green, looked noticably greenish when placed next to the Reactor.

But... every time I thought of buying this product, I found myself looking at my SureFire E2e and Arc LS's HA finish, then looking at the Reactor's funky mix of aluminum tail + polycarbonate head, and kept thinking... "iiick.. the combo of aluminum + polycarbonate looks soooooooo bad..."

But... I will probably buy this light anyway, and use it at work as a throw-around-the-computer-room light. Ya know... I'm not about to throw the E2e or Arc LS on the concrete flooring of the raised floor...

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You got lucky with yours. Mine has that characteristic "rotten dog urine green" color that we've all come to know and hate.
tongue.gif

I have been promised a sample of a supposedly "reworked" model that addresses both the crappy switch and the crappy lamp color. Figure it'll still be at least a few weeks before I get that, but you'll hear it here first when it does finally land on my doorstep.
grin.gif