CMG Reactor

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I jus noticed a new LED flashlight, called the CMG Reactor, by the LedLight. Anyone got one yet?
Only $30.00

CMG Reactor

I have a Garitty 2AA at home, in which I put a 1" copper connector on it, and this flashlight looks just like it. Hmmmmm ? I did that mod ages ago. Someone been studying CPF?

Reactor_2.jpg

GARRITY.2.jpg

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne:

There have been lots of posts. It's a direct drive light with modest heat sinking. With 2 AA lithiums it delivers less light than an ARC LS for a long time.

For the same or less money I'd be inclined to drop in a $20 Inretech direct drive module into a MiniMag or Brinkman Legend.

For the moment, my 500 mA ARC LSS Hybrid, my Bad Boy Yellow, and my two Mr. Bulk LGI's satisfy my current brighter desires for 1W Luxeons.

I remain busy thinking about what I hope to persuade your nimble hands to do with the 4 @ 5W Luxeons and Collimators you're procuring for me via the delayed group buy.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
I jus noticed a new LED flashlight, called the CMG Reactor, by the LedLight. Anyone got one yet?
Only $30.00
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have one. Well, actually I have two.
The first one they sent had that characteristic "rotten dog urine green" coloration to it and the switch lacked an "off" detent. The updated version which I just received today has a more normal bluish-white Luxeon, and a positive lock-off switch.

If there is a significant downside to this light, it's that it definitely works best on lithiums. I would feed it alkalines only if I had no other choise. Granted, it's not horrible on alkalines; about twice the brightness of the Lightwave 2000, but it does so much better on lithiums (3-4x the brightness of LW2000) that I really wouldn't want to feed it anything else. Only the premium dog chow for this fella.
smile.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, sheesh, where have I been? I just never paid attention to this one, I guess?

Looks like it is a nice light.

The one I made had a step-up circuit I had made in it. Real bright, but only lasted about 2 hours on a set of batteries. I gave it to my wife. She still uses it.

Wayne J.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wayne was being sarcastic, and has been well aware of the Reactor.

It really says something about how much we expose ourselves (and our ideas) to the outside world when we post here.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
...If there is a significant downside to this light, it's that it definitely works best on lithiums. I would feed it alkalines only if I had no other choise.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That's the answer I wanted but it's for the wrong light. How does the new infinity do with lithiums vs alkalines?

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, why not try a trick we do with minimag AAs?

Stick in 3N cells and a little spacer. N cells are 1.5V alkaline and 3 would fit into a 2AA tube with space to spare, thus requiring a spacer.

This will give you 4.5V, but the voltage drop under load should bring it down quite a bit so that you'd be overdriving your luxeons a little.

Proceed with caution, as I understand the forward voltage of the luxeons used in the Reactors may be a little on the low side - closer to 3V, so the degree of overdriving may vary from unit to unit.

Good luck!

EDIT: Oh, and N cells are much cheaper than lithiums too. A pack of 2 costs me about $1.70 for Energizers. So for less than $6, you'd have 2 whole sets of batteries (6 in all).

I'll try to do a cost/mAh analysis here and throw it in later...

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, has anyone put 4.5v into the Reactor? How did it work? Any comments?

Also, will CMG exchange the old Reactor for the new one if I call them? I just picked one up and it has no off detent...

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
So, has anyone put 4.5v into the Reactor? How did it work? Any comments?

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I can't give you an exact answer, but this may help...

I don't own a CMG Reactor, but I do have one of Lamda's 2AA Illuminators, this is a direct drive version not the regulated type.

Running on 2AA's the output is ok, but a little green, when I run with 3N size batteries brightness seems to almost double and there's absolutely no green tint.

So far I've gone through 3 sets of batteries with no ill effects.

Spork

Enlightened
my reactor showed up yesterday. its very green compared to my other lights. I'm using lithiums and the light output is similar to my x5t. Aren't they suspose to be brighter than this? I think I got a bad one.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of my LGI's are very nice with 3 cells.

Both LGI's are also dimmer with 2 lithiums and a dummy than my X5, my Lightwave 2000's with fresh batteries, and my 3 @ 4LED 4.5 to 4.8 V optimized jBechtoe PR bulbs driven by alkalines at around 4.9 V.

You really have to hope that you get a luxeon with atypically low forward voltage with a 2 cell Luxeon light without step-up and current regulation circuitry. I'm not prepared to take that gamble sight unseen.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took the gamble and ordered 2 of the Reactors (new switch). I got fairly lucky in tint on both. Decently bright. Not quite as bright as my Arc LS, but a whole lot better than the oh so DIMM Pro Series LS bulb from LEDCorp I got (much whiter too). That Pro Series I have is actually dimmer than the colimmated Brinkman Rebel.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you open up the Reactor, and install a regulating circuit? Is there room in the head. I might consider getting one, if I can open it up and put a regulator in it. Then it will be like my Garrity Stainless steel mod. By the way, seems to me I remember a hand grenade from WWII, I think German made, that looked a lot like this? Maybe it was a Japanese hand grenade?

If it uses 2 Lithium 123's, that means they are resisting it down. Probably about 3 ohms resistance, or maybe a bit more. If you can take it apart, and reduce the resistance to 1 ohm, well, that is what I did with one mod called the LithiumLux. I used 2 Lithiums 123's and 1 ohm resistance. It got warm, but not hot.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is not designed to be opened. However, they did have to put it together, so I presume there is a way to open the head. The head is polycarbonate, so I would be wary of doing any step up (increase heat output).

CMG's design philosophy, seems to be dimmer, but longer runtime, rather than Arc's very bright and shorter runtime.

I'm not going to void the lifetime warranty to find out.
wink.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Charles Bradshaw:
It is not designed to be opened. However, they did have to put it together, so I presume there is a way to open the head. The head is polycarbonate, so I would be wary of doing any step up (increase heat output).

CMG's design philosophy, seems to be dimmer, but longer runtime, rather than Arc's very bright and shorter runtime.

I'm not going to void the lifetime warranty to find out.
wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Oh, if the head is not metal, it's not a good idea to goose it up!

CMG's design philosophy does fall within the lines of what is the strong point of an LED, which is not brightness, but long battery life. Aside from all my kidding, it is a nice flashlight. I will probably get one, because I need another flashlight.

Wayne J.
www.elektrolumens.com

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doug, I like your site and especially the chart with the graphical icons used to represent the LEDs, etc. Very clear and consise and a model for other reviewers to use. My only disagreement with your reviews from the lights that I have is that I would have given the E2 five stars and the E1 fours stars instead of vice versa. IMO, the only advantage of the E1 is it's smaller size if that is what you need (I actually find it uncomfortable to hold). For twice the batteries, the E2 gives over four times the brightness at just a slightly shorter runtime to the E1.

Eric S

Newly Enlightened
I`ve been running my CMG Reactor for about 4 months on 2Ns and a AAA with no problems! Much better output.