cmg reactor ...

arioch

Enlightened
Hello, all:

Does anyone out there own one? Any thoughts? I am looking into buying my first Luxeon LED light, and based on features and price, I am thinking about getting one. I own a number of LED lights of different shapes, sizes, and configurations. Does the Luxeon really provide 10x the output of 'conventional' LED's as advertised?
confused.gif

Thanks for any input!
grin.gif
grin.gif

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Careful with the CMG Reactor. You'll need to feed it Lithium AAs. Otherwise, it would probably be as dim as a Photon with alkalines or any other rechargeable...

But with Lithiums, it's quite bright, and lasts about 10 hours on it... And it is as bright as 15-20 nichias. Just about all Luxeons are at least 15X brighter than "conventional" LED emitters.

Tsao

Newly Enlightened
Well, In My Humble Opinion
If you buy a Reactor you won't see the 10X performance. But it is the cheapest Luxeon you can get. You can search the past post, lots of information.
FYI

arioch

Enlightened
Any other Luxeon lights out there in that price range? The Arc $100+ price tag seems a bit steep. I will be ordering the Inretech Luxeon drop-in for the Mini-M*g as soon as the holiday bills are taken care of.
yellowlaugh.gif
yellowlaugh.gif

FalconFX:

You mentioned that the Reactor will need lithium cells to function at full brightness, with alkalines and rechargeables only providing the output of a Photon ... is this a problem limited to the Reactor, or does this happen with all Luxeon lights? I haven't heard of this before on previous posts about Luxeons.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a "feature" limited to the Reactor and the InReTech 2AA (it's not really a defect; as I believe both lights are not regulated, meaning the higher the voltage and current, the much brighter the output)... I have both lights, and both respond like night and day with Lithium AAs installed in them instead of alkalines or rechargeables... So far, the Reactor and the InReTech 2AA are the only 2 LS based lights I know of that suffer from anorexia if not fed lithiums...

If you want a really bright light, and want to spend much less than $100, then I'd suggest checking out Dat2Zip's dropin modules and order a Bad Boy 500, and putting it into a m$n$m$g of your color choice... It would cost you, in all, no more than $70 (including accessories) for one of the brightest, if not THE BRIGHEST, 2AA based single LED flashlights available...

http://home.attbi.com/~theledguy/cpf_store/sandwiches.htm

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arioch,
The reason the CMG and Inretech Luxeons are rather dim without Lithiums is because the Luxeons need 3.4 to 3.6 volts and Alkalines only feed them 3 volts. The Lithiums are 1.8 volts per cell so give the LED what it wants.
I use a Badboy 500 myself, it is a current regulator that keeps the hungry Luxeons fed. They run about $44 shipped and when coupled with a Brinkmann Legend 2 AA, the total cost is about $54. The reason to get the Legend is it has a rear tailcap switch, good idea to have that option.

Joel

Newly Enlightened
I would definately go with the Bad Boy 500 drop-in module. I just received my first reactor and was pretty dissapointed by the output (even with lithium batteries) I'm giving my reactor to a neighbor that doesn't have an emergency flashlight and I'm keeping my Bad Boy at home!

R

rkling

Hello: Can one install 3 ea 2/3 aa nimh batteries
in series to power the cmg reactor? Is there a way to connect flat top batteries together in series? thanks r.kling

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
V8TOYOTATRK,

I have notice my USPS incoming parcels have been vastly delayed from all over the USA. What normally takes 3 days, is now taking 2 weeks. This is the second time this has happened. It first started when I unexpectedly got part 2 of my Mandrake Powerpack subscription, direct from Paris, France.

I heard from a friend of mine, this is now normal: anyone who gets anything at all from outside the USA, is automatically a suspected subversive, terrorist, etc., and all USPS parcels are diverted for "Inspection."

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very happy with my CMG Reactor. I got lucky there. If CMG hand sorted the Luxeons, the Reactor would cost alot more. However, the ones who make the Reactor for CMG, don't bother to weed out the worst of them. The ones that are dim on Lithium AAs, probably have a higher forward voltage or are junk that the maker shoves on its reels amongst the rest.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
I guess it's a gamble with the Reactor, I bought one after they first came out and there were some problems with it regarding flickering.
The beam was also very green even with Lithiums.

They sent me another within two weeks and I have to say that the replacement is fantastic there is no hint of green and it's very bright.

I'm not sure if the folks at CMG hand picked me a winner or if I was just lucky second time round but either way I am very pleased with my one.

The ergonomics are to some a little unwieldy and I've read reports of people finding it uncomfortable to use although personally I really don't have a problem with it.

I have recently become the proud owner of a BB500 which I am delighted with, I love regulated lights but I also think that there is a place for direct drive LS flashlights and 2aa lithium batts seems to be a very good combination the run time is phenomenal.

You asked if "Luxeon really provide 10x the output of 'conventional' LED's as advertised?"

Well I have a 10 LED Lightwave 4000 and my Reactor on Lithiums is as bright and makes the Lightwave look quite blue.

All this being said I would be reluctant to buy another Reactor as the chances of getting a bad one is too high and I don't want to buy 10 in the hope of getting 1 good one.

I think what this does show is that there is simply going to have to be some QC regarding the LS itself which is being used in the Reactor.
It's a shame.

It's only my advise but if you want a very bright LS (regulated) on cheap alkaline batts but with relatively short runtime get the dat2zip BB500, I think that just about every post from members that have bought one contains the word Wow! at least once, and for most CPF members to express "Wow!" it's got to be good.

If you want a low cost LS with long runtime (and I mean long!) I would point you towards Inretech.
They make a LS drop in and I've been using mine for a month every day, it's still bright, in fact it's starting to get a little spooky!

Both the above mentioned lights while being LS based exhibit different properties, I would not want to be without either one.

Hope this helps.
smile.gif

Brody

Newly Enlightened
I think you may be better off going for the reactor 3 instead of the regular reactor if you want a cheap luxeon. The inretech is good, but the extra battery of the reactor 3 makes for a brighter light.
If you can spend a little more, the Badboy mod would be an excellent choice.

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a big ordeal with this since I'm an impulse buyer and I saw the Reactor at my local Galyan's...

I resisted the urge and used the $30 on the MadMax from dat2zip. No worry about feeding it lithiums and you can customize your body color. Also, the M*g body IMO is very well built! Hope you find your right light! My EDC is now the M*g with the Madmax. Very bright!

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Reactor and I would not get it again. I mailed it back to CMG for a whiter one, and they told me they sent it back in the mail 2 weeks ago. Still no white reactor. You get what you pay for, and to me, its no bargain to get a low quality product.

Grummond

Newly Enlightened
Wits' End

The post above yours by logicnerd411 makes a lot of sense to me.

If it's a choice between the Reactor III or any dat2zip mods I'd go with the dat2zip for the reasons mentioned.

My BB500 is in a pewter coloured M*ni-M@g with a Kroll switch, and mineral glass lens, which I also bought from dat2zips website.
All in all it's a great piece of kit.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

To add upon what logicnerd411 said the other thing that is a real bonus for me and makes me feel batter about using the BB500 is that if it takes a nose dive and the lens gets scratched it can cheaply and easily be replaced with in seconds, if the Reactor suffers the same fate you're stuck with it.

arioch

Enlightened
Thanks for all the input, folks.

I guess the Reactor purchase will be a cr#pshoot; even if the dealer/manufacturer is willing to send replacements for poorly functioning models, it would still be a pain in the a## to ship them back and forth.
frown.gif

Not to seem dense, but I have been reading on this topic about a Reactor III ... I just came off of the CMG website, and don't see anything about a Reactor III. Is this an official offering from CMG, or is it a mod?
confused.gif