Coast LED Lenser X7/X21

Jauno

Newly Enlightened
Well actually I was after timsy's opinion of the P14 but thanks for your input. I did read that thread and I think you're a little negative about Led Lenser, but I'll put that down to lack of interest on your behalf.

Yeah, exactly. There maybe nothing wrong their lights, but something must be really wrong in their advertisements :D
But these are just my point of view and do not anybody take these as insulting.
Let some other people do the waging a war things around the world...:)

magoo

Newly Enlightened
hi timsy, i have a p14 here in new zealand, and also a p7, the p14 i can easyly spotlight animals at 150 meters . the p7 is an amazing torch as well.cheers.

L.E.D.

Enlightened
Well, there is definitely regulation on the newer Cree models, there is a runtime plot here posted of the T7, decent runtime curve. Compared to the curves of the older models like the David 15 / 19 (Digi Tac I and II), or even the Hokus Focus with an overdriven Lux I and a resistor, they are a lot better. Beam quality also appears to be far nicer as well..

mrmike

Newly Enlightened
I have a P14.

It certainly is well constructed, the plastic battery carrier is super sturdy (unlike the flimsy carriers found in cheap AAA lights).

I like the focusing mechanism; although some may not like the Cree rings, the quantity and size of them is dependent on how you have the lens focused.

The carrying case, lanyard, and display box are also of high quality; it's a nice package, and I like the light a lot, although at about $110 with shipping, it's pretty pricey.

swampy

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I've got a P7 and a P14, both great torches but totally different from one another in size and weight.
The p7 is amazing, small, light, and great light output. The focus works very well and the three step switch is really nice once you start to use it.
The P14 is a big torch and hefty, could be a little heavy for a woman, but feels great in the hand. It has slightly higher light output than the P7 and with its larger reflector can do everything a P7 can do and more. Its focus is a little bit sharper and brighter, its flood a little bit wider and also brighter, also running on four AA its endurance should be two to three times better.
Either one would be a great choice, but, if you don't have a need for the lightness and compactness of a P7 and you're only going to have one torch, get the p14.

I'm extremely happy I have both.

Sarratt

Enlightened
...(if)..... you're only going to have one torch, get the p14.

The problem is that I have more than one torch.:whistle:

I'm "trying" not to duplicate the capabilities of torches I already have.
I would like the P14 but it seems to be very similar to my old, yet still very functional, Streamlight Propolymer Luxeon (4aa with tight hotspot and throw).
Now if you could convince me that the P14 was a great improvement I would happily get one.

:welcome:

YAK-28

Enlightened
i've have a p14 and tried it at my buddy's in wva a couple weekends ago. it was lighting up the tops of the trees accross his driveway, that googled 800' plus away. i think the p14 is a big step up in lumems, the spot beam is similar looking, but a lot brighter. i just ordered the x7 and they said i should have one tomorrow.:popcorn::popcorn:

Epic Win

Newly Enlightened
I wouldn't touch that light with a ten foot pole. Don't get fooled by the numbers,you can get alot more light for that money.
My experience with coast is their outputs are exegerated and their run times is a joke. The focus system rivals a Mag and the light isn't regulated. I think their over priced,this company is German but trust me there's no German engineering here.

Take care.
I'm glad I ran into this thread today because I was until 5 minutes ago very impressed with the X21. Also since it is a German design, I felt biased. Hopefully things have improved since :)

Egsise

Banned
There are many threads about Led Lenser X21, P7 and P14.
X21 runtime to 50% is 50 minutes
P7 runtime to 50% is 1h 50minutes
P14 runtime to 50 is 3h 20minutes

Source is vee73 tests: http://www.kuvaboxi.fi/julkinen/2bcy8+vesa-led-lenser-uk-leatherman-testissa.html

My LL P7 vs Fenix TK20 graph, direct driven vs regulated.
FenixTK20vsLLP7.gif

Led Lensers are great with regular alkalines, but the manufacturer forbids the use of rechargeables. :thumbsdow
Yes many use rechargeables without problems, no need to start argue about this, it does not change the fact that it's against what manufacturer says.

McAllan

Enlightened
Led Lensers are great with regular alkalines, but the manufacturer forbids the use of rechargeables. :thumbsdow
Yes many use rechargeables without problems, no need to start argue about this, it does not change the fact that it's against what manufacturer says.

So does many of the older flashlight brands. M@g no exception - even with their LED models. Guess it's because it's difficult to explain to the user the different behavior then it's easier just to write as they does.
In fact even the older incan flashlights would benefit from rechargeables but you'd have to use a lower bulb voltage if not is was to appear too dull. In Mags case it's just too complicated to explain to the average Joe that if he uses rechargeables in his 6D then he should be using a 4 or 5 cell bulb depending on preference for optimal light output. And regarding their lower cell count lights they don't have any very suitable bulbs because of high % difference in each step at the lower counts. You can get suitable bulbs from third party manufacturers though. I have a 2.4 (or was it 2.2?) volt halogen bulb bought for my old 2D before the LED era. Can't remember if it's an Osram or Philips (one of those two). Not suitable for new alkalines as their voltage is too high (shortening lifetime) but with rechargeables it really shines and puts standard 2 cell M@g bulbs to embarrassing shame.

Don't know about LL's though. Some models seems very tempting to me but many appear to be without regulation and many multicells either direct drive or just a resistor. Can anyone cast a bit of light on that matter? If using direct drive with 4 cells then I can imagine that 4 alkalines would sag sufficiently while 4 NiMH is quite rough on the LED (so is 3 for that matter when they're freshly charged).

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Is there a chinese led lenser p14 ? Eg like the pop lite t34 is a replica of a led lenser p7 but only £20. I hear say its £15 but can't find it that cheap.

Thank you

FireWire

Newly Enlightened
Hi HaHa

I'm still quite new. I don't know how to start a thread, can you help?

Thank you