Coastal HL8 Headlamp Problem

Turkeybird1

Newly Enlightened
I have a Coastal HL8 headlamp that has become frequently used part of my daily life. It's probably the best headlamp that I've ever had, but I've had a similar problem with two of them. The first failed the first day that I had it, and I simply exchanged it. When the second failed I had lost the reciept, and it was well beyond the exchange period anyway. So, I got out my multimeter to begin my autopsy at the battery pack. I checked the battery terminals, and they had correct voltage where they should have had it. Then I moved on to the modular connector between the battery pack and the lamp itself and discovered that there was no current making it to that point. At that point the solution seemed clear to me, a broken solder joint or wire. I opened the top of the case where the battery terminals connect to the wire that wasn't showing to have had current. They were in soldered in place with no evidence of a loose wire or bad solder joint. I noticed that there was an electrical component in heat shrink that had been soldered in line between the negative terminal and the wire. It apears to be a diode or a resistor, it's green, and labled with a symbol ( circle with a zig zag line through it) and 2 A. I would just bypass the component that I believe to be faulty, but I don't know if it might be necessary for some reason. My guess is that it is for the purpose of polarity protection, a fuse of some sort, or a resistor. Could anyone tell me what this is, and if I should be concerned about replacing it rather than just remove it from the circuit.

lwknight

Enlightened
Its no good like it is so why not just bypass and let us know what happens.
I'm looking at the HL27 myself. I intend to toss the 3 AA cell holder and use a 4 cell holder with minh cells. I will mount it inside my hardhat with velcro.
The variable control resistor should be good enough to compensate for the slight voltage increase. Runtime should be increased exponentially.

mudd 31-6

Newly Enlightened
All Coast lights have a Lifetime Warranty

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Turkeybird1

Newly Enlightened
I did bypass it, and it works beautifully.... no problem. Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't logged in quite a while.