Cold weather/Car recommendation

rodmeister

Enlightened
From the other responses you can see most of us carry multiple lights. I've got a Photon II on my keychain and an ARC AAA, ARC LS or Surefire Executive in my pocket. My car is stocked with an AA Maglite, a second Photon, a Lightwave 2000 LED (C cells) and a Petzl Zipka LED headlamp (AAA.)

My guidlines:

1. Keep flashlights with a variety of different sized batteries in case a particular size is unavailable. I experienced a blackout in a small town while traveling, and the local store only had AA and D cells, so I would have been screwed if my sole light took AAA, C, or CR123 cells.

2. Make sure one is a long-burning LED light. My Lightwave 2000 and Petzl Zipka will provide at least 50 to 100+ of useful light on a single set of batteries (lithium of course).

3. One of your lights should be a bright, long-throw light. My Surefire E2e fills that role, but I'm considering a cheaper Scorpion as a leave-and-forget-in-my-car light. A multi D-cell Maglite would be a heavy, rugged alternative (and weapon).

4. Get a headlamp, for example a Tikka, Zipka or Aurora. And/or a headstrap like a "Jackstrap." Mounting a light on your head is a great convenience, freeing your hands for working under the hood or changing a tire - imagine trying to work with one hand holding a flashlight. It also frees up your hands for carrying stuff if you must abandon your car and hoof it.

5. My minimum preferred setup:
- A Zipka LED headlamp - Amazingly small, the size of a jumbo egg. 100+ hours of light, but relatively dim compared to an incandescent. Hands free usage. Uses relatively common AAA cells.
- A Surefire E2e - Very small for it's huge light output. I may subsitute a cheaper Scorpion which has the added advantage of focusing.
- An AA Maglite, or other cheap light for battery diversity, and provide backup to the other lights. Also serve as an expendable loaner, should someone else need a flashlight.

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?!?!?
Loan out a flashlight?!?!? NEVER!!!
grin.gif

Harri

Newly Enlightened
Originally posted by jtivat:
... 5D Mag under the seat (and it's not there for light output
smile.gif
).
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">But putting out the lights?
twak.gif
(Sorry, I just had to...
icon15.gif
)

Back to topic, one thing about the Scorpion - you can actually use it even without gloves in cold weather. Probably the UKE 2L also, but all metal lights like Mag or SureFire...
icon13.gif
The problem with Scorpion really is the run time. But if it's used for emergencies (and you put new batteries after use - old ones to X5T for example) then it will be ok. You do need an "all night" light too though.

Harri

pec50

Enlightened
Streamlight 4AA LED because it is relatively inexpensive, waterproof, will easily run all night, and yet provide plenty of light with seven leds.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Originally posted by Roy:
If an LED is wanted, the new Reactor ($20+), or any of the AA Minimag LS conversions ($20-35) would work fine and not cost as much as a KL-1. They all take AA batteries so feeding them would not be a problem.

Question: Would the fact that all the Minimag LS conversions generate heat, tend to cancel out the low temperature problem with Alkaline batteries? Once you got it turned on and warming up, wouldn't the batteries come back to life?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Roy,

That would depend on how much of the heat is absorbed by the batteries. Considering the relatively small amount of heat generated by the long burning unregulated AA drop-ins, my quess is that there wouldn't be much of a "resusitation" effect.

Brightnorm

Fox

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the techass elite xray. This is the light I keep in my car and it is probably the most useful light I have due to its unique configuration. The xray can also be used as an emergency light with the strobe function for changing a flat tire. Of course you would need another light for changing the tire, so the xray would need to be accompanied by another light.

PhotonRanger

Newly Enlightened
What I carry in my truck:

1. 5C Mag with Pachmayr Sure-Grip
We all know why.

2. Streamlight Syclone Alkaline
Swivel head and clip, sits upright, easy use with gloves - flip switch one way for incandescent, the other for single LED. The new ones come with a white LED rather than the amber LED like in the one I have. 4xAA Lithium

3. Tech 20/Matrix - Dim LED for map reading, AA Lithium. An Infinity would do as well for less.

What's next:
SLA battery 1-2 Mil CP Spotlight or UltraStinger in charger. To see what's at the end of those skid marks that go down the bank.

A cheapo to give away to the hard luck types that I always seem to stopping to help.

In addition, I always have the ARC-AAA on the keychain and a UK Mini-Q40 with Lithiums and Glowring attached in my pack.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
As an all year motorcyclist I have to be careful what I carry either in my clothing or in my knapsack. If I'm on a naked bike without top-bpox or panniers, my knapack is my "boot". A keychain torch is ideal to keep in the pocket, although I don't consider it to be robust enough to go on the ignition key which is exposed to all the weather and being bashed against the handlebar and other keys.
(See "LED Torches for £1" in LED Electroluminescent Forum)
An EMPOWERTORCH BT1 green usually accompanies me either in my knapsack or in a coat pocket. It has proved itself to be a robust little torch. I also have a Nite-Ise equipped 2AA plastic torch (converted to LED ith single Toshiba 8000 mcd orange).
The batteries in these torches are all duracells so should be good for a good number of hours. The fool proof tailswitch of the BT1 maks it easy to use...I usually just bang the rear of the torch against anything convenienly nearby if I want light.
I regularly travel over to Lincolnshire and the BT1 is a useful handtorch to use when securing the bike in an unlit garage.
I'm not sue how well the batteries would perform in extreme conditions such as -20'c but thankfully such weather is rare in England anyway.
It ma be that the little one-quidder keychain torch may be the best thing to have as a standby because of its lithium battery.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by EMPOWERTORCH:
As an all year motorcyclist I have to be careful what I carry...
A keychain torch is ideal to keep in the pocket, although I don't consider it to be robust enough to go on the ignition key which is exposed to all the weather and being bashed against the handlebar and other keys.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmmm. Neat situation to think about optimizing!

Must be compact, really durable, take exposure to the elements, bright.

Sounds like an ARC AAA to me!
Carry a spare AAA battery in your pocket if you feel like you need to.

Or...if the keychain thing just doesn't work for you, Infinity Ultra in the pocket with a lithium AA.

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Large torches are great things to carry if you need a very bright and long battery life torch. When going camping I usually fill my knapsack with a fair number of torches to lend to torchless friends on the camp (and hopefully get them hooked on LED torches in the process!)
I've thought many-a-time of carrying my 3C aluminium torch with me as a suitable deterrent... the bright cyan beam is in itself pretty good at blinding would-be assailants!

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
A light that uses Lithiums, will be either a 123 or AA. The 123s are expensive if you buy them at local retail shop (photo and $10 each). Adds up quickly for 2+ battery lights. Also, 123 based lights have a short runtime, with the exception of the X5/X5T.

Keep this in mind when selecting your Lithium light(s).

SCOTT THE BADGER

Newly Enlightened
In my pickup, I have a Streamlight Vulcan spot, a LiteBox flood, and a Stinger in their chargers. I have noticed that when you need light, you usually need it for a good long time. LEDs are wonderful things, I have Photons and CuffMates on all my key rings, but they just don't put out the kind of light incadecent halogen lights do.