Comparables to the Surefire A2 Aviator?

danpass

Newly Enlightened
I have a 6P and a G2.

It'll looks like I'll go for the A2 at some point lol

What rechargeables (and charger) do you recommend for these lights?

As you know the search function is unavailable at this time and the google results only bring up stuff from 2007 and earlier.

I had tried a thread asking about it but then some mod closed it - "pointless thread" - without providing any links to help me out.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I'm using the AW charger. I peeled the silver labels off of two protected AW RCR123a's and they fit and work fine. It's nice being able to go from rechargeables to primaries without even so much as replacing the bulb.

Illum

Flashaholic
3 LED, regulated xenon, stippled reflector, 4 stage tailcap, uses 2xcr123As...:candle:
the A2 is really a class of its own. the only ideal substitute [in my opinion]
would be the Black Diamond Supernova
2 LED, regulated xenon, stippled reflector, have to click through modes, uses 4xAA, includes a backup cell and a spare lamp:huh:
runs about $60
http://www.trailspace.com/gear/black-diamond/supernova/

souptree

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is no light mentioned in this thread that compares with an A2.

If you can afford one and can justify the cost, get one and preferably one with the LEDs upgraded by one of the great modders here. You will be surprised at how glad you will be that you did!

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I am getting some of the non-frosted HO-A2 bulbs from Lumens Factory for mine, along with a delrin tailguard I have on order. I need to get a short pocket clip from Sure-Fire yet. And I may order an upgraded LED ring from koala when he gets things up and running. And of course I have the RCR123a batteries working in it as mentioned earlier.

This A2 is gonna be tricked out! :cool:

greenLED

Flashaholic
Get the A2 and get it over with.
Actually, no, get the Kroma and get it over with.

Not smaller, but as close as it'll get, IMO.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Don't forget to glue trits behind the 3 Led's!
You did say tricked out didn't you?
:nana:

Noway. My lights are "tactical", hence no glowrings or tritium inserts on any of them. :)

GreenLED, why would a person want a Kroma when they could have an A2 instead? :laughing:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Kroma is really a significantly different light - among other things, much bigger. The A2 is really one of a kind. Whether it's different enough or useful enough to float your boat is another question, but it doesn't really have any close equivalents.

greenLED

Flashaholic
GreenLED, why would a person want a Kroma when they could have an A2 instead? :laughing:
Just 'cuz I'm an LED guy.

Actually, the K2 has too many LED colors for my taste. I sold my K2 MILSPEC for that same reason.

Now, if there was a K2-type light with just white LED's it would beat the A2's behi... wait, that's a LunaSol! :nana: and now Don's making Lunasol 20's (PD size), so what's there not to like?

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
so what's there not to like?

Well, being an incan guy myself, the fact that it's all LED :nana:

When looking for something comparable to the A2, the incandescent option will come up time and time again are the hurdle to jump. Let alone the fact that it is regulated.

Regards,
Tempest