Comparison Tri-EDC and SST-50 EDC

erni0066

Hello Guys

I choose between Tri-EDC and SST-50 EDC.
Maybe somebody did comparative photos of these beams flashlights?
If yes, please give link on these photos.

Basically it is interesting to me on how many beam Tri-EDC is wider than beam SST-50 EDC?

Thanks

nfetterly

Supporter
I do not have the Tri-EDC yet - but I do have 4 triple drop-ins and a quad drop-in as well as Mac's SST-50 EDC (as well as the SST-50 Mag drop-in). There may be some threads comparing them - maybe Run4JC - but his most recent ones have disappeared in the "troubles".

The main difference for me would be that the SST-50 EDC would give more of a defined spot - and is very bright particularly the 2.8A model. The neutral (4500K) is VERY nice.

If you don't have a triple then the tri-edc will probably (based on my triples & quad with optics) be very different - a very very large bright spot with some spill (that tends to disappear in comparison to the spot). It is not like a multi-dye LED (flood - think P7 or MC-E). It is kind of in between a multi-dye LED and a single dye LED (SST-50, XP-G, XR-E, etc). I'm looking forward to mine!

Jetpowered

Hello Guys

I choose between Tri-EDC and SST-50 EDC.
Maybe somebody did comparative photos of these beams flashlights?
If yes, please give link on these photos.

Basically it is interesting to me on how many beam Tri-EDC is wider than beam SST-50 EDC?

Thanks
I own both lights. I love them. The Tri=EDC is an amazing flood light. The SST-50 EDC has good throw and would be the better choice for hunting or outdoor stuff.
The Tri-EDC is better for any needs inside 50-75 meters.

erni0066

I own both lights. I love them. The Tri=EDC is an amazing flood light. The SST-50 EDC has good throw and would be the better choice for hunting or outdoor stuff.
The Tri-EDC is better for any needs inside 50-75 meters.
WOW! Thanks for very helpful information!
On what distance throws light SST-50 EDC? Thanks

ma_sha1

Hello Guys
Thanks

General rule of thumb, With same diameter head, single led will always out-throw multiple led set-ups when both were
pushed to the limit. Tri & quad led in 20mm head will be mostly flood, despite claims on narrow optics.
I find even single SST-50 being too floody for out door use. The single XML is a little better due to smaller 4mm SQ die
vs. SST-50 5mm SQ die. It throws a bit further but still on the floody side for me even in slightly bigger p60 head.

nfetterly

Supporter
I really like my quad 5.6A neutral, while not a flood like a P7 or MC-E it doesn't work very well in a misty smokey tank trying to see if something is on fire - versus my M2 SST-50 Oveready head. I find the multl-led with optics extremely usable inside an industrial facility (except trying to "point" something out, but I have a laser for that), much better than multi dye LED. It really wants to be called a "room sweeper" - but milky caught that one a few years ago.

I do have to note - that the last 10 or so multi LED builds with optics that ma sha1 built & posted I drooled over and couldn't quite pull the trigger on - because I KNEW that the next one would be EVEN WILDER. So I certainly bow to his experience. And since he's moved on from mag builds I will have to try and catch something that one of his customers releases :mecry::shakehead :hairpull:

Last edited: