Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

JudasD

Enlightened
You obviously failed to include the most obvious place to start your search: post #1. Nano-oil is mentioned there.

I have read the first post numerous times. I see references of products like nyogel being used for o-rings, but i see nothing for nano-oil saying yes or no for o-rings. maybe i am missing something?

Thanks,
JD

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
maybe i am missing something?

Yes, you are...

Here's an extract from post #1:

Very Good Lubes

Nyogel: This lube is used by Surefire, and can be purchased from Lighthound. This lube tends to change color slightly, but that should not affect it's lubrication properties. 759G/760G is tuned more for threads, 779ZC is tuned more for o-rings. Here's a good review.

Super-Lube: A cost-effective teflon-based lube that provides very smooth action. Both the grease and the oil perform well. It can be purchased from many hardware stores and online retailers, such as MSC.

NO-OX-ID: A wax-based lube with excellent anti-oxidation properties. It's been around for about 50 years. Sold at the Marketplace.

Krytox: One of the best lubes out there. This is a fluorinated grease that is very non-reactive and is safe for just about any application. This lube works exceptionally well on Ti lights. It is available in many different varieties, but the two most popular here are straight grease and a mix of 50/50 GPL101 oil and GPL201 grease. The grease can be purchased from the Marketplace in small quantities, and 50/50 can be purchased from the Sandwich Shoppe. It has been discovered that the sodium nitrate additive in the anti-oxidation varieties of Krytox can reduce the wear-resistance of Krytox on Ti and bare Al. The difference is small, but it is something to make a note of.Nano-Oil: A highly-recommended lube by forum members. The lube uses oil as a carrier for nano-particles that are designed to act as a bearing surface.
Can you see it now? I've enlarged it slightly and changed the color for you... :whistle:

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
i see nothing for nano-oil saying yes or no for o-rings.
it doesnt have to say anything. it's listed under VERY GOOD LUBES, which means that you can use it with o-rings and threads with no problems (similar to superlube). just buy it and use it.

no problems.

thats why it is a a VERY GOOD LUBE.

N162E

Enlightened
Yes, you are...

Here's an extract from post #1:

Can you see it now? I've enlarged it slightly and changed the color for you... :whistle:
I Don't, says nothing about rings. This forum member thinks all Nano Oil is poor performing. Being Petroleum based it is especially BAD for many kinds of o-rings. Don't use it. Sorry almighty mod.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My apologies for being a little late on this issue but I have a pretty good guess about the above. Some silicone greases can contain (and I am not making this up, I have some of this exact stuff in my lab and it's in the fine print on the tube) finely ground glass. I tried this out a long time ago and had the exact same results as you reported - an immediate change in the rotational feel from smooth to gritty. I think that the glass is added as a thickening agent for the silicone grease. I can't think of a worse 'lube' for what we're trying to do. :)

Finely ground glass is not used as a thickening agent because it doesn't cross link and make new molecular structures, etc.

What it probably had was amorphous fumed silica, which doesn't look like glass under the microscope at all..but DOES act as a thickener...even in foods, etc (Yeah, we eat this crap too...).

Now, despite not being ground glass (They essentially burn the silica to make a fume...) - its ALSO used as a really fine/gentle polishing agent - so, while no where near as abrasive as ground glass, which has much larger particles, etc..and being shaped much differently, it IS abrasive, and would wear, or at least finely polish, soft materials (Materials softer than it is).

As fumed silica is really in there to thicken the grease, so its less drippy, etc...rather than as a polish or grinding agent.....the DEGREE of wear is probably quite microscopic, albeit it is happening.

:D

In the lab, we use this type of grease for vacuum seals, ground glass joints, etc. Just to throw this out there...organic lithium compounds (and some other organic metals) can react with silicone grease to form salts. Given the Li-ion batteries in there, and other metals, I wonder if they ever off gas or release that type of emission? If they did, the salts might make a "grit" develop in the grease they react with.

Last edited:

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the o-rings that come with your light has hardened or has 'jumped its tracks', just go to your local auto/truck parts supply, and buy
automotive or even industrial-grade o-rings (ie: VITON, etc). That way you are insured of a material designed to seal surfaces, are petroleum-resistant, etc. That will considerably lessen or even end your o-ring/lube compatibility concerns. In my experience, I don't lube bare aluminum threads, it absorbs it, giving you that 'grainy feel' after a while. Fine with anodized threads though. I only lube the o-rings. Re-apply lube after maybe every other time, just to make the o-ring slide against any rotating matter.

Last edited:

DM51

Super Moderator,
Supporter
I Don't, says nothing about rings. This forum member thinks all Nano Oil is poor performing. Being Petroleum based it is especially BAD for many kinds of o-rings. Don't use it. Sorry almighty mod.
You are entitled to your opinion. Contrary to what you seem to assume, I have no opinion one way or the other on Nano-oil. I was simply reproducing an extract from post #1 for the benefit of a member who had for some reason been unable to locate it.

You, on the other hand, seem determined to push your own favored product, to the extent that you have made no fewer than 3 shill posts extolling its supposed virtues. Your posts, and replies to them, have been removed.

JudasD

Enlightened
There seems to be some posts missing from the middle of this thread. Has anyone else noticed this? There were a few posts towards the middle of the thread that had to do with cleaning steps and tips. The bookmarks that i had previously made are now referencing different posts.

Thanks,
JD

TEEJ

Flashaholic
There seems to be some posts missing from the middle of this thread. Has anyone else noticed this? There were a few posts towards the middle of the thread that had to do with cleaning steps and tips. The bookmarks that i had previously made are now referencing different posts.

Thanks,
JD

Some posts were removed...so the numbers assigned to the other posts shifted.

Plus, it would not surprise me if this thread also suffered some chronological damage from that server thing a bit ago, where new posts were dated as occurring in ~ 2008 or so, and jumped ahead of even the OP, etc.

JudasD

Enlightened
Some posts were removed...so the numbers assigned to the other posts shifted.

Plus, it would not surprise me if this thread also suffered some chronological damage from that server thing a bit ago, where new posts were dated as occurring in ~ 2008 or so, and jumped ahead of even the OP, etc.

I was thinking that was the issue and tried searching the thread and still could not find it. Im not going to mention any names, but there was a really nice post with some cleaning/lubing tips. im really bummed that it is now gone. :mecry:

JD

Bullzeyebill

Staff member
Many threads we deleted from this thread over the months by moderators for various infractions. I counted 9 just this month, so far. Best to search your user name, or subscription list for posts that you made.

Bill

Dusterdude

Newly Enlightened
With all of the talk about Krytox I bought some in the from of Extreme Fluoro from Finish Line. After application of the Krytox on the bare aluminium threads and o-ring of my ThruNite 1A the feel of the threads was horrid. When I rotated the head I could hear crunchy sounds and it felt like sand was in the grease. (Bare aluminium was mentioned in #388). After switching back to Super Lube grease, the head rotation became smooth as silk once again, what a difference!

JudasD

Enlightened
I tried some nano-oil and so far i do like it. On my aluminum lights (Nitecore, Fenix, etc) it is very smooth. Superlube never did feel very smooth on these lights and the nano-oil is very nice.
I do have one light that is Ti tail cap and aluminum body (4Sevens). On this light the nano-oil doesn't feel like it is doing any lubrication. The sound and feel is as though my threads are dry. I cleaned off the nano-oil and put superlube back on it. Now it feels smooth again.
I will be using nano-oil on my aluminum lights from now on. For me the jury is still out on the other metals.

JD

wquiles

Flashaholic
I tried some nano-oil and so far i do like it. On my aluminum lights (Nitecore, Fenix, etc) it is very smooth. Superlube never did feel very smooth on these lights and the nano-oil is very nice.
I do have one light that is Ti tail cap and aluminum body (4Sevens). On this light the nano-oil doesn't feel like it is doing any lubrication. The sound and feel is as though my threads are dry. I cleaned off the nano-oil and put superlube back on it. Now it feels smooth again.
I will be using nano-oil on my aluminum lights from now on. For me the jury is still out on the other metals.

JD
I think your post reflects the main goal of this thread: experiment and try a few lubes/oils (based on recommendations as a starting point), and then see what works best for you (and your lights) ;)

Will

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've found that FrogLube makes my threads work great...and no oring issues.

I'm glad someone else is trying this too. It has been some time now and no issues. Non Toxic, and my lights smell minty fresh :)
I didn't notice as much difference as I thought I would between the lube and the paste, I think I will go back to paste and it is a (well semi) dry lube and should attract less crud if dropped in the sand or dirt.

Last edited:

Dr Evil

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody used Nyogel on on the o-rings supplied by TnC or on a copper host? I want to make sure there hasn't been any problems before I use it on copper or the o-rings TnC uses.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm glad someone else is trying this too. It has been some time now and no issues. Non Toxic, and my lights smell minty fresh :)
I didn't notice as much difference as I thought I would between the lube and the paste, I think I will go back to paste and it is a (well semi) dry lube and should attract less crud if dropped in the sand or dirt.

My FrogLube is in a tub, and comes as a paste, about like a tin of car wax in consistency.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've tried them all and most work fine. Nano-Oil is my favorite, but sometimes something thicker is needed. Nano-Grease does that well. No o-ring problems of any kind. Finish Line Extreme Flouro is also very good. Krytox has worked well for me.

happyguy82

Newly Enlightened
Finally the good stuff has arrived :)

0e43ae1d6ddd7c7ac68db2231adf0479.jpg