Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats the difference between the damping grease and 760g for threads? Just a smoother feel?

Damping grease adds resistance to movement. Nye makes a range of damping greases with varying amounts of resistance, and difference chemical recipes for various uses. These greases are typically used to smooth out movement and keep things from moving too easily, such as in rotary controls and camera lens mechanisms.

Any damping grease will make turning things harder to move. You'd have to try various strengths to find the one you need, and a recipe that's compatible with your materials and environment. I happened to find some 767G for sale and tried it on some Sunwayman rings, and luckily it works great. It's usually pretty expensive, so the sample kit would've been nice and last a hobbyist a lifetime, but it was not to be.

https://www.nyelubricants.com/damping-greases

Other threads on CPF mention other brands and sources.

nightshade

Enlightened
I requested that damping grease sample kit from Nye's website a few years ago, and they called me back, asked me some questions, and denied me. I wasn't a potential large-scale buyer, apparently, and I honestly told them it was for a University repair shop, and that I'd used Nye 767G on a turntable cueing lifter. They told me to buy the kit and referred me to a company, which wanted quite a bit of money for their Nye products.

Sorry to hear that, I purchased mine.

nightshade

Enlightened

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to hear that, I purchased mine.

It didn't seem worth it for me to buy the kit since I already had bought 767G. It would've been interesting to try others, then know what to buy for various uses. Their website said simply fill out the form for a free kit. I had a nice phone chat with their sales engineer. I can't blame them for being selective, but I'm used to semiconductor companies, which in my experience gladly send anyone a few "engineering samples."

andydviking

Newly Enlightened
Thanks louie and nightshade for the information. I did try to google it but couldn't find much. I also got further confused by the fact that when I searched "Nyogel damping grease" some resellers had "760g damping grease" which made me wonder if 760g was considered a light damping grease. I gathered what it was because Nyogel explains that it's used for dials and so forth. However, I was wondering if it had the protective qualities of a 760g and if it would be good for flashlight threads. In particular titanium threads as I was also wondering if it would help remove the "gritty" feel that titanium has. lol, this thread is very informative but can confuse the noob a bit with all the different opinions. I ordered viton o-rings for my lights so I know what I have that way.

This was linked in nightshades first video. Good info. https://shop.newgatesimms.com/damping-grease/

Last edited:

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a confusing field. Your questions could probably be answered by a Nye sales engineer.

760G has long been recommended as a general flashlight lube here, maybe because it was said that Surefire used it. I'd consider it no more damping than most other general purpose greases. I tried it on my Sunwayman V11R ring and it was too loose for me. It seems to be fine for all other flashlight threads and other general greasing. It seems fine to me on my titanium Eagtacs.

The stuff sold as helical or damping grease has a wide variety, and I think they must quantify how stiff it is, the temperature range, the chemistry and so on, but I haven't figured out exactly how to pick what you need, and they are pretty expensive. Too expensive to buy bunches to experiment with, for me.

Nye sent me to TAI Lubricants for small orders including the $90 damping grease kit with 5 samples.
https://www.tai-lubricants.com

I bought my 760G and 767G from Micro-Tools, but in the future, I'll buy Ford/Motorcraft XG-12 which appears to be Nye 760G for much less.

andydviking

Newly Enlightened
760G seems to be recommended all around the web for o-rings and threads. Here is 767a that is heavier viscosity for a decent price. I haven't used this site before but I think I may buy some and see if I like it. https://www.oveready.com/flashlight/nyogel-767aa-damping-grease-10g-tube/. Tai lubicants looks like they sell more bulk stuff for other stuff besides flashlight threads. Very pricey.

It's a confusing field. Your questions could probably be answered by a Nye sales engineer.

760G has long been recommended as a general flashlight lube here, maybe because it was said that Surefire used it. I'd consider it no more damping than most other general purpose greases. I tried it on my Sunwayman V11R ring and it was too loose for me. It seems to be fine for all other flashlight threads and other general greasing. It seems fine to me on my titanium Eagtacs.

The stuff sold as helical or damping grease has a wide variety, and I think they must quantify how stiff it is, the temperature range, the chemistry and so on, but I haven't figured out exactly how to pick what you need, and they are pretty expensive. Too expensive to buy bunches to experiment with, for me.

Nye sent me to TAI Lubricants for small orders including the $90 damping grease kit with 5 samples.
https://www.tai-lubricants.com

I bought my 760G and 767G from Micro-Tools, but in the future, I'll buy Ford/Motorcraft XG-12 which appears to be Nye 760G for much less.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Note: I've previously mistakenly called 767A by 767G.

$13 for 10g of 767A comes out to about $37 per ounce, I think, but at least there's not much waste to go bad. Other discussions mention other brands on internet auction sites that work similarly.

760G sold as Motorcraft is more like $4.40/oz.

Seems like even some vendors don't really know how to quantify the damping of greases. There's a dramatic difference between 760G and 767A, I would personally not recommend 767A for general purpose grease use, it's too stiff.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent some time reading this thread but can't really decide which one is the best. I have a ton of flashlights of all materials so price is not an issue here. I'm kind of leaning towards the NO-OX-ID because it is electrically conductive. However, I would appreciate your recommendations and why you think one is better.

NO-OX-ID A-Special Electrical Grade Conductive Grease

Nano-Oil

Nyogel 760G

Super Lube Oil

I haven't used half of those, so I don't know. Any of them should be just fine for flashlights, unless they attack the O-rings.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is the best I can tell anyone else.
At this point I have a collection of over 100 lights ranging from my oldest (a 1937 Brass Miners flashlight) to the Klarus Mini-One I just bought.
Somewhere in the area of 98% of my lights are functional with just a few being too rusted or whatever for me to risk trying to restore them.

In 2012 I purchased a 2oz tube of Nyogel 760G and as of right now I have used about half of it.

I have a "circle" of 6 lights that get regular daily use and that includes a couple of twist-head style pocket lights where the "O" rings get a workout from constant on/off at work and contamination from whatever you usually find in pockets. I also introduced a friend (a farmer) to Nyogel 760G because his lights get a lot of outdoor, dusty, gritty, wet, use and he used to have a fair amount of trouble with "O" rings getting worn/torn and then water intrusion into his light(s).

Since I started using the Nyogel I haven't had to replace a single "O" ring due to use/wear and I haven't had any contamination intrusion (dust/grit/moisture) in any light that was a result of something getting past the lubricated "O" ring.

To be clear, I do a regular maintenance cycle of cleaning old Nyogel off (with alcohol) and re-applying about every 6-8 months on my heavily used lights, especially the twist-head ones, but I also have lights where the same Nyogel has been on them since 2012 and though it has thickened/stiffened a bit, it was still perfectly serviceable.

So I can't speak to other stuff, but the Nyogel 760G has worked great for me and since the rate of use is so low (1oz in 6 years) the price (currently $12 for 1oz at amazon) is pretty reasonable for the use.

neutralwhite

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi I have some Lubri Film as well as Nano Oil and would like to know as the flashlight has some FLUOROSILICONE FVMQ O rings, is it ok just to carry on using Lubri Film Grease ( someone stated it has some petroleum in it ) on the O rings too, as they are resistant to Petroleum, or just lube them with nano oil to be safe?.
thank you.

coffeeandlifting

Newly Enlightened
Can someone back up the claim that motor oil would damage o-rings? This seems like a myth. I'm pretty sure O-rings are made of EPDM... or the same stuff that all the seals in your car engine are made of... you know, the ones that seal the motor oil in without dissolving? :thinking:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can someone back up the claim that motor oil would damage o-rings? This seems like a myth. I'm pretty sure O-rings are made of EPDM... or the same stuff that all the seals in your car engine are made of... you know, the ones that seal the motor oil in without dissolving? :thinking:

Many lights use silicone, nitrile or butyl o-rings.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Started using Nyogel 760G in 2003.

Fast forward 15yrs and it's still the only lubricant I'll use on my lights.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone just tell me if Nyogel is more slippery than Silicone Grease?
I'd just like my Twisty lights to operate more easily one handed.
Thank you.
P

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use simple silicone grease on mine. It is stiffer to turn than say petroleum jelly is, but it also means there will be no accidental on or twisting off of parts. I prefer the stiffer turning action but still am able to turn on any light one handed. I have never tried Nyogel as it is too $$ in my country.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
The Nyogel 760G seems thinner in viscosity compared to the nitecore silicone grease that I've tried and is easier to turn. I'm breaking in a twisty ITP A4 that I modded with a new driver and emitter. I used Nyogel 760G and was still too stiff causing mode jumping when twisting on, so I cleaned up the o-ring & threads and switched lubricants to superlube synthetic oil with ptfe and is by far the easiest to turn yet.

Last edited: