Conclusive choice for MC-E (and P7 too) reflector/optic?

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a search but there wasn't a whole lot of info - so was wondering if there were any recent advances/consensuses regarding: choice for Cree MC-E reflectors?

McGizmo put one in an LS27, looks almost all pure flood, but what amazed me was that it was so even and non-artifacty - which seems like it would be harder to achieve given the bigger gap between the dice on the MC-E as compared to the P7?

There was a thread with a link to a European mtb forum, but the pics were really blurry and you couldn't tell whether there were artifacts or not - but the Boom narrow reflector seemed pretty good.

I plan to do some P7 and MC-E mods, both in larger (Mag), medium (SF L5) and possibly smaller sizes, and wanted to have a good idea of what the options (or best options) were for each emitter.

Thanks in advance guys.

trout

Enlightened
There are quite a few beamshots of lots of optics and a couple of reflectors here in this thread.
It is like the search for the holy grail .

I think the boom narrow is the best of a poor bunch.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks trout - that was the thread I was talking about that had blurry pics =) Thanks though!

donn_

Flashaholic
I've only got one MC-E light, so far, and it uses the reflector from the UltraFire MC-C2 MC-E from DX. It does a beautiful job with it. It just fits in an Aleph 3 head.

Milky's sending me one in an McR27L, cut down, and installed in a KL3. He told me it's a beautiful beam, but I haven't seen it yet.

The best overall beam I've seen with a single P7 is in a 3" FM3H with smooth reflector.

I have one in a Milkified McR38 which is almost perfect inside, and perfect outdoors.

I have one in an McR27XR, and it's got a beautiful beam.

I have one in a Fraen 34.?mm faceted wide angle reflector, designed for the Ostar LED. It's a mule with a bit of hotspot.

I've got another one in a Milkified Khatod 20mm HS, cut down, in an Aleph 2 head. Very nice but floody beam in a tiny light.

I've got another one with no reflector, behind an aspheric in a regular Mag head. It's the best thrower, if you like that sort of beam.

Finally, the underdriven ~300 lumen P7/Flupic mule is, by far, my favorite mule.

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the feedback guys!

Wow, AlexGT - that throwmaster is intense!! And it doesn't even look like there's a hint of a cross-shaped null void in the middle at all?

Donn: Cool, I'd love to hear how that McR27L fares in the KL3. I wanted to get a bit more throwy light in my next L5 mod. The cut-down McR-38 I have in mine, with a write-right circle, works well and is a nice floody beam, but if I could eke some more throw out of the light, I think it would make it a bit more useful.

What's a Khatod 20mm HS?

That's neat to hear about the MC-E in the UltraFire C2 reflector. Do you figure that reflector would fit in an L5 head?

donn_

Flashaholic
What's a Khatod 20mm HS?

That's neat to hear about the MC-E in the UltraFire C2 reflector. Do you figure that reflector would fit in an L5 head?

Khatod 20mm HS is a 20mm heavy stipple reflector.

The Ultrafire would be close for the L5. The head of the L5 is 37.34mm diameter, and the head of the Ultrafire light is 41mm. I suppose you could trim the reflector to fit.