Confused wattage rating on Tec 40

Brock

Flashaholic
You know I think the Tec 40 has to be the next light I get. I have the rage, blast and tec 20, but not the 40. How do you think it compares to the other 2.1w lights?

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been pluzzing me that Tec 40 wasn't recommended by many of forum members due to its brightness. However, it was rated 4W and this should be far brighter than UK4AA (2.1W), ArcWhite (2.4W) and Propoly 4AA (2.5W).

I got a Tec 40 earlier today and found out that it was using HMP20 bulb and this bulb is only rated 2.4W (4.8v 0.5A)??? However, its printing on the package and its web site explicitly says it is 4W. I was expecting its bulb should be rated 4.8v 0.85A

Isn't it a false advertising? Or I simply missed something obvious.

Alan

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have Rage and Blast, so I couldn't be able to compare them. Anyway, I could compare it with other 4AA. I would like to mention that the TEC 40 I got has textured reflector, so it will improve its smoothness but weaken range.

For the look (very subjective), Propoly win
For the brightness, Propoly win
For light smoothness, UK4AA win, Propoly is the worst
For whiteness, Propoly win and UK4AA comes close
For long range, ArcWhite win and Propoly comes close.
For size, TEC 40 win
For sturdiness, all are close except ARCwhite
Special features, Propoly has tailswitch (my flavorite), ARC white has CCFT
Unexpected features 1, TEC 40 and ARC white use standard PR bulb. If it got burnt, you could get it any where.
Unexpected features 2, high output PR bulb is widely available from Philips, Eveready, Carley. You could modify it to fit your taste.

Strange enough, even with TEC 40's textured reflector, It still have a lot of rings. Its textured reflector only smooth the hot spot. In smoothness category, it only beat Propoly and even lose to ArcWhite (ArcWhite has less ring but not as smooth as TEC 40 in hot spot).

So, is TEC 40 not worth anything? Since it uses standard PR bulb, it makes it one of the lowest cost light to run daily and able to take abuse (ArcWhite couldn't stand abuse and should stay home).

Another interesting point is the Unexpected Features 2 I mentioned above, I install White Star bulb and rechargeables in ArcWhite and TEC 40. ArcWhite is significantly brighter and throw even farther than tightly focused 4D Mac lite. Its reflector seems like custom fit for White Star! On the other hand, TEC 40 improves only a bit in brightness (bigger hot spot) but not throw farther. Intestestingly, it smoothes out a bit of its rings. I have tried different bulbs (Philips halogen, Krypton, Magnum Star), White Star has the best effect for both lights.

After all, TEC 40 is still the most practical/budget light to run daily (in rechargeable) due to its low cost bulb. The cost of bulb in Hong Kong : White Star - $1; UKE - $7.7; Propoly - $6.5.

This is a great light to hand out if someone asks you to borrow a light - you're known to have many lights amongst your friends, aren't you:)))

Since you have all other lights, you might be able to imagine what it like.

My question remains, why Princeton falsely advertise its wattage? This can't be a mistake. This make me lose a bit confidence in this company and might hesitate about its newly announced 7W headlight?? May be it turns out to be 4W.

Alan

Brock

Flashaholic
Thanks Alan, nice review! Now I want to get one to see for myself. I had also heard they were 4 w but thought that was odd.

Spidey82

Enlightened
My
standerd PR bulb is rated at 4.8V 0.5A
krypton is 4.8V 0.75A
i have a 2cell halogen at 2.4v 0.85A
i guess 4cell halogen is 4.8V 0.85A (4.08W)
maybe your dealer has swap your bulb??
how do your bulb look?
like a normal PR base one,
or with the "twise" on the top??

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
HMP20 (the bulb they advertised) is 4.8v 0.5A Halogen from Philips. Philips doesn't have 4.8v 0.85A Halogen, instead, they do have 5.2v 0.85A.

I have just recieved reply from Princeton. They confirmed that they're using HMP20 and the bulb is rated at 2.1W. However, they claimed that the rating is based on 4.8v 0.5A but the new batteries (4 x 1.5v) will overdrive the bulb to 4W. That's why they advertised it as 4W.

One thing they didn't mention is the 4W claim might not be sustained for more than 20 minutes of continuous-on on a set of new batteries. Not quite only if you're gonna use Lithium.

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

just bought a "blast" today. ****'s sporting goods @$7.99. great little light!!!! advertised as 3hr max burntime. xexon bulb. how long do xexon bulbs last at 3 volts? the size/weight/brightness ratio are great, but the manufacturers packaging doesn't mention about bulb replacement? will the brinkmann nexstar or 3volt mag bulbs fit this light? it's been clipped to my shorts for hours and is not noticeable, unlike a 2aa mag might be
rolleyes.gif

funk

Enlightened
I buy my module replacements from Campmor for $3.50 - the module lasts about 30 hrs or so, if I remember right. They have what they call a Giga Rage, which is just a Rage with a different name - so they tell me, for 7.99. I have seen the standard Rage for less than $10 lately on specials........ same style module for the same price as the blast.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, when you overdrive the bulbs, the current consume goes up to. That ought to make it 4 watts. If only for a while.

Brock

Flashaholic
I have since gotten one and it draws about 2.75w after 1 minute of runtime on new batteries. As usual there is some exaggeration in the wattage of the light. Check out my site for some common lights and actual wattage.

qkrthnu

Newly Enlightened
I realize this is an old post, but I just have to get someone to clarify this.

I just bought some TEC 40s recently. The package clearly says 4Watts. If the bulb is really only .5amps then wouldn't the light be 3Watts (6Vx.5amps = 3Watts)?

Latest posts