• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Converter Reference Chart - The Easy Way

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi.

I have tried to compile a chart for all the currently available drivers that can be used with the McLux Aleph Series. If I have missed anything or if you can see something wrong please let me know!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif Note: I do not guarantee this data to be 100% correct and shall not be held responsible for damage occured due to false info posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif

Converterchart1.jpg

Some more cool drivers that will not fit in the LE but can be used in other Mods:

converterchart2.jpg

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif Please understand that there are likely some limitations not clear in this chart since I took the data I could find and assambled it into this chart, but as this is really not my field of expertise I am not able to figure it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif

Some typical combos or upcoming hotties:

1 x 123 ; LuxIII ; MadMax *
1 x 123 ; LuxIII ; Badboy 400-500 *
1 x 123 ; LuxIII ; NexGen 750-1000 (once available)
1 x 123 ; LuxV ; BadBoy 500 (will run on 2x123)
2 x 123 ; LuxIII ; DownBoy 700-1000
2 x 123 ; LuxIII ; SDC1000
2 x 123 ; LuxV ; Badboy 750
PILA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Li-Ion ; LuxIII ; NewWiz (once available)

* = is also cool on 2 x AA

bernhard

P.S.: thanx to the creators of these fine instruments for providing info ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
Quite an undertaking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif In regards to the Wiz, BB and DB, they all have an internal current capacity (Iin) of from 1.5 to 2 amps as I recall. This internal current limit will preclude their use in some of the possibilities implied in your chart. I defer to the electronic wizards to step in and provide clarification here...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
uh ... I could pretend to understand what you are trying to say here ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif ... but I guess the essence would be that there's something wrong. oh oh ...
bernhard

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Thanks, Bernhard. With your post and some of Don's and the bin-thread just posted in the LED section, this is starting to make sense.

The 917 Aleph 1 that Don built for me is unbelievably awesome. With a couple more posts like this, I'll know why.

Josey

paulr

Flashaholic
Nice chart. I didn't realize the DB is less efficient than the BB. Oh well.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif Please understand that there are likely some limitations not clear in this chart since I took the data I could find and assambled it into this chart, but as this is really not my field of expertise I am not able to figure it out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/caution.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Bernhard,
Hopefully you have initiated something here with a foundation that can be expanded upon by those in the know!

My gut tells me that a grid with voltage increments across the top and an emitter paired with a driver and current level in each row would come closer to identifying the acceptable voltage bands for each of these. Obviously there will be a low or high voltage limit based on the Vf of the LED and not the converter necessarily. The converter's limit could be identified with the cavete (sp) that Vf will be real limit. Unfortunately, the interrelationships of the power, voltage and current are not always trivial and one can find oneself in a corner. There are many combinations which are a consistant solution regardless of LED Vf. There are other situations which are riddled with a topography of solutions as well as dangerous pits. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post Bernhard.

Anyone know when the NextGen BB1000 will be avialable? I want to get a Aleph LE configuration, but am holding out for the NextGen BB1000 for my configuration on a 2x123 setup.

Thanks

Curtis

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Curtis,
What do you plan to drive with the NextGen on 2x123?!?!?!

albert

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Curtis,

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

balrog

Enlightened
A lot of effort must have gone into that chart. The SDC seems to run quite well on Pilas by all accounts. I also have the feeling that the NexWiz and SDC are voltage regulated.

paulr, my own measurements have shown that the DB is more efficient than the BB, but the real-life efficiency varies with each particular setup.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
McGizmo said:
Curtis,

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake. I misread the chart above. I didn't realize that the NextGen only runs on 1x123 or 2xAA. Sorry.

I wanted something super efficient with long bright runtime that could compliment my upcoming LionHeart. So I was thinking something bigger than the LH and with more light output ...maybe more of a completely light up the entire room as opposed to putting a spot on something 50 yards away. Would the DB917 with LuxIII or maybe a Luv5 with a 700ma setup accomplish this or should I wait until the Aleph3 configuration is ready?

This is what I am thinking for my overall collection.

Arc AAA
TnC N-cell
LionHeart and VIP
one or two of Dons lights here..... suggestions welcome
Pelican M6 w/UCL (can't stand on end /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif )
maybe some mag mods 2C mods like a SNII or something....
UfoKillerz HID
Tiger85
Mule

I think what I am missing is the "wall of light" configuration out of the list above....also trying to have increasing brightness with still very good runtime as I head down the chart/list above. Any suggestions as to what to get would be appreciated.

Thanks

Curtis

Kiessling

Flashaholic
a 5W is the "wall-of-light" ticket. The smaller the reflector, the more flood and less throw you will have.

The above list is for LEDs and elecgtronics only, not a list about photon management systems.

I personally like:

Aleph1 5W BB500

This has still some reasonable throw and produces a lot of light. It can run on 1x or 2x123 and is thus quite versatile. Heat is not a big concern either with a BB500.
AND with the LE concept you can later swap it in the Aleph2 or Aleph3 to change the beam pattern.

bernhard

P.S.: runtime on 1x123 is roughly 30min on high