Converting this into a focus light?

OS74

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this light, my intention was to mount it on an arm on my camera and use it as a focus light.

http://www.manafont.com/imagelibrar...pg&q=90&hash=0d4af441d7f34c655076f292ab82324d

[Hotlinked image ^^ converted to link. Please read Rule 3. - DM51]

http://www.manafont.com/product_inf...l-xml-t6-200m-diver-flashlight-2x18650-p-7353

It is a little bit on the big side, but seems good for the job. The dimmer works surprisingly well. I want to modify it to give a softer and wider spread more suitable for camera use.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking some kind of mild diffusing lens cover, like a clear plastic with rough surface. Its a trade off with not loosing too much light.

Cheers
O

Last edited by a moderator:

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I converted a reflector based light to an aspheric and had the aspheric sitting as close as possible to the LED.
Result is a very wide and even beam.
I use it to light up my lathe chuck but I think it would work just as well as a focus light for a camera. The cameras strobe should easily over power it so it shouldn't show up in the photo.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you could cut a little off the back of the reflector, so the LED sits farther forward (or the reflector farther back), it would spread out the focus.

OS74

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! That's three good ideas.

The front glass seems fairly sturdy and is fixed with an O-ring, i think with this construction that it must be pushed out from the inside. The front seems much better constructed than my old "Ugly light" (But that does not say much ;-).

There are double o-rings in both ends, but the orings were partly sheared on delivery so these should be replaced before diving.

Cheers
/O

OS74

Newly Enlightened
What about a flip-up cover from a riflescope with a matte plastic?

Then the cap could be flipped up an used as ordinary diving light with more penetration between ths shooting opportunities.

I haven't yet found a cheap cover among my usual sources yet though...

/O

jspeybro

Enlightened