Convoy Roche F8 short review

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
By curiosity I ordered a Convoy F8 with an XM-L2 T6 emitter. This one is claimed to use a high quality driver and it was available in neutral tint as well, like all Convoy lights actually. Apart from that it has low voltage protection at 2,8V. Some good features for a budget light I think. Also I like the gold color, nice with something else than black! I chosed the neutral tint option. Price: $30.

First impression: this light feels pretty good in the hand. Yes, I can feel this is not the high end level, though not junk. I have several Solarforce and that's a pretty good comparison, maybe a bit higher level. The surface is matt and unslip, pretty much similar to Armytek lights. Good grip without need of knurling! Also the tailcap with the inbuilt tactical grip ring and the cooling fins provide to the good hold of this light.

In the instruction it stands: these lights do not have any flickering issues. Therefore I thought it means current controlled and not PWM. But after a while I heard some high frequency whining at low and mid modes and waved fast with my finger behind the beam and noticed that it actually uses PWM. But with a high frequency, so high I didn't notice it at normal use. And I am sensitive for PWM and usually very soon notice if a light has PWM.

This light has 3 modes, but there are no stated lumen numbers, just 5, 30 and 100%.
Reverse clicky feels odd for such a tactical-like light. It has last mode memory but with a strange function: if you put on the light for ~2sec(hard to measure exactly) or more and turn it off it will start at the same mode next time you turn it on. But if you turn it on just for a moment, or second, it will turn on at the next level next time you turn it on(undependent of if it's 5sec or 5min). The time between turn off and turn on doesn't matter.

I have not measured any runtimes but measured the brightness levels with ceiling bounce. According to the experience of many other flashlights I can state that the approximate brightness levels of this light are 40, 240 and 800 lumen. This very good is in line to the stated percentual difference of the modes. Battery used for this test is EagleTac 18650 3100mAh.

My personal conclusion:

Pros:

*Price level
*Good grip
*Anti-roll function
*Well spaced brightness levels
*Smooth beam without artifacts
*Tailstandable

Cons:

*Reverse clicky
*Strange memory function
*Pretty bright light ring far outside the spill edge
*PWM(though this is questionable because of the high frequency)

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info and time :),i bought one a while back and was impressed myself with the build/quality for the money.I found on mine that my protected cells would not fit

Unprotected

So no issue being a single cell light anyway

Although looks dark in other pics its grey

Love the colour of your f8:D

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ven for your comment and pictures! :)

I tried with another protected 18650, a Redilast 3100, and it also fit in my F8, so it seems that Convoy made a slight change of the size of the light.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Its a wolf,not a puppy :laughing:

Its built like a tank

The walls are thick,compared to many lights be it a good thing or bad.But it does give confidence in the build for me..........

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks ven for your comment and pictures! :)

I tried with another protected 18650, a Redilast 3100, and it also fit in my F8, so it seems that Convoy made a slight change of the size of the light.

I have noticed that some shops offer different modes,more so with convoy but FT offer the 3 mode iirc (on convoys).My m2 for example has 2 groups,on low after 5 seconds you get a blink,1/2 press at that time and it changes group from either 5%/50%/100% or 5%/50%/100% strobe /sos

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have noticed that some shops offer different modes,more so with convoy but FT offer the 3 mode iirc (on convoys).My m2 for example has 2 groups,on low after 5 seconds you get a blink,1/2 press at that time and it changes group from either 5%/50%/100% or 5%/50%/100% strobe /sos

Ok, interesting. And: you are right about the construction: it's robust built!

radu1976

Enlightened
Isn't this CONVOY/ROCHE F8 a SHADOW VG-10 actually ?
I have bought the SHADOW VG-10 a while ago and they are very very similar.
CONVOY added the integrated ciggar grip and it has a more yellowish colour. My SHADOW anodization is somehow neutral.
I am tempted to buy the ROCHE F8 also ... my VG-10 has a neutral-white XM-L, also 3 modes : 5%-30%-100%.
Those must be built in the same factory.
Taicap - interior - looks identical, even the thick red o-rings are the same, reflector is the same depth and texture, cooling fins are very similar.

Same noise PWM in low-mid mode but quiet on HIGH.
My SHADOW VG-10 does take the green protected 3,100 PANASONIC batteries as well as NITECORE or AW18650 :))

Last edited: