Convoy S2+ question

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Convoy C8 XP-L HI V2 A which i like very well but wanted more flood . So I bought the S2+ T6-4C. Nice light but I don't like the amber color, plus it gets hot. I like the bright white of the C8, would like that in the s2+. The are so many options I don't understand what they all mean. Mountain Man has XM-L2 U2 1A, says cool white. Would this be more like the C8 I have? Or ordering from Gearbest has lots of options.
Would a different tint make it not get so hot?
Any help is appreciated.

ven

Flashaholic
Would aim around 5000k to 5500k, over 6000k they can have a blue kind of tint(if its an issue that is). Bare in mind, anything 400lm or above is going to get the small s2+ warm pretty quick. Your only help with a heat is a larger host to help dissipate it better. 4c is quite warm to my eyes(have it in an m2 which is another nice host).

Not sure now without googling, but 1a is around 6500-7000k iirc that is(cool white as you say).

The brightness goes off the actual bins, like U2 and U3 for an example. The U3 bin is a little brighter than the U2 bin.............if your eyes can tell that is and all things considered equal(host/driver etc).

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ven is correct. You might try a 3 something light at 5000k as that is a pretty white light. Also keep in mind that your tiny preferences will change throughout the day and next other light sources. Put that 4C in the company of an incan and you will be suprised how blue the light is.

If you want to loosely map cree tints to color temperature it might look like this

1X-6500k
2X-5700k
3X-5000k
4X-4500k
5X-4000k
7X-3000k
8X-2700k

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes i find cooler (well 5000k which is kind of a cool side of neutral to my eyes) for day/evening type uses. Night time i like 4000k-5000k, little on the warmer side for that easy/less eye strain use. I can get by with cooler temps, my eyes do adjust and get used to it , but colours can be pail in comparison.

Save the 4c for night time or tired eye uses, you will be pleased once adjusted to it and got used to it(coming from a cool dude).

I do wonder where we live, what types of light temps we get used to and the subjects the flashlights are used on etc. How and if this actually plays a part in our personal preferences. Does someone in the city prefer cooler, to someone in the country liking warmer for the greens/browns etc and visa versa.

Poppy

Flashaholic
THIS THREAD has a number of good images that are tagged with different tint emitters.

I didn't have the patience to read through all the tables... they may be full of good info.

In short, you mentioned that the S2 gets hot quickly. You probably have it driven at 2.8 amps to get maximum brightness/lumens out of it.

I get my S2+ driven at 1400ma 4* 7135 chips, and might consider 2100ma 6* 7135 chips.

2800ma 8* 7135 chips does get hot quicker, and gives a shorter runtime, without too much benefit regarding additional lumens. If I want to see farther, I'll grab the C8.

Considering that I'll use the S2+ for closer viewing, I prefer a NW tint, more than a CW tint. But I agree, I don't care as much for the 4C as I do the 3B.

The last Convoy S2+ I bought:
Convoy S2+ 1*Cree XM-L2 T6-3B 582LM AMC7135*4 1400ma

------------------------------------

Reagrding your C8, I imagine that you have a smooth reflector. You might try to locate a semi-orange peel reflector in it. That'll cause it to throw a little less, but give you more light into the spill.

Fortunately Convoys are inexpensive enough, that even a mistake is not too costly a mistake. :)

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
Yes i find cooler (well 5000k which is kind of a cool side of neutral to my eyes) for day/evening type uses. Night time i like 4000k-5000k, little on the warmer side for that easy/less eye strain use. I can get by with cooler temps, my eyes do adjust and get used to it , but colours can be pail in comparison.

Save the 4c for night time or tired eye uses, you will be pleased once adjusted to it and got used to it(coming from a cool dude).

I do wonder where we live, what types of light temps we get used to and the subjects the flashlights are used on etc. How and if this actually plays a part in our personal preferences. Does someone in the city prefer cooler, to someone in the country liking warmer for the greens/browns etc and visa versa.

I like the C8 for when I'm out at night to light up the few acres I have, I just wish it had more flood. It has this in it, XP-L HI V2 A. What range is that in? How would the XM-L2 U2 1A compare to that?

ven

Flashaholic
The xml2 will not be as throwy, more brightness in the spill though. The xpl HI has a flat dome(next best thing to a de-dome , but without the usual tint shift you can get...............usually towards green).

If you can handle a larger light, check out convoy's L6. Has the xhp70 inside, this kicks out more throw than the c8 due to size/ouput and will also flood a lot more. Eats 2x 26650 food, so a jump up in size...........jump up in performance too. Bang for buck, the L6 has to be in the top..............OK the best value out of the box, high output light today.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
ansiwhite.jpg

tops2

Enlightened
Think as others mentioned, if you want it less hot, probably look at ones with the less chips like 4* 7135 chips or 6* 7135 chips.
Tint is mostly preference.

In terms of more flood, how much more do you want? And do you want it in something about the same size as your Convoy C8?

Recently I was debating between getting the Convoy C8 (because there's a new version with new firmware) and ran across the Eagle Eye X6. I ended up buying the Eagle Eye X6 because its physically smaller, supposed to have a bit more spill, and its reflector is supposed to be designed for the XPL HI V2. It sounds like the C8's reflector is not designed for the HI, but just just stuck the HI led into that light.

I don't have a C8 so I can't directly compare the spill.. The X6 is plenty bright to me, and throws further than I expected. It can really light up about 2 kids baseball fields away with pretty good spill. I don't have a place close to home with even longer distance for me to test so I think the amount of throw is more than I "need". The spill is pretty decent, especially at the higher levels. But this results in a very intense and small hotspot (at close distance).

Poppy

Flashaholic
The xml2 will not be as throwy, more brightness in the spill though. The xpl HI has a flat dome(next best thing to a de-dome , but without the usual tint shift you can get...............usually towards green).

If you can handle a larger light, check out convoy's L6. Has the xhp70 inside, this kicks out more throw than the c8 due to size/ouput and will also flood a lot more. Eats 2x 26650 food, so a jump up in size...........jump up in performance too. Bang for buck, the L6 has to be in the top..............OK the best value out of the box, high output light today.
I
I didn't know that you wanted to light up a few acres.

With that bit of knowledge, I second ven's recommendation of the Convoy L6.
Here's a L6 video review by our friend Mark Hanlen.

nightowl66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the replies. I ended ordering a couple of s2+'s with 6 chips instead of 8 like the one I have now and different tints since they are inexpensive and see how I like them. The one I have now with the T6 4C does a good job for what I want, just want a different tint.