Convoy S21E Review

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Following up on my re-introduction post here, my next review is now posted up on my flashlightreviews.ca site:

Convoy S21E

As I discuss in that review, I previously stayed away from so-called "budget" lights. But I can see a few things have changed in the time I was away, and I thought it was a good idea to start with a new baseline of a popular budget model.

I went for all three emitter classes in this model, so I can directly compare performance (and have more than one sample to evaluate). I hope you find it useful - I certainly found the results interesting.

Here's a teaser runtime:
S21E-Max_rmh2WKtwSaYcTXCwe1jjBD.gif

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Most interesting and notable for the value of those flashlights.
Yes, I was very impressed, especially for the price.

Of course, there were some issues with batch variability for a couple of components - but the only potentially significant one was resolved (confirmed on a more recent sample I've handled). Clearly Convoy has a commitment to their brand.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
What caused Sofrin to tinker out so quickly compared to all the others?
I expect it is the multiple lower output emitters being driven to that level. But we'll see how it goes when I complete the testing on that one. :au:
wonderful review as always...
Thanks!
Great job. Glad to have you back!
Thanks, and good to see you are still here.
intl-outdoors.com
I'm certainly open to trying out new makers and models (and so, appreciate the suggestions). I have a bunch of samples on hand, we'll see how these go and take it from there.

Rob420

Newly Enlightened
I was considering the Convoy S21E for a while. Your review pushed me over the top. I just ordered one from Simon. You are not easy to please in relation to flashlight details. The fact that you speak so positively about this 'budget' brand says a lot. I've read many of your older reviews. Respect your emphasis on measurements & factual comparisons rather than subjective preferences. Glad you've come back to guide us again. Cheers.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Very straightforward and easy to read and understand review, thank you. (y)

I have been looking at the Convoy S21E in orange as a replacement light for permanently keeping in the car. And the 40 % / ~550 Lumen output is exactly what I need. Tint and beam colour is pretty much irrelevant for this use, so even if the S21E is "built to a cost" with beam variations as a result, it doesn't matter for my usecase.

Currently have a "gen. 1" Streamlight Polytac, 275 Lumen (I think) with a single 16650 cell, and I would like something a bit more powerful and with better runtime. Been looking at a few other Convoy models as well, but after this review, my mind was rather made up, and I think I'll get a couple S21E's.