Cool new 2009 Energizer 1AA Trailfinder Micro

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
No neither could I you got yourself a bargain, FYI that 1AA cell light received an Australian design award this year, some of it's features being touted as 'revolutionary' have been pretty standard fare for enthusiast standard flashlights for some time, just Energizer posturing I guess! :p

R@ndom

Enlightened
No neither could I you got yourself a bargain, FYI that 1AA cell light received an Australian design award this year, some of it's features being touted as 'revolutionary' have been pretty standard fare for enthusiast standard flashlights for some time, just Energizer posturing I guess! :p

Is it available at Aussie costco? Woolworths might have it later as they had the 2aa version of above light.

Revolutionary my butt, an iq switch with about as much efficency as a 1969 LC Torana :whistle: and a cree. :tired:

But a cheap light bright headlamp is always great.

nsx

Newly Enlightened
I hope no one minds, but I took some photos and decided to share them here. I'm going to post a few beam shots of the handheld on the other thread too.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it available at Aussie costco?

Dunno' but at $60 p.a. I'm not about to go and look :grin2:

Revolutionary my butt, an iq switch with about as much efficency as a 1969 LC Torana :whistle: and a cree. :tired:

Hey... I'm quite fond of the old GTR XU1s & Crees too for that matter! (now lets talk about the HB Toranas) :nana:

BTW nice pictures nsx! thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Last edited:

DaveG

Enlightened
Target is starting to carry the headlight also,looked at it today $29.99 just for the headlight.The Costco combo looks better and better.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked a pack up tonight at Costco for $36. I'd sure like to know which Costcos are selling these packs for $30, as some have noted. Anyway, I hadn't particular need of the flashlight, so was initially happy to find two packages which a "customer" had taken advantage of the five-fingered discount on the flashlight only. I hoped Costco might cut a deal on the remaining headlamps, since those are what I wanted anyway, but they would not/could not do it since it was a theft item. I haven't convinced myself to open the package yet, because the first thing that struck me when looking at the headlamp through the package was that it appeared it might be pretty uncomfortable on my big forehead. The "winglets" on each side of the part that contacts the forehead create an overall curvature which I am certain has much smaller radius than my forehead. It looks like it could be quite painful, or at least leave severe marks on my forehead after a while. Has anybody found this headlamp to be uncomfortable after an hour of wearing it?

Last edited:

nsx

Newly Enlightened
No, I found it the fit to be pretty comfortable after extended use, and I'm wasn't a headlamp fan at all before getting these lights (I was more interested in the handheld, but the headlight has really grown on me).

Go ahead and open it, then try it for yourself. You can easily take it back to Costco if you don't like it.

Also, I'd be surprised if any Costco is selling these for $30. I'm guessing somebody forgot the actual price and mentally rounded down when making their post.

Last edited:

Snow

Enlightened
Just picked up the headlamp at Target for $30. Now I'm thinking I should get the Costco combo pack as well...

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just picked one up at Target for 29.95. They must have just come in because they did not have them a couple days ago.

Initial impressions are very good. I really like the configuration with the 1AA in the back. The headlamp feels light and well balanced. I also like the fact that it uses only 1 AA as opposed to 3 AAA's. Battery capacity should be very close but the 1AA format has many benifits IMO. A 4 pack of lithium AA's is the same price as a 4 pack of AAA's. You get much more battery for you money with AA's. Also carrying a spare AA cell is a lot easier than 3 spare AAA's. Keeping 1 charged AA is also a lot less complicated than having a matched set of 3 charged AAA's ready to go.

I think it is a very good light for the money and pretty cool as well. It makes a great general purpose headlamp. Output seems to be very accurate and is nice. It is brighter than my 45 lumens Princton Tech Fuel that I just purchased. The Fuel is very small but the Energizer feels beeter balanced when worn. Energizer did a good job with this light IMO and I like it for the price.

damn_hammer

Enlightened
Just picket the light up at Target for $20 for an upcoming campin trip. Pretty sure it was mis-marked. Anyone know if this light plays well with a 14500? I was going to pick up the combination pack at Costco, but I don't have a membership and you have to get a $50 membership to buy a thing, according to their CS :(

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
I got the Costco pack tonight with the intention of modding the red LEDs to white. If anyone else has this idea, couple pointers:

The red LEDs are 3mm, not 5mm. The back does screw off. You will have to swap the inductor for the red's. Oh, and much of the board (including the Cree star) has potted connections, so have fun with that...

But overall, nice light for the price. Beam is rather floody, and it uses both a small reflector along with a TIR to produce it.

I would call it spashproof, but it would not do well in total submersion.

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Revolutionary my butt, an iq switch with about as much efficency as a 1969 LC Torana :whistle:

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Measured at the tail cap with a charged Eneloop:

High: 900 mA
Low: 100 mA
Red: 170 mA

That means I can read 18 hours on low on a single AA cell. How much higher efficiency is expected?

Anyway, here are my observations and opinions about this headlamp so far.

What I like:

A reasonably low low at only 100 mA draw means 18 honest hours on a single AA cell.

Low is good for reading a book, but see "Don't Likes." The ROV 1AA with diffuser is better for reading, but that's 2 hours vs. 18 hours battery life!

The red LED turns off when the Cree turns on, and vice versa. Not cutting edge, but I am surprised at how many other multi-LED headlamps don't do this.

Side "wires" visible are not actually the wires, but a fairly sturdy plastic sleeve protecting the (further insulated) wires inside. But again, see the "Don't Likes."

What I Don't Like ... and nit-picks.

The actual wires coming into each side of the LED housing near the hinges are quite a small gauge, and when the head is aimed down a lot, it really does look like they are being pulled, stretched and strained. Maybe a weak spot in the future.

Low good for reading, but for reading in bed with head on a pillow, that battery carrier on the back gets in the way. You have to sort of slide the battery carrier way up the back of your head. The stubble on my close-shaved noodle allows this (stubble = velcro), but if you have more hair, it may not stay, and just slip up too far. (As my dad might have said: "That's the price you pay for being a damned hippie!)

Red LED beam pattern is not smooth. The lens introduces an artifact "waffle" pattern. Certainly not as objectionable as some I have seen, but I have seen much better also.

The Cree beam has a noticeable uneveness and slightly diminished output near the center, but it's only really objectionable on a white wall. This beam is not butttery-smooth, like the PT EOS Rebel headlamp. I would prefer a bit more spill, with a more gradual transition, but that's personal taste.

I find the PWM dimming on low to be moderately intrusive when reading. YMMV, depending on your sensitivity to PWM. The period of the pulse width is in direct proportion to the brightness setting, and quickly becomes much less noticeable by raising the brightness a little.

The "winglets" on each side of the head cut into my forehead like a can opener after a half hour use. The positive flip-side to this is that the headband needn't be tightened to boa constrictor torques to keep the headlamp in place, due to the good fore-to-aft balance. The Energizer beats the PT EOS in this respect.

When the head is aimed downward, there is a bit of light leakage refracted from the clear parts of the case down into my eyes. (The ROV 1AA had the same problem, but worse.) Moving the headlamp up to the top of the forehead helps, but I opted to paint the offending plastic parts with black lacquer paint, as I did my ROV.

The included flashlight in the Costco combo packs is OK. The package states the same 6% - 100% range for both headlamp and flashlight, with nearly identical lumens, and I would assume both being 1AA that they would use the same circuitry. But on it's lowest setting, the flashlight's PWM is a much higher frequenscy than the headlamp, as compared by waving the hand in front of it. Go figure. The recessed switch means a very solid tail-stand for ceiling bounce. Again, I would prefer a bit more floody spill at the expense of throw.

That's about all I can think of. Nothing of the two pieces jumps out at me as being exceptional. I feel Costco's combo price of $36 for the pair is worth it, but only just. I would not pay $30 for just the headlamp or the flashlight separately, though. However, the value I've given to these may be influenced by the fact that I have way too many flashlights and headlamps already. If you are new to this or don't have a decent headlamp or flashlight, this becomes a very good value. If they'd had headlamps and flashlights with this performance, available at these prices when I got into this, I wouldn't have a drawer full of lesser lights just sitting!

Last edited:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
My current readings are similar to Turbo's. Put in a lithium E2 and runtime could be around 25 hours!

I found placing a piece of translucent tape over the optic transforms the beam into a nice diffused all flood. It reminds me of a frosted optic or a Petzl with the diffuser on. Its nice to know it can be opened up and modded if one wants. This is a nice little headlight at a nice price.

El_Canyon

Newly Enlightened
Great comments by Turbo, mirrors a lot of my observations that I was too lazy to write up! I too noticed that while the wire entries at the battery compartment are stout, they seem a little strained at the emitter compartment. There seems to be plenty of slack to be had, though, in the curled up wire on the sides. Good idea about the lacquer paint, I noticed some light spill down into my eyes.

Regarding the price, keep in mind that the Costco package includes two lithium AA cells; that's worth $5 right there. I haven't seen the headlamp-only package yet, does it include the AA lithiums too?

JB5

Newly Enlightened
My wife gave me the costco combo the night before my trip to yosemite earlier this week, I brought those and my zebra light. My observation is that for around camp and in the tent the zebra is the way to go but walking through the camp ground to the the bathroom I liked the energizer headlight. Floody but more focused than the zebra so I didnt disturb any other campers. I don't have the knowlege or collection as most of you but for your average person I think this is a great combo and a very reasonable price. I thought the flashlight was ok as well, not the brightest I own but enought throw to meet my expectations around a camp enviornment.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got one at Target today.

Slowest and most noticeable PWM of any light I've ever seen. I'd guess arround 50hz, since it is much worse than some know 100hz lights.

Lots of rings and artifacts. Limited ajustablility in the headstrap.

Not a keeper.

Last edited:

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bummed to hear that about the PWM. It starts on high, has the wires to the back, battery case in back (for 1AA? c'mon guys) getting in the way, now bad PWM? I was very excited about this HL 6 months ago. Now - zero excitement. Someday somebody will make a good general use HL. The Zebralights are the closest, but need a more concentrated beam option.

I've given up on this one and I'm UNsubscribing from this thread.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've been looking for a headlamp for some time - going camping this fall (in my case - as a true beginner - perhaps learning to camp would be more accurate) and I've gotten the message that a headlamp is essential. I'm trying - hard to do but trying - to consolidate to AA and CR123 based lights in general. This goes for camping as well.

I saw this headlamp at Target today and it sure looked promising. The combo pack is a decent deal but I really don't have a use for the AA light - other than to give it to my son perhaps. Anywho - after reading the impressions here I'm waffling a bit. I like the AA obviously, and the relatively low low plus red LEDs. For my purposes it seems like a decent choice - but the UI sort of bothers me as it always starts at 100%. If I have night adjusted eyes I really want to start it at low if I've ramped it down - I don't need a blast of 100% while I get it where I want it and I don't want to have to leave it on to preserve the lower level.

The Zebralight seems to be the "gold" standard of headlamps and general utility camping lights around here (although there are other makeers- PT and Petzl and Black Diamond - the three well chosen levels and versatility of the zebralight is compelling). But they aren't cheap - not crazy expensive but there are more cost effective options from the other named sources.

So I'm back at the drawing board it seems...

Latest posts