cordless drill or saw voltage

D

divxdude

Newly Enlightened
theres no semis or ICs inside these right?
If i mod a 12v pack to a 9.6v makita
should just give it a turbocharge power boost right..? oh.oh oh

Last edited:
H

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: cordless drill saw voltage

I am guessing that there are some kind of ICs which do the variable speed control of the drill. Also, just guessing that an increase in voltage will also increase amperage, which may run the motors a bit hard.

If you are talking about the flashlight, then I think it is an incan, so it is just a bulb burn out rate question. I will leave that question to the incan guys.

W

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Every cordless drill I have taken apart (only three or four but ranging from cheap crap form the early 90's to somewhat more expensive from the 00's) use PWM regulation. Just a side note, they all looked the same inside, weather branded "Black and Decker" or just "Mode in China".

Your mod should work fine. Your 9.6 V motor won't be able to run continous at full load without overheating but as long as you use it wise, it should be a fun mod.

H

Handlobraesing

Banned

Make sure you don't cause it to exceed the RPM rating of the blade, which could be dangerous.

J

jayb79

Newly Enlightened

I have a sears Professional 9.6v drill and i am using the batteries from a 12v drill and have never had any problems. I also later bought the same drill in the 12v version and it turns out the drills are identical. The only difference is that the rpm specs are a couple of hundred higher for the 12v.
I would like to build a li-po pack for my 18v cordless, but the charger would also have to be modded.

D

divxdude

Newly Enlightened
thanks for replys

Last edited: