Cordless power tools

My newest acquisition -

IMG_3473.jpeg

The windows were recently updated and the window sills width needed to be reduced.

Beckler

Enlightened
Makita LED location
Just got a Makita 18V subcompact drill but like all Makita cordless drills it has the LED just above the trigger. This is ridiculous because unless you're using a very long bit (which is less likely with a tiny drill like this), the tip of the bit is in the shadow of the chuck. It's JUST in it too which is extra irritating. How can they not notice this - what the hell is the point of an LED if it doesn't even light up where you're drilling! The question is how annoying is this after using it a while? Because I'm tempted to return it. Dewalt has the LED down near the battery which is the only practical solution.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Last week we had a massive snow storm, as difficult as I can remember.

Just yesterday finished my snowblowing to sort out my driveway. It's been a nightmare.
My garage and house have north facing drains & is uphill in every direction. Ice formation is a significant problem for me every year.

This morning at 6:45am I hear rain on my roof vent,,, I did nothing but put my clothes on and raced up to my garage knowing flooding was eminent...Yesterday ice was already forming so I knew it may be bad. <Ice makes more ice>

With me I brought a cordless drill with a long bit & a ice chipper. Yesterday I put a metal marker where my drain is so I could see it...
When I got up to my garage, drain was iced over & flooding!!
4~5 inches of flooding already happened and the the water melt/runoff was massive.

I used my drill to open up my drain to let the water flow,, If I hadn't had the drill, options would have been limited & disastrous.

Saved by a cordless drill with a long bit.

add: forgot to mention,
ice has been forming on the trees & a number of limbs have come down already, wind is forecasted to increase alot today.
..not sure how else to put it.

Last edited:
+

Last week we had a massive snow storm, as difficult as I can remember.

Just yesterday finished my snowblowing to sort out my driveway. It's been a nightmare.
My garage and house have north facing drains & is uphill in every direction. Ice formation is a significant problem for me every year.

This morning at 6:45am I hear rain on my roof vent,,, I did nothing but put my clothes on and raced up to my garage knowing flooding was eminent...Yesterday ice was already forming so I knew it may be bad. <Ice makes more ice>

With me I brought a cordless drill with a long bit & a ice chipper. Yesterday I put a metal marker where my drain is so I could see it...
When I got up to my garage, drain was iced over & flooding!!
4~5 inches of flooding already happened and the the water melt/runoff was massive.

I used my drill to open up my drain to let the water flow,, If I hadn't had the drill, options would have been limited & disastrous.

add: forgot to mention,
ice has been forming on the trees & a number of limbs have come down already, wind is forecasted to increase alot today.
..not sure how else to put it.
I'm sorry to read your weather report, orbital. Freezing rain is the worst, as far as I'm concerned.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is a yearly problem, would it be worth investing in some electrical heat tape?
+

Hi Poppy, the only real fix is trying diligently not letting the ice start forming in the frist place.
Far easier said than done, but the only realistic approach for my situation.

You can't beat mother nature, best work with it.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
the only real fix is trying diligently not letting the ice start forming in the frist place.
That's why he suggested the heat tape and it's one of the ways that people prevent the kind of situation you just described. His idea was spot on and he's just trying to save you some difficulty in the future.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My garage and house have north facing drains & is uphill in every direction.
<snip>

If it's uphill in every direction, where does the runoff go?

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's uphill in every direction, where does the runoff go?
+

Factoring my garage as a direction, although it clearly isn't.
it shades the drain encouraging ice & blocks water from going anywhere but in it, if the drain is frozen over,,
or clogged with tree debris in the warmer months.

Several years back an oldtimer friend suggested something like this:

hesitant putting a high watt electrical device in water unattended,, I'm just not ok with it.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Maybe I should invent a 38V heat pipe plugged directly into my solar panels to melt my ice dams during the day.

or

when my insurance company tells me to reinstall a new 'roof' I'll just install grey metal roof for that area that's an issue.
Then impossible for water to back up.

****Using cordless tools for install either way!! :clap:

Poppy

Flashaholic
3M makes a product they call water shield. IIRC it is a 3 foot wide roll, that is sticky on one side. You use it as an underlayer along the eaves. By code, I think it is supposed to extend at least 2 feet above the wall line. When I did my roof, I needed to use two layers of it, because I had a 2 foot overhang of the eaves.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
3M makes a product they call water shield. IIRC it is a 3 foot wide roll, that is sticky on one side. You use it as an underlayer along the eaves. By code, I think it is supposed to extend at least 2 feet above the wall line. When I did my roof, I needed to use two rows of it, because I had a 2 foot overhang of the eaves.
You never need more than one layer, but sometimes more than one course. Some people go full overkill and do the whole roof with it, but double course at the most is generally all that's needed. Ice and water shield has been around for a pretty long time now and is a big help in stopping ice dam caused water incursion.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I thought about someone saying bilge or sump pump.
They are not subjected to the same corrosive salts, massive temperature swings, or freezing in place, creating a giant hassle if power loss.
..or a short and someone walks in it.
Stringing an extension cord to the front of my garage in winter for a 500W heating element in a drain is just not for me.

If I can keep the snow almost entirely clear, ice has a much harder time starting from the inevitable melt/runoff.

add: my garage is about 25 yards away, uphill from the house..only the back of it is visible from the house

Last edited:
+

I thought about someone saying bilge or sump pump.
They are not subjected to the same corrosive salts, massive temperature swings, or freezing in place, creating a giant hassle if power loss.
..or a short and someone walks in it.
Stringing an extension cord to the front of my garage in winter for a 500W heating element in a drain is just not for me.

If I can keep the snow almost entirely clear, ice has a much harder time starting from the inevitable melt/runoff.

add: my garage is about 25 yards away, uphill from the house..only the back of it is visible from the house

It wasn't a suggestion for your issue. I've been using a submersible electric device for over three decades sans issue.

BTW, That's a cool avatar, but I miss the previous one.