Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
Also, a lot of people can make choices that keep them out of the path of the virus if they want to. Health care workers don't have that luxury. Thus the reason it makes sense to give them first dibs on a vaccine.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Odds are you won't die from Covid 19
You re right. Most infected people will not die from covid.
OTOH, if you are fat, old, and diabetic and you get covid, you are more likely to die. Yet young people DO die from covid, even without predisposing co-morbidities. They are the outliers though.

Reduce how much? Does it reduce it enough to not distance properly like most folks wearing masks I see are doing?
Trading masking for distancing is what I see happening and I think it is a poor trade.

I agree, IMO distancing in the fresh air is more important than masking. IMO without masks, and out in the fresh air, I want a minimum of 10 feet distance.
The experts recommend 6 feet with masks on, when in doors. Personally I do not think they have done enough education regarding the benefits of proper ventilation indoors as well as masking and distance.

Often I have to refrain from making the comment that people are stupid! If the experts say wear a mask and keep six feet apart, they should wear a mask and stay six feet apart!
If you tell people that they don't have to wear a mask, but they have to stay 10-12 feet apart outdoors, and 15-20 feet apart indoors, will they do it?
You KNOW that they won't.

I don't buy this myself if they have such a lower incidence of infection then why are they the ones who get the vaccine FIRST?
Apparently there must be some hogwash here.

Again.... hospitals have the best masks.... most of the public has the worst...... hospitals have the best air handling equipment... most of the public doesn't.... hospital workers supposedly are at lower risk...... why do they need the vaccine first?

IMO these statements and questions are made simply to promote argument.
Trolling...

turbodog

Flashaholic
I see what you are saying about hospital workers having the 'best' equipment. But you are not thinking it through thoroughly.

Hospital workers around here have the same surgical mask that the general public has. But even if they have full face n100 respirators... they don't live at the hospital. They have families that can infect them. They go to the grocery store/etc. Also, not all healthcare workers (in fact the bulk of them) work at the hospital. Tons of them are at local clinics, standalone labs, specialty clinics, etc.

And finally... healthcare workers have seen their own kind struggling to stay infection-free, motivated, sane, etc while the vast majority of the general public seems to not give a crap. And others think they're getting the vaccine first? :hahaha:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Also talking about vaccines. Hospital that I mentioned a while back... nothing ever turned up. However, I saw the email this evening (they come twice a day) from the CEO saying that delivery is Dec 18th, assuming FDA approval on 11th.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Medical system my wife works for sent out a mass email asking the providers (doctors, NP, PA) what other experience they had and where they would be willing to transfer due to lack of staffing. This is the same medical system that laid people off early on due to loss of money because of the pandemic since elective surgeries were stopped and regular doctor visits had slowed down. Good decision making there. They just purchased 3 mobile morgues for some of the hospitals due to the infection rate being so high right now.

Sadly almost all of the cases in my little area are from the nursing homes. If you all remember me posting months ago when my neighboring county got its first reported case well, come to find out that lady did travel care to all the nursing homes in this area. [emoji17] months later it's taken it's toll.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thinking that masking, distancing when possible, high rate air refresh, or incantations can totally prevent spread of this obviously highly contagious disease is a mistake from these eyes. After health care workers get the vaccine, public safety workers should be next you ask me. If medical workers are sick or dead, health care suffers. Should folks get disregulated significantly, we will need law enforcement to help maintain civility. Hospitals in Albuquerque allow infected asymptomatic health workers to treat active COVID patients (reported on broadcast TV). Things are tight here with medical care, letting the public know that doctors may soon have to 'ration' care for lack of human resources.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Vaccines arrived today. Not very many, slightly less than enough to treat 1k people, which is 2 doses per person. These are in a 5 dose vial. And the attorneys do NOT have the waiver written yet so even if/when FDA final approval comes through they can't be given out yet. :banghead:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im.old im waiting to everyone else gets there vacine before i get mine ill be 50 soon . so i had a long life

Poppy

Flashaholic
Raggie,
LOL you don't have to worry about being chivalrous, you are still young enough that you'll be at the end of the line when it comes to having access to a vaccine.

The CDC set 65 years old as the defining age for earlier qualification, and they won't likely get it until the middle of February, or early March.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Raggie,
LOL you don't have to worry about being chivalrous, you are still young enough that you'll be at the end of the line when it comes to having access to a vaccine.

The CDC set 65 years old as the defining age for earlier qualification, and they won't likely get it until the middle of February, or early March.

dang thats a long time. ps the horror films that scare me the most are outbreaks if disease

Poppy

Flashaholic
In NJ, we'll get 76,000 doses (vaccination for 38,000 people) in the initial distribution of the vaccine.

The NJ Department of Health Commissioner Judy Persichilli said six "prepositioned hospitals" — AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, Cooper University Hospital in Camden, Hackensack University Medical Center, Morristown Medical Center, University Hospital in Newark, and Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick — will receive the first 76,050 doses.

The first people to receive the vaccinations will be health care workers who have direct or indirect exposure to the virus, she said.

NJ has 650,000 people who are eligible for the earliest doses.
That means that only 5.8 % of those people will get vaccinated initially.

Assuming that the moderna vaccine also gets approved, that will bring more vaccine doses to the table. I have not seen projections of an initial output, nor their predicted rate of production. Nor how that will affect the timeline for everyone to receive a vaccine.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Raggie,

I'm wondering if being younger than that, but living with someone older, might move you further up in the line. I'm 58 but my mom is nearly 82. I'll be happy though if at least she can get vaccinated within a month or two.

I may have had it back in March but no way to know without an antibody test. The virus was spreading like wildfire in NYC back then, but nobody was wearing masks. I felt nauseous, and ran a 100 degree fever for a few days about 5 days after I went to the store. It passed after that. Could have been something else of course.

Poppy

Flashaholic
jtr1962,
Antibody testing is available.
If you have insurance, it may not cost you anything.
I have Medicare with a Horizon Blue Cross wraparound. I usually have a $20 co-pay, but for anything covid related Horizon will drop the co-pay.

My daughter ran a low grade fever for three months. The experts expected covid, because all the other tests were fine. Three types of covid tests all came back negative too. 2x nasal, 2x spit, 1x antibody. This was March through June, when testing was a little sparse. Eventually I got antibody tested, thinking that living with her I was probably exposed, and if I had antibodies that might confirm her as being in the least exposed. My test was negative.

Regarding getting bounced up in line a little bit because of living with your quite senior mom, you might email your Governor with that question. If he hadn't considered that scenario, if you write him, maybe he will.

Among the first groups to be vaccinated are caregivers in long term facilities.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Vaccines arrived today. Not very many, slightly less than enough to treat 1k people, which is 2 doses per person. These are in a 5 dose vial. And the attorneys do NOT have the waiver written yet so even if/when FDA final approval comes through they can't be given out yet. :banghead:
Oh man, I feel your frustration.
Once when I was going through litigation, I gave it to an attorney friend of mine and said... stall this. "If lawyers can do anything, they can delay stuff." We both laughed, and both knew that I spoke the truth.

I hope that your initial allotment was not for the whole state, but just one hospital.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
jtr1962,
Antibody testing is available.
If you have insurance, it may not cost you anything.
I have Medicare with a Horizon Blue Cross wraparound. I usually have a $20 co-pay, but for anything covid related Horizon will drop the co-pay.

My daughter ran a low grade fever for three months. The experts expected covid, because all the other tests were fine. Three types of covid tests all came back negative too. 2x nasal, 2x spit, 1x antibody. This was March through June, when testing was a little sparse. Eventually I got antibody tested, thinking that living with her I was probably exposed, and if I had antibodies that might confirm her as being in the least exposed. My test was negative.

Regarding getting bounced up in line a little bit because of living with your quite senior mom, you might email your Governor with that question. If he hadn't considered that scenario, if you write him, maybe he will.

Among the first groups to be vaccinated are caregivers in long term facilities.
Unfortunately I don't have insurance but maybe one of the free covid testing centers in the city is offering antibody testing. I'll have to check. It's not really terribly important right now, more just a matter of morbid curiosity to see if I did in fact have it.

That's a good idea to contact Cuomo. He may not have even thought of situations where younger people are caretakers for elderly parents and should be moved up a bit in terms of priority.

That story about your daughter is really, really interesting. You said this was from March through June. It may not have been covid but this sounds an awful lot like what happened to me last fall. In the early fall, October I think, I came down with something awful. First it started out as nausea and black, tarry stools. Then the fever started, which was in the range of 100 to 102 for at least a few weeks. At its worst I couldn't even stand up for more than 30 seconds. It took me two hours to get my mom out of bed, into the bathroom, and give her breakfast. I had to lie down after every little exertion. At the low point I was in bed around 6AM, felt like I had to vomit, went to the bathroom, spit up some blood but no vomit. I leaned over the tub to see if more came out. Not sure exactly what happened after but my head was on the tub and there was quite a bit of blood. I thought at first it came up through my mouth and nose but it was actually from hitting my head on the tub. Must have passed out.

The recovery took a really long time, like until late December before I felt completely normal. Even once I felt well enough to go out again, I had to rest and lean against stuff every 50 or 100 feet. There were leg cramps also. Gradually all these things subsided but it was just awful. The symptoms are similar to what I'm reading that covid long-termers are going through. Could we have had covid in the US even back in October? If not, what the heck was it? Usually with things like the flu, it knocks me out, but within a week I'm almost normal again. Did your daughter have any of the symptoms I did, or just a low-grade fever? Maybe she got whatever I did, but in her case it wasn't as severe but still as long-lasting.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Back in the spring I was near a co-worker who had Covid for a short period of time. I never felt sick but I decided to get an antibody test just for my own peace of mind. I paid around $140 out of pocket for it, with the results coming back in 3-4 days. I tested negative for antibodies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
jtr1962,
Yours sounds more like upper GI issue.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/h-pylori-helicobacter-pylori#1
Ulcers are often caused by a bacterial infection h-pylori

Dark tarry stools... upper GI bleeding.
https://medlineplus.gov/ency/articl... or tarry stools may,way through the GI tract.

I neglected to mention that I had taken sodium naproxen which my brother got me for some very bad pain in my hip and knee. Black, tarry stools are one of the known side effects. However, everything that followed seemed more like a virus of some sort than a bad reaction to sodium naproxen. At the time I was even thinking intestinal virus of some sort. I know I have a bad reaction to almost every drug, which is why I avoid them if I can. I was never on sodium naproxen at all until then. Needless to say I'll never try it again.

scout24

Flashaholic
JTR- Naproxen Sodium (Celebrex or Aleve) is the only medicine that takes away my lower back pain as an anti-inflammatory. I'm sorry it doesn't work for you... We just went back to lockdown here in Pa. due to a rise in cases. No more indoor dining, gyms and salons etc closed, and stores at 50% capacity. This through Jan 4th. I hope our small businesses can hang on, but I fear the worst after the last 9 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.