Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
My politeness restrains me from posting the first few things that came to mind. :rolleyes:
Same here. The only thing I will post is that these people were brainwashed in every sense of the word, insisting their version of reality is real even on their death beds. Really, really sad.

I also wish social media were better at refusing to disseminate any misinformation which is potentially harmful to the health and stability of the nation. That also includes cable networks which should outright refuse to carry these "alternate news" networks. It's one thing to have "Who killed Kennedy?" conspiracy theories, and quite another to continually circulate harmful misinformation in the middle of the greatest public health crisis in over a century. The latter falls into the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" category.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Yes... real 'boots on the ground' info and feeling.

Feel I should point out something. Some of her tweets are referencing South Dakota. A little while back they were patting themselves on the back for beating/avoiding/etc c-19.

I ran their numbers and saw clear exponential spread. At that time I knew they hadn't 'won'. The game had started and they were already losing but did not know it (yet).
Here's what I find particularly shocking. Their death rate is now half of states like NY and NJ but will likely be much higher before this is over. The shocking part is that the very low population density should act as a buffer to the spread. It was understandable that covid-19 took off like wildfire in a densely population city like NY with lots of international travelers but the fact things are this bad in South Dakota underscores how outright awfully they handled the situation. Basically it seems like nobody made any attempt at all to stop the spread.

The hospitals seem at the point of getting overwhelmed. Without supportive care, the mortality rate of this thing is probably in the 5% to 10% range.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They say the Moderno(?) vaccine can be stored in a normal freezer and has a 94.5% effective rate. Not the pfiezer one.

Apparently when you call CVS and get put on hold, during the cheryl crow does sunshine on my shoulder muzac there is also an announcement of a vaccine arriving there soon.

Some pundits are saying this thing will be in the rear view mirror by summer of 021.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the guys I used to work with has a 3 year old with COVID. She can't smell or taste anything and they are having a lot of trouble to get her to eat. My aunt has it as well and she is a substitute teacher. It's hitting this little area of Virginia pretty hard right now. I'd say mask wearing and social distancing is at about 90% compliance.

markr6

Flashaholic
This series of tweets from an ICU nurse is exasperating. There are Covid patients in her ICU, gasping for air, at the same time denying that they can have it because it's a "hoax." What do you say to these people?

She's plastered on every news site, including my podunk page. Is she some kind of quasi-celebrity nurse? There are hundreds of similar stories I'm sure but none up front like this. Just curious since I don't do twitter (neither should some others but I won't go there)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
She's plastered on every news site, including my podunk page. Is she some kind of quasi-celebrity nurse? There are hundreds of similar stories I'm sure but none up front like this. Just curious since I don't do twitter (neither should some others but I won't go there)

I think her story went viral by sheer chance. There are thousands of nurses who have stories just like hers. She just happened to be the one whose story struck a chord with others. It certainly hit me in the feels.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A local community in my area is doing a flu shot campaign saying (paraphrasing) "don't forget your flu shot, because if you have the flu you are more succeptable to Covid-19"……

I thought everybody was succeptable, flu or not.

Your thoughts?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
A local community in my area is doing a flu shot campaign saying (paraphrasing) "don't forget your flu shot, because if you have the flu you are more succeptable to Covid-19"……

I thought everybody was succeptable, flu or not.

Your thoughts?

I've heard some people that have had prior Covid versions are either resistant or immune to C19 but that is unsubstantiated.
Personally I believe some people are immune to Covid 19 but the "experts" are clueless as to how to know who is and isn't.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... The shocking part is that the very low population density should act as a buffer to the spread. It was understandable that covid-19 took off like wildfire in a densely population city like NY with lots of international travelers but the fact things are this bad in South Dakota underscores how outright awfully they handled the situation. ...

Both SD and NY are exponential growth, just at different rates. But in _either_ case, eventually you get to where the graph goes upward in a hurry. It's math... no way around it. I wish I were wrong. It's unnerving how closely actual numbers are tracking to the projections.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not for conjecture or debate. By way of information.

From the Astra Zeneca Covid-19 packaging, this is listed on the front as an ingredient (the only one listed on the front):
ChAd0x1-S (recombinant)

Does anyone know what that is? I am about to go look it up..but I am anticipating medical jargon, looking for Coles notes version.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
From this article on the Oxford/Astra-Zeneca vaccine -

Called AZD1222 or ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, the viral-vector vaccine is made from a weakened version of a common cold virus that causes infections in chimpanzees.

This is different from the mRNA vaccines that use a shard of the virus' RNA guts to train the immune system.

markr6

Flashaholic
The hospital down the street from me is one of 5 in the state to get the initial batch. Hopefully they have enough for just the staff...it's a big place. Lots of assisted living places around too, so it's a start. I'm in no hurry personally but will take it next summer when the supply sounds to be catching up.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
They said on the radio today that Pfeizer is now asking the FDA to ok theirs and that they have 20 million doses ready to go.
In the meantime operation warp speed is supposed to have a military logistics syatem in place to deliver them in a hurry to the initial destinations (like say New York) and be ready to distribute to those sub-destinations like hospitals all lickety split like.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Interesting - thanks Tom.

Ive seen these devices on TV and they operate at a pulsed rate that looks like 5 hz or so, The video above shows it operating as either a continuous wave or it's pulsed at a rate that's much faster than the camera can see. I've also wondered if it's something about the coherent nature of laser light or if an array of red LEDs operating at the same wavelength would have the same effect.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PhotonWrangler,

It seems the healing comes from the near infrared light spectrum of around 850 nm. Red is used for the surface of the skin but near infrared penetrates without heating up the tissue.

There is debate over which is more effective concerning pulsed or continuous wave. Both seem to be beneficial.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts