Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if it's as much bad information as it is incomplete information. They're learning everything as they go so apparent contradictions and reversals are bound to be. Some of what they said initially that they have since changed opinions on isn't necessarily wrong as it's less correct, like the masks. Remember when they said they could put you in more danger initially, some truth there, i never touched my face area as much as when I wear a mask. Adjusting, on/off, etc..... yet the protective nature they offer to others outweighs that now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Dave, do you see "purell" being set out on counters, desks and other table type platforms with public access being a normal sight for the forseeable future?

We already had it all over the place in America but most ignored it pre-pandemic. Now that stuff is gone and replaced with spray bottles of home made concoctions because purell is like liquid gold right now.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bigger chain shops have Purell or similar at their entrances and food stores require masks and gloves to be worn.

Smaller shops ask for gloves and masks but don't provide them, I'm having difficulty getting disposable gloves at the moment, the shelves are empty and signs restricting numbers per customer when they are in stock.

Restaurants are allowed to open their terraces to 30% capacity provided that social distancing is maintained but I've not ventured out to any, I don't think I'll be doing so for the rest of the year.

I think mask will be here for some time together with hand sanitizer. I think disposable gloves will become less popular as the temperature rises here.

There is already talk that when the tourist season opens, at some point in the future, that communal swimming pools in hotels and apartments will not be allowed to be used.

If I recall correctly random testing here has only estimated that 10% of the Spanish population has been exposed to the virus, so herd immunity is not going to be effective anytime soon.

It will be very interesting to see how quickly cases of infection begin to creep up again with the easing, or not.

It's amazing how many people ignore the flu every year knowing how many people it kills. This new kid on the block comes along and people take a long hard look at their hygiene and start using "preventative measures" to keep themselves and others safe. Covid-19 is deadly no doubt and I'm not downplaying it at all. It's just amazing that so many people ignore the flu each year. I'm pretty much just thinking at loud reading this thread and looking at numbers/articles. Wasn't directed at you.

I think it's because it only kills one in 11,666 people. People also ignore five out of the top 7 killers just by getting fat. These diseases account for 42% of all deaths in the USA.

Just remember folks, the Spanish Flu killed 1 out of every 153 people in the USA in 1918/19. And we went back to normal after that.

I'm not at all worried that we won't get back to normal, and probably sooner rather than later.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Just remember folks, the Spanish Flu killed 1 out of every 153 people in the USA in 1918/19. And we went back to normal after that.

I'm not at all worried that we won't get back to normal, and probably sooner rather than later.
But dont we have way more people per square mile now? So it will spread faster? Im wrong a lot so im just wondering

turbodog

Flashaholic
Actually the CDC itself backs up that the deaths are overinflated because even people that haven't tested positive who are in high risk areas that die of anything similar were/are being recorded as covid-19 deaths. Read the CDC guidelines for reporting. Makes no sense really. That was brought up in this thread and there really is no argument against it. Now how many have been incorrectly reported we will never know. On the other spectrum who knows how many deaths were actually caused by this that weren't recorded early on. Could be a wash for all we know.

I'm still amazed that we had a few cases in that building in my town and it didn't spread like wildfire. I can't even describe to you all how this building is laid out. It's a converted hotel from probably back in the 20s. Nothing was really done to contain it yet only those couple of people I first reported caught it. Makes you wonder how it's been so bad in some places and seems to be nothing in others.

If you are going to quote me, then do me a favor and read the link.

It did not reference deaths attributed to covid. It references the significant gap between average historically recorded total deaths per day and current total deaths per day. Even accounting for the 'generous' attribution to covid, there's STILL a quite significant gap. Sort of 'top down' accounting instead of 'bottom up'. In short, covid is causing more deaths than we are recording.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Poppy,
It was shortly after the experts said 2.2 million people are going to die in the next 45 days if we don't do X, Y and Z. Then we were hit with a barage of new rules to follow while folks all around were losing their job as fast as ice melts in hadees. Then some who were sent home were taking pictures of people not 6 feet apart on a nearby project and sending them to "the man" who said "play by the new rules or you're outta here". More rules to follow with a requirement to carry authorized papers like we were in East Germany after WW2. They reduced our hours shortly after.

Grocery store shelves looked like Soviet Russia while seasonal allergies caused us to think "uh oh I've got it too"…… people dressed like they were prepared for a chemical weapon attack frantically buying up every frozen pizza in the store, the governor imposing more rules each day limiting peoples ability to move about, family saying build a wall to keep those new yorkers out, church services banned, surgeries banned, dental appointments banned, shooting ranges deemed recreational thereby……banned.
By the end of March many of us were feeling bewildered. My workload had doubled while my hours were reduced. Same for all of us as we have a deadline looming in the near future pandemic or not. We all decided panic is for losers, and pretended we were the mine workers at Chernobyl tasked with making sure the water supply did not become contaminated. Not some wreckless, dam the torpedoes notion but just keep your eye on the ball and get the job done.

At the end of the project many of the people on the project are retiring. I am the pup at 56. Many on my project began their career around the time I was born. The last thing any of us want is to pass around some virus.

We were/are seeing the lack of preparation (planning-wise) for a respiratory-born pandemic.

In the beginning, before countermeasures, daily infection increases, in MS, were roughly 50%. That's PER DAY. So yes, unabated, it would have continued to run wild and deaths would have been off the charts.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully some good news suggesting the death rate may be much lower than thought.

"The collaborative study from USC and the county's department of public health found that more than 4% of those tested had antibodies to the coronavirus. If those results were extrapolated to LA County's population of about 8 million adults, that means an estimated 360,000 adults in Los Angeles County had at some point gotten the infection, many of them without realizing it, the researchers say."

https://abc7.com/health/usc-study-more-than-360000-in-la-county-may-have-had-coronavirus/6197585/

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's interesting that the tests that look for genetic material from the virus can be triggered by fragments of virus that are no longer viable. This is kind of a good news / bad news thing. The good news is that the tests are sensitive enough to pick up very small hints of the virus. The bad news is that it can't tell us directly whether the person is still contagious.

I know that a scanning electron microscope can see the virus and would enable a scientist to determine whether the virus was intact or deactivated, but as far as I know this is not practical for regular patient assessments. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something here.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Just got back from store not one mask and one guy must of been trying to smell my hair. I was about to say back off in not so nice words .but im trying to be a better person so i just steped out of line and went to the end

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
DD, What a coastal view! and fresh rubber on the road..

I can't think of a better way to spend the day mi amigo!

The view inland isn't bad either!! :twothumbs

49919000316_dc239f048e_c.jpg

ven

Flashaholic
Stunning Dave, you need a drone to fly over there! Just got the mavic air 2(not tried out yet). But would love that play ground to fly in.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's interesting that the tests that look for genetic material from the virus can be triggered by fragments of virus that are no longer viable. This is kind of a good news / bad news thing. The good news is that the tests are sensitive enough to pick up very small hints of the virus. The bad news is that it can't tell us directly whether the person is still contagious.

I know that a scanning electron microscope can see the virus and would enable a scientist to determine whether the virus was intact or deactivated, but as far as I know this is not practical for regular patient assessments. Please enlighten me if I'm missing something here.

Spot on old boy.

Now the results are results from a sample, but is there any live virus lingering somewhere like say the kidney?

In other words the sample is a sample of free flowing fragments.
Think of it like a colesterol check. Yeah levels in a sample may say this or that about what freely flows through the blood but are there any large collections of it in some areas not freely flowing?

Or like cancer.……sometimes a person is deemed cancer free but then ends up sick again. They are free of detectable cancer cells. Yet it seems at times the cancer returns.

When I first heard of a negative covid 19 test it was said it was when no detectable virus remained for 2 tests at 7 days apart. That meant 14 days after symptoms had completely ceased. In mild cases they said 4-6 weeks to be covid free. In other words 1-2 weeks for onset, 2 weeks ill and 2 more to be deemed covid free. In more severe cases up to 3 months before being completely covid free. It seems in order to get folks back to work at the factory or hospital they check for viable virus. In other words can those samples grow new virus? Is this leading to what is being thought of as re-infection?

That is why the numbers of sick were like 100:1 for sick versus recovered at first. We may never know the true rate of infection since it seems lots of folks carry it around without symptoms. Unless they check every single person it will always be an educated guess. Same with the fatality rate. Now that we are checking for dead covid instead of no covid is that going to lead to some folks having a reoccurance out in the work place?

Now that time has passed the true picture is way less fuzzy, but it will be quite a while before we know what this virus did or did not do. Perhaps a generation. Once the pandemic is done there's still all of that data to sort out. We think we are smarter but we are not. We just have more sophisticated equipment, but a sophisticated tool is only as capable as the person using it.

It's like a giant asteroid heading towards the planet this pandemic is. We cannot stop it with current technology. What we can do with careful consideration is minimize the carnage from the asteroid along with the carnage of minimizing the carnage of the asteroid. Do we trample over a slower moving victim while fleeing the impact zone like some fire in a movie theatre? In this case the worlds economy being the victim. Some say yes. Some say no.

The pandemic will run its course and the human race will survive. Mistakes will be made. It's all the misinformation that causes people to lurch in one direction or another. I know people who think it is a giant hoax. I know others cowering in their homes in fear who think any minute it will burst through the door and murder them. It is best to be somewhere in the middle, knowing it is real, preparing for it and doing what they can to reduce the liklihood of it reaching them. Try to be the one to reduce the spread and we will all be better off for it.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic

I watched that video posted by Dave D of Dr Campbell's discussion of a South Korean study. See #799.
I have the same understanding as you. You're not missing something.

One of the remaining questions, is how long a person will be immune, once he/she has cleared the virus.
He suspects that it will be similar to other corona type viruses and immunity will be 1- 2 years, but he states that the answer to that question is still unknown.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
<SNIP>

When I first heard of a negative covid 19 test it was said it was when no detectable virus remained for 2 tests at 7 days apart. That meant 14 days after symptoms had completely ceased.
No, not negative test, but recovered... they wanted the patient to be 14 days symptom free, AND have a negative test at that time before they would be deemed recovered, and allowed to return to work. Yes, I don't recall the time frame, but a person needed to have 2 negative tests.

In mild cases they said 4-6 weeks to be covid free. In other words 1-2 weeks for onset, 2 weeks ill and 2 more to be deemed covid free. In more severe cases up to 3 months before being completely covid free. It seems in order to get folks back to work at the factory or hospital they check for viable virus.
As stated previously the tests they are using can not differentiate whether the virus is viable or not. Therefore they are not testing for viability. That is what was, recently reported by the S Koreans.

In other words can those samples grow new virus? Is this leading to what is being thought of as re-infection?

<SNIP>
Dr. Campbell give a good explanation of the confusion about reinfection. You can see his video here #799

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.