Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The chicken came first poppy. Something had to keep the egg warm long enough to hatch.

Man, I finally found some data on the max temperature potential survival rate of this new virus. It looks like if it lingers on surfaces up to 100 degrees F (38c) the thing lives X hours as if it were in a comfy climate. No wonder it spreads in temperate zones.
I chuckled reading a bunch of lab coat wearing types at research gate having a heated exchange about it. It is still too soon to know for sure what minimum and maximum temperature and humidity the thing can survive it but it appears to be pretty freaking tough compared to previous viruses. There were links to papers with a lot of long haired speak that was way over my head such as how long they incubated samples, what rpms they spun it at for X period of time etc.

I knew after a bunch of reading way back in March they knew it survived beyond the climate range of SARS etc but no range had been definitively decided on. Still hasn't but it does seem to have a reduced spread rate as the weather gets warmer and more humid. As summer passes there may be more known. Yet with so many people staying indoors in the novel corona friendly climates it may not matter much.

Wash your hands, stay 6 feet apart, don't touch your face.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
My understanding of mask wearing is that it is most effective for preventing cross contamination when worn by the infected, who don't know that they are infected, therefore any mask with an exhaust valve will not be as effective at reducing cross contamination.

Even a cloth mask will reduce the velocity of moisture containing the virus and therefore reduce the distance that it is spread during coughing.

Copy-of-Add-a-heading-4.png

raggie33

*the raggedier*
My understanding of mask wearing is that it is most effective for preventing cross contamination when worn by the infected, who don't know that they are infected, therefore any mask with an exhaust valve will not be as effective at reducing cross contamination.

Even a cloth mask will reduce the velocity of moisture containing the virus and therefore reduce the distance that it is spread during coughing.

Hardly anyone wears them in my town i wear mine for the reasons you posted above

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I heard today that the CDC says that the virus is hard to get from a flat surface not sure what that totally means for sure.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Some say its there right not to wear a mask well thats true. But mask keep you safe as it keeps us safe. Ps i had to clean up this post to keep from breaking rules and to try to be nice, even thou im in a jerk mood lately

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Bingo. It's about protecting others and slowing the spread, not about protecting you.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Masks or not?

There is so much banter about masks, and most of it wrong....

To poke at you a little... does that also include your post(s)?

It's not that simple. Even a halfway draped hanky protects everyone. The asymptomatic person does not spread it (as much). This protects others. So, someone else's mask protects YOU. And your mask protects THEM. So we all win.

If the common man will wear a mask, the people in medical will not need as many masks. Not will they be exposed to as many sick people. You can ask my wife all about her time on the front line medical field, as well as my cousin (front line), and aunt (front line).

Regardless of gov't mandated 'stuff', the world as we know it is on 'pause' right now. There's enough people that have drastically altered their life voluntarily that the economic fallout was inevitable.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
From time to time Mrs Fixer and I go check out the community and what was once a summer carni town in December it is slowly been returning to normal. Tonight, good gosh. The tourists have returned to carni-town.

On the commute home from work the interstate was packed with travellers. I suppose the numbers are down over last year but there sure were a ton of people heading north and south at 2pm.

We stopped at an ice cream shop that had recently reopened and they had a ten person limit. Folks voluntarily waited outside for people to leave when there were ten folks inside already. There was nobody outside halting people because they did not need to. A policeman walked up and remarked how it was a nice site to see. He was there for a milkshake, not a shakedown btw.

The parking lot was packed with people enjoying ice cream. It was a nice site. Lots of happy people and eaves dropping it sounded like it was folks who had been hunkered down and were just venturing out for the first time in several weeks. While setting in the parking lot ourselves we saw what seemed like 10x the traffic we saw a month ago. I don't know about surrounding communities but it looks like mine is bouncing back nicely.

The shopping mall has reopened but you'd never know it. I think stores like Penneys, Victorias Secrets and Bath n Body works are done. At least in my community. Folks have found scented candles for $6 at Target while the mall was closed so they are probably not going to pay $16 at BnBW anymore. Sign of the times more than pandemic related is the liklihood.

Taz80

Enlightened
A co-worker told me today that he wasn't going to wear a mask anymore. I didn't tell him I wear one to protect myself or others, (I do) or because the government mandated it. I told him I wear one out of RESPECT. Respect for those people who are face to face with many people everyday. That got through to him and he seemed to change his attitude. I my job we have to sanitize our hands before going into a residence and wear a mask, the customer also has to wear a mask.

Poppy

Flashaholic
To poke at you a little... does that also include your post(s)?

It's not that simple. Even a halfway draped hanky protects everyone. The asymptomatic person does not spread it (as much). This protects others. So, someone else's mask protects YOU. And your mask protects THEM. So we all win.

If the common man will wear a mask, the people in medical will not need as many masks. Not will they be exposed to as many sick people. You can ask my wife all about her time on the front line medical field, as well as my cousin (front line), and aunt (front line).

Regardless of gov't mandated 'stuff', the world as we know it is on 'pause' right now. There's enough people that have drastically altered their life voluntarily that the economic fallout was inevitable.

turbodog,
With all due respect, it appears that you did not read and comprehend the post I wrote; the one that you are referring to.

Which one of these statements is incorrect?
1. cloth face masks, will NOT protect the wearer!
2. paper surgical masks, will NOT protect the wearer.
3. N95 masks will NOT protect the wearer IF IT IS NOT PROPERLY SEALED (worn with a tight fit)
4. even respirator masks will NOT protect the wearer IF IT IS NOT PROPERLY SEALED!

It's not that simple. Even a halfway draped hanky protects everyone.
" a halfway draped hanky" does NOT protect the wearer!
1. If he is infected, he is already infected. No protection for HIM!
2. If he is NOT infected, it offers no protection to him from others shedding virus, because of the points I made above that you seem to have taken issue with.

However, if he IS INFECTED, and knows it, he should stay in quarantine.
If he IS INFECTED and doesn't know it, he should wear a mask, even a crappy cloth one, or surgical mask. That will help to slow the rate of spread of the virus to other people. With that thought in mind, everyone should wear a mask when in public.

And as Dave D so eloquently pointed out, wearing a face covering/ mask helps to protect everyone. Actually there is a misstatement in that sentence, It does not protect the wearer, other than encouraging others to wear a mask, which will actually protect him.

regarding your wife et,al.
She and others are absolutely correct. That however says nothing about the statements I made above, but rather that the comments by Dave D and his little pictorial are correct. To a certain degree, Face masks protect others, including doctors and nurses. However if one wants to proactively protect himself, one must wear a N95 mask. That's why doctors and nurses wear N95 masks.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Do they have no touching the dry sand rule at the beach at your LA Dave?

My boss proudly announced he had volunteered to be anti body tested this past week. He said "I was just curious if I've been exposed to the dam thing". I said "so this is the second time you registered for the draft?" He looked at me puzzled like "huh?" I said "well you know the president put in place the war time act so that means if everybody at a chicken plucking factory goes down with covid the government can grab folks with antibodies to replace them, right?" He said "I sure hope it comes back negative then". We were just kidding around about it. Then he told a story of a time when everybody in his community volenteered to pick tobacco from a farm the day after Camile, which had dumped over 20" of rain in just a few hours onto the farm. It was a large farm that took several days to pick the tobacco every fall so the community got together and picked it all in a day.

Will the US (or state) government draft ordinary folks to work at meat plants, hospitals and other places like that? Hopefully not. Can they do that under the war time act? Is a bull frog waterproof? At this point it has been national guard and volunteer people filling those roles but if this thing had really gotten bad like an ebola out break it could conceivably happen in America.

Oh yeah, murder hornets didn't do the trick so now it's exploding hand sanitizer. lol.
Hundreds of parroting news stories tell of exploding hand sanitizer while "experts" say "nothing to fear folks"……… What's next? Home made masks kill people?
Your dog spreads corona? Wait, home deliveries spreads the virus? It's in your shampoo now? :huh:

Last edited:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
If some one does not wear a mask and infects another person could they be charged with murder? EDIT not murder i mean manslaughter

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
If some one does not wear a mask and infects another person could they be charged with murder?

A Rail worker was spat at by a member of the public, who claimed to have COVID19, in London and the Rail worker subsequently died from it.

British Transport Police have interviewed a 57 years old male in regards to the incident and are seeking nobody else in connection with it.

It has not been disclosed what he will be charged with at this time.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ay-worker-who-was-spat-on-at-station-11990196

It is a sorry state of society when people going about their jobs are treated in such a disgusting manner.

scout24

Flashaholic
Made the mistake of going grocery shopping this morning. Tons of out-of-state plates in the parking lot, and the checkout line ran the length of the front of the store, and halfway up the far side. What shocked me were the half dozen or so customers not wearing masks of any sort...

20200523_124442.jpg

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If some one does not wear a mask and infects another person could they be charged with murder?

Idk, doubt it. But it reminds me of the early 1990s when the law department was asked by the police if DPF could be used against an individual armed with a hypodermic needle threatening to stab others and claiming the needle was contaminated with AIDS. Their answer was no.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts