Coronavirus - II

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Just a guess that StarHalo wouldn't be back to work in two weeks.

I had some malady for roughly a week in January that consisted of only a dry cough, wouldn't be surprised if that was it. If it was, I could work through that no problem - the issue would be if I were still contagious. We've already had roughly a dozen test positive in our building alone, and worldwide there are seven Amazon COVID fatalities thus far, no need to add to those numbers. From April through May we were given unlimited time off, meaning showing up on time or at all was completely optional; unfortunately it looks like that offer might have been more appropriate later in the year..

Poppy

Flashaholic
Can you really get unemployment having the virus? I was on unemployment and had the additional 600 added on and two questions I had to answer was are you available to work and are you able to work and if you are sick I don't think you can answer yes.

Lynx_Arc,
I am sorry that I do not know the answer to your question. I think that unemployment eligibility may vary state to state. I would bet that the Federal intention of the $600 per week is to keep people home if they are infected, or a care-taker of an infected. It is my understanding, that runs until July 31,2020. Of course the Feds say you can get the $600 IF you are eligible to receive unemployment benefits. So there, is the caveat.

They also ask if you are getting a pension, sick pay, or disability pay.

I am pretty sure, one or more, of the questions is along the lines of, is your unemployment related to the corona virus?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Let me clarify just a bit. I don't believe that covid-19 is not a threat or that it's existence is some sort of hoax. What I do believe to be highly questionable is the cost/ benefit of shuttering our homes and businesses and our lives. This has resulted in millions left jobless, hopeless and depressed. Businesses large and small that will never recover.
They told us that the deadly pandemic would kill us if we dared to socialize. Then they told us that mass demonstrations are a-ok and would not spread the virus. Now it's back to "lockdowns are necessary".
Yes, I'm very skeptical. To say the least.

I appreciate the clarification. Thank you for that. My view is, the politicians in charge have recognized this virus as a major threat. And these measures, as severe as they are, in the short-term are preferable to the risk of exposure. Especially in highly concentrated areas of infection. You have a virus for which there is no immunity. Infected individuals who have recovered from it, can get re-infected. Some carriers show little, sometimes no outward symptoms. Causing some to think they're perfectly fine, and thus more prone to infect family members or others whom they've self-quarantined with.

At first it was just the elderly, the very young, and others with compromised immune systems. Now it's everyone who is at risk. I agree that long-term, these measures would not just be psychologically devastating to many folks. But frankly, unsustainable. People will eventually run out of money and patience. But in the short-term, these are the best that can be realistically done, without a vaccine.

The politicians who told us that mass demonstrations are perfectly fine.... They just want to make sure they get re-elected and stay in power. From strictly the point of view of NOT spreading this pandemic further, faster; no of course such demonstrations are not okay. Ironically, an ideal way to tell which politicians actually care about the general public vs. which ones just want to remain popular and get re-elected.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight's the night...

FFF6-F718-1342-4-F92-A5-EE-9-F21-B22438-DC.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Chocolate beer?

Boys, you're making me glad I stopped drinking 20+ years ago.

"Corona virus? Is that thing still going?" overheard between two youngsters at my work last week. "That's what they're saying" says the other youngster.
Meanwhile it's day 10 or so since my wife was potentially exposed so with each sneeze we're both kinda walking around on egg shells. Sip coffee, a drop or two ends up in the ole windpipe……cough cough cough……phew, just coffee going down the ole windpipe.
We were already mindful of being around others prior, just in case they had it. Now we are being extra extra mindful about being around others just in case we have it. Now that store shelves are stocked fairly well again we were discussing donating our extra stuff to a food bank, but have decided to hang onto it a little longer just in case we have to quarentine.

I had hoped things would be a lot closer to normal by July 4th case-wise but with all of those large gatherings still occurring perhaps by Labor Day things will be more normal after the impending spikes abate. Another example how humans do a helluva good job at spreading disease. Cases will likely spike unless herd immunity is greater than previously known. We should know by July 4th. And all those energized youth should definitely speed up the herd immunity process.

Fathers Day is just around the corner. My son and I had discussed going to a baseball game that day this year back in January. That's out. Maybe we'll watch "42" or "moneyball" instead. "The natural" is always good to watch as well.

Some curve numbers per world-o-meter in the US yesterday

59-B38-FDF-0-C88-4-F62-80-A4-2-CDC9465-B7-A8.jpg

Here's where the US was case-wise curve yesterday.
Getting better.

D82-B38-BA-6388-4-D9-B-B376-90-F99-BD5-E738.jpg

The death count curve yesterday.
Looking much better.

In my state the numbers at "long term care" facilities is far exceeding other settings they call it. What they had been including in that was "independent communities" (ie seasoned folks communities without assistance) is now being factored into "congregate" settings, which can be construed as general population where there are typically groups. Churches, offices, grocery stores etc.

30-39 group is leading the pack still with 40-49 in a close second and 20-29 pulling up fast still. 50+ and 19 under are largely flat in terms of uptick in new cases. We're up to #12 nation wise in case numbers but percent positive is now below 8% with numbers tested steadily increasing. So while vandals drop statues onto themselves the spread of the novel corona is tracking in a good direction. Hopefully that trend will still be going in the right direction for the next few weeks.

Meanwhile most churches in my area are still using alternative service methods and restaraunts do not have lines of people waiting to get in. Some are still closed. A new Jamaican joint is trying to get started near me.
Bad timing.

Last edited:

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm. Just food for thought. The guy who works for the company I do was successfully treated with hydroxychloroquine and Z-pack. I thought they weren't even attempting to use that anymore. I asked my wife about her cousin and they are using it on him as well. I won't get into all the political reasons I think that is odd but man that is odd.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Chocolate beer?

Boys, you're making me glad I stopped drinking 20+ years ago.

<SNIP>

In my state the numbers at "long term care" facilities is far exceeding other settings they call it. What they had been including in that was "independent communities" (ie seasoned folks communities without assistance) is now being factored into "congregate" settings, which can be construed as general population where there are typically groups. Churches, offices, grocery stores etc.

30-39 group is leading the pack still with 40-49 in a close second and 20-29 pulling up fast still. 50+ and 19 under are largely flat in terms of uptick in new cases. We're up to #12 nation wise in case numbers but percent positive is now below 8% with numbers tested steadily increasing. So while vandals drop statues onto themselves the spread of the novel corona is tracking in a good direction. Hopefully that trend will still be going in the right direction for the next few weeks.

Meanwhile most churches in my area are still using alternative service methods and restaraunts do not have lines of people waiting to get in. Some are still closed. A new Jamaican joint is trying to get started near me.
Bad timing.
Fortunately, according to your numbers, it is the relatively young who are leading the pack in getting the virus. Unless they have underlying issues, for the most part, they'll survive, it is the outlier who won't.

There is a local brewery that has been trying to open for at least a year. They have had one issue after another, between the town fathers, and then not enough electric power to their side of the highway, they have traversed delay after delay. Finally they are ready to open, and due to covid, they are not allowed. It's a shame.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer has allergic reactions to penecilin products so a z-pac is out. She found out when taking it back in the winter. We spent the night in an ER on that one.

The malaria drug seemingly works with some and not with others. The original thinking was it would do similar to a corona as it does with malaria in that it halts or slows the reproduction of the virus once inside the patient. That they say reduces how much the body goes to war with itself while trying to stop an invasion by the virus.

Is it the cure? Probably why it was so contreversal at first within the expert community. They were probably afraid the populace would just relax, go get some malaria pills at CVS and disregard the warnings to spread out, disinfect and not touch your face. Once politics entered the discussion the experts hushed up about it and quietly went about conducting trials.

A few pages back I spoke of the coworker who is now really sick and how he showed up to work with symptoms for days, and not until another coworker called him out about coming to work sick did he even get checked out. He landed in a hospital a few days after and nobody else in that office tested positive (or still have not). Apparently the guy is very heavy with extra flab, had a very inactive lifestyle and was taking insulin to control his glucose. My boss said he was near death so they gave him the cocktail and within 48 hours was off the ventalator. Yet the thinking is he will remain hospitalized for a while longer. Another coworkers elderly father in law got it while in a nursing home and died last week. He was in the final stages of pancreatic cancer so it may have actually lessened the time he would have suffered.

Meanwhile the pandemic continues. Still far behind the US, Bazil is creeping up on a million cases. They are nearly keeping up with the US in new cases per day at over 20k per day.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer has allergic reactions to penecilin products so a z-pac is out. She found out when taking it back in the winter. We spent the night in an ER on that one.

The malaria drug seemingly works with some and not with others. The original thinking was it would do similar to a corona as it does with malaria in that it halts or slows the reproduction of the virus once inside the patient. That they say reduces how much the body goes to war with itself while trying to stop an invasion by the virus.

Is it the cure? Probably why it was so controversial at first within the expert community. They were probably afraid the populace would just relax, go get some malaria pills at CVS and disregard the warnings to spread out, disinfect and not touch your face. Once politics entered the discussion the experts hushed up about it and quietly went about conducting trials.

<SNIP>
Hydroxychloroquine is a treatment, but certainly NOT the cure.

If it cured, we wouldn't have over 100,000 deaths.

In fact according to this study, and others, it does NOT appear to be effective.

On 5 June, researchers in the United Kingdom announced the results from the largest trial yet, Recovery, in a press release. In a group of 1542 hospitalized patients treated with hydroxychloroquine, 25.7% had died after 28 days, compared with 23.5% in a group of 3132 patients who had only received standard care. "These data convincingly rule out any meaningful mortality benefit," wrote the investigators, who ended the study early and promised to publish the full results as soon as possible. .... MORE...

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice stout Poppy! I'm sure you looked closely at my glass...

The plum beer from Poland from last night:

265-BB02-A-279-D-4158-8-CB5-7-F261-A515-D35.jpg

And from the store just now, I picked up this champion:

7-DC1-A27-B-3301-4-C9-B-8-F62-E8348-C0-FCBAD.jpg

My way way of dealing with the crazy, cray work load and COVID-19. :shrug:

turbodog

Flashaholic
Let me clarify just a bit. I don't believe that covid-19 is not a threat or that it's existence is some sort of hoax. What I do believe to be highly questionable is the cost/ benefit of shuttering our homes and businesses and our lives. This has resulted in millions left jobless, hopeless and depressed. Businesses large and small that will never recover.
They told us that the deadly pandemic would kill us if we dared to socialize. Then they told us that mass demonstrations are a-ok and would not spread the virus. Now it's back to "lockdowns are necessary".
Yes, I'm very skeptical. To say the least.

You're seeing the side effects of lack or COORDINATED leadership between local, state, federal government/agencies (and even businesses that should have a plan for this). And while some planning has been done it's another thing entirely to have your 'disaster plan' actually happen.

I'm no bona fide expert in this, but I was responsible for coming up with a plan exactly for this (pandemic) about 3 years ago. It was planned, evaluated, tested, written up, and revisited each quarter. And when it was put into place we had very little problems with it going off exactly as desired... most all of those were related to internet issues in the work from home group.

You can look at this thing from a top down perspective... hospitals are full (or almost) in places. Infections are slowing but still trending upward. Eventually those 2 curves intersect and really bad things happen.

My 'work from home' plan was activated in the very beginning of all this. Currently we are looking at continuing through end of 2020 at least... and this is in the state that doesn't have bad numbers (yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.