Cove lighting

mmomike

Newly Enlightened
I want to put cove lighting in my family room. "Cove lighting is a form of indirect lighting built into ledges, recesses, or valences in a ceiling or high on the walls of a room." (Wikipedia)

I am going to build a 50 foot ledge around 3 walls. I have considered the following lighting:
LED
Xenon strip lights
Florescent lights
Incandescent lights

My wife and I figure it would take about 6 x 100 watt light bulbs to light the room normally. That's about 10,000 lumen. We also want the light to be dimmable.

Incandescent produce a fair amount of heat. Also it is hard to find lights that are small and evenly spaced (4 to 6 per foot) so hot spots are not created on the ceiling.

Xenon strip light seem good but expensive. The cheapest I could find was:
http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/docs/indoor/rope/cove/index.html
Xenon Method 1:1 strip of 50 feet: $1092 for 8523 lumen
lights every 2 inches on 1 strip
Xenon Method 2: $1476 for11364 lumen
lights every 3 inches on 2 strips

Florescent lights are out because they are not dimmable. You can do some tricks but dimming is hard for florescence.

LED lighting is a real search for good pricing and a method that would be bright enough.
The cheapest I could find was:
http://www.affordablequalitylighting.com/docs/indoor/rope/led/led/index.html

Use the cool white 150 foot rope at $399, I would double it back on itself so 3 strands are go around the 50 foot ledge. The site claims the rope outputs 80 lumens per foot.
That comes to 12,000 lumens. I would like to make or buy a PWM dimmer but that is a question for later.

I found many other LED solutions but they ranged from $800 to $4000. The $399 is a stretch for us, especially if you consider having to get a dimmer and mount a ledge.

I could have done the same plan with incandescent rope lights but I would need more that 3 strands to go around the 50 feet to make it bright enough. They are a lot cheaper but I worried about the heat from all those strands.

So does my LED rope solution seem reasonable? Will I really get as much light as 6 x 100 watt incandescent bulbs?
Is there another comparably priced solution?

ponygt65

Enlightened
From teh car gods themselves.......

Cheap
Reliable
Done correctly.

Pick two.

I woudl not do incand, or xenon/halogen for the sheer heat factor. Dimming fluorescents could get costly and would take someone that knows WTH they are doing to get it done correctly...and that's a rarity with those setups. So, in short (too late, I know), I think the LED rope light would be best. G-E makes an LED Cove light setup, however, it's not 'low cost'. It's very nice, but low$$ it is not.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
- Rope light isn't any more/less reliable than other simple fixtures using strings of 5mm LEDs - Look at how it's powered.

- I'm skeptical as per the total lumen claim, but if you only need it to throw accent light on the wall it should be sufficient.

Too bad you can't order a 5 foot section or so just to test it out.

mmomike

Newly Enlightened
Agreed, I wish I could test it before I buy it.

It will be the main light source in the room.

mmomike

Newly Enlightened
Unfortunately I would have to by 16 x "[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]99 LED Stingerz" to cover 50 feet. That comes to a grand total of $1440. That is way out of my price range but thank you.

[/FONT]

ponygt65

Enlightened
- Rope light isn't any more/less reliable than other simple fixtures using strings of 5mm LEDs - Look at how it's powered.

- I'm skeptical as per the total lumen claim, but if you only need it to throw accent light on the wall it should be sufficient.

Too bad you can't order a 5 foot section or so just to test it out.

Agreed, I wish I could test it before I buy it.

It will be the main light source in the room.
Maybe this place can help?

http://www.pegasusassociates.com/RopeLightLEDCoolWhite.html

Never used them, but it looks like you can 'pick' the section for a test run. :grin2:

Mr_Light

Enlightened
If you can live with some hotspots, Home Depot has several new Dimmable Spiral CFLs which are pretty cheap. I bought a couple and plan to try them. For this you would only need a standard wall dimmer and a series of regular bulb sockets.

ponygt65

Enlightened
If you can live with some hotspots, Home Depot has several new Dimmable Spiral CFLs which are pretty cheap. I bought a couple and plan to try them. For this you would only need a standard wall dimmer and a series of regular bulb sockets.

I throw caution your way. 9/10 they have premature failure and/or flicker/strobe issues. They advertise as 'standard wall dimmer', but part of what they don't tell you is load max/min, and difference between electronic or magnetic dimmers. Not too mention the 'cheaply used' components.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you can come up with an acceptable variable DC voltage supply, I would suggest you string your own LED's in series groups based on the maximum voltage and resistored accordingly. You can then reduce the voltage to easily and effectively dim the lights. If you use low power LED's like the 1/2 watt or lamp style 5 & 3 mm LED's, heat and lumen maintenance shouldn't be an issue (drive them at or below spec).

You have many ways of accomplishing your task via LED luminaries and provided you do the engineering and fixturing yourself, the cost shouldn't be beyond reason. My gut tells me that the biggest hurdles will be in identifying the appropriate power source and means of dimming.

mmomike

Newly Enlightened
I decided to go with strip SMD LEDs:

SMD5050, 300Leds/reel, Waterproof Flexible LED Strip--Silicone Tube, IP67, 3-LED Cuttable, DC12V, 72W/reel, 120°, 5m/reel

These are directional. Much better than the rope light. And I can get them for less than the rope but I have to order them from China.

I should get more than 10,000 lumens over the 49' length.

20090421120444938.jpg

20090421120500179.jpg