cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your light

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
Re: Flashlight lending catastrophy...

Remembering comments here on CPF on how durable the FenixE01, I decided to buy another one and include it in my keychain and will serve as my lending light, for the price and reliability I know what ever he/she will do to it, it will survive, I'll just have to make sure to remind them to return it.
How about this - put it on a split-ring with a durable tag that says something like "If found, please return to [your name &c.]". That way, there's no excuse about forgetting who it belongs to or anything like that - and if someone takes that tag OFF - they're clearly a thief.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

If I had a really expensive light I would get it laser engraved with the phrase "Stolen from (name)" before I would loan it to anybody. ;)

Ian2381

Enlightened

Hmmm. Nice idea, I just might have my EDC lights laser engraved.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

If I had a really expensive light I would get it laser engraved with the phrase "Stolen from (name)" before I would loan it to anybody. ;)

Reminds me of a certain railroad company from the bygone days that engraved the same thing on all of their kerosene lanterns. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not a single co-worker or aquaintance has ever asked to loan any of my lights or Victorinox/Leatherman tool etc. Only family or close friends loan my stuff.
About the light I get ridiculed and about pocket knives and tools I get challenged that it's illegal (it isn't). Recently I used a Leatherman to open the door to a elevator shaft in a blackout, in order to let people out. Even the ones I got out of the stalled elevator commented on what a bizarre person I must be who carry not only a light but a tool...... And hey, isn't that illegal?

So I'd actually be delighted if someone asked to borrow my light. I'd rather lose a light than be ridiculed for having it.

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

Recently I used a Leatherman to open the door to a elevator shaft in a blackout, in order to let people out. Even the ones I got out of the stalled elevator commented on what a bizarre person I must be who carry not only a light but a tool...... And hey, isn't that illegal?

I would have just closed the elevator again and walked away. Or if I were inside, I would have closed it and said, "here, you deal with it."

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Recently I used a Leatherman to open the door to a elevator shaft in a blackout, in order to let people out. Even the ones I got out of the stalled elevator commented on what a bizarre person I must be who carry not only a light but a tool......
When I met my girlfriend she started laughing when I pulled out my Leatherman and started using it; same response when the trail on the river was blocked by a fallen tree and I grabbed my Cold Steel LTC to cut it out of the way of the snowmachine.
Why? Because she said any friends she had in Japan who had things like that only used them to put on shelves and look at, and she couldn't believe that people actually used them!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Re: cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your l

I have a bit of a hard time believing that folks put multi-tools on shelves, just to look at them. That's just really odd. :confused:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Re: cow orkers & other acquaintances who act as if they have a right to borrow your l

There's a lot of that type of collecting that goes on in Japan, kind of a way of imagining a different life than the one actually being led for some I suppose. Hard for you and me to imagine, but heck, look at your sig line.
grinser2.gif

RBR

Enlightened

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic

There's a lot of that type of collecting that goes on in Japan, kind of a way of imagining a different life than the one actually being led for some I suppose. Hard for you and me to imagine, but heck, look at your sig line.
grinser2.gif

There's a lot of that type of collecting here too :ironic:

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast

Recently I used a Leatherman to open the door to a elevator shaft in a blackout, in order to let people out. Even the ones I got out of the stalled elevator commented on what a bizarre person I must be who carry not only a light but a tool...... And hey, isn't that illegal?

Those people in the elevator sounded like they score very high on the Darwin ImProbability of Surviving Harsh Incidents Test

StefanFS

Flashlight Enthusiast

They were whining about being rescued? :wtf: I'm with Carrot on this one.

No, they were grateful for the help as they had been trapped for a long time. It's just that they could not process the fact that anyone could get the strange notion to carry a flashlight and a multitool on their person. A lot of people I meet only carry a smartphone, a thin case with drivers license and bank card etc, and possibly their keys. Zero awareness and preparation. Then it's an anomaly when someone actually have a flashlight or some other equipment when something happens. I'm always harassing relatives and friends about tools, flashlights, first aid kits, smoke alarms, fire extinguishers etc. for their houses and cars. Most see the point. First aid training is also good to get a muscle memory, it's very difficult to resuscitate a person without training. A lot of people and children die because people don't know what to do. A bit OT....

Monocrom

Flashaholic

Sounds as though they were all part of corporate workforce. In which case, their raging ignorance makes sense.