CPF 2 Fire department 0

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our new chief wants to hard wire and hard mount 110 volt halogens to the side of the engine, then plug them into the generator as needed.
I want 12 volt portables that be carried from the engine. Tonight I took my Thor to a small hay fire in a large building. The fire was out by the time they got the 110 volt lights up and my Thor was still brighter than both of them during mop up. (They turned them on low I found out)
The chief's 4D was aboout as bright as my el cheapo eBay 2 celllithium when we started around the building but noticeably dimmer at the end.
Nobody laughs at my toys anymore.
Wait until the LightForce gets here.

theepdinker

Enlightened
Mike,
Convert the Thor to HID.
2 hour fun time, I mean run time.
3200 lumens vs. 2400 lumens.
White light vs. yellow.

Compare the 110 light costs to the portables.

Theepdinker

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got one of the 110 lights mounted in my basement, just because I can. It's cool, you can use it for heat if you don't mind bulb cost /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The only stink about portables is that if someone is careless and just tosses them back in the truck/ambulance/etc and they'd happen to land wrong, they might set the vehicle on fire. Seen that happen before, and trust me, it's not a pretty thing. .

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
theepdinker said:
Mike,
Convert the Thor to HID.
2 hour fun time, I mean run time.
3200 lumens vs. 2400 lumens.
White light vs. yellow.

Compare the 110 light costs to the portables.

Theepdinker

[/ QUOTE ]
The Thor worked better than I though it would and I doubt converting it would make it any better. We need area light, not spotlights and the funky beam of my Thor assisted that.

Comparing prices is not the issue here. The quality is the important aspect and the stuff I want can be used mounted on the engine and carried out into the field. That additioanl feature only adds a couple hundred dollars to the units.
The Halogens used last night were twins on a stand and probably cost under $100.00. They would last a lifetime for most people but are on their last legs simply because they have all been shaken so much riding on an engine.