Feature CPF Daily Newsletter

Jelly

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all -

First let me thank you all for the welcome and patience as I bring an updates to CPF. I'm happy to announce another, which is a daily newsletter.

One way we will continue to grow the site is with a newsletter. This will be filled with the most active content that you might have missed from the day before. Our goal is to help bring interesting on topic posts to the attention of the folks, that might have missed it.

What if I don't want the newsletter?
If you do not wish to receive it, please use the unsubscribe button at the bottom of the newsletter. This will let us know you don't want it and remove you from future mailings. Using the unsubscribe button, rather than a spam report button, helps us to still delivery the newsletter to those that wish to receive it. Be assured other emails such as password resets, or post notifications will still be sent to your email box.

Screen Shot 2021-07-31 at 7.21.20 AM.png

My email address is out of date, how do I change the email that I receive emails to?
You can edit your email at anytime, by changing it in the Account Details link of the profile.

TigerhawkT3

Common etiquette is to allow people to opt into things they want, with the option to unsubscribe if/when they change their mind. Automatically adding every registered email to a marketing campaign and telling them to opt out if they don't like your decision is not the recommended practice. Also, I understand you want to drive traffic to your new acquisition, but a daily newsletter is a bit much.

KITROBASKIN

CPF Supporter
Seems like we here at CPF are used to the style and ambiance afforded by the previous owner. Her non-pressure to get money from members was especially exemplary. We can all see that this new replacement forum software is replete with strategies to generate income for the owner. Whether it is the (annoying to me) "Similar Threads" section at the bottom, other clickbait, or even non flashlight outside advertising (I thought I had disabled popups). It just does not seem surprising that another method to increase readership would emerge.

When we became members of Candlepowerforums, seems like we kind of opened ourselves up to something like a newsletter being made available to us. It just was not the style of CPF Boss Lady. We will see how this new forum evolves, and how members adapt to this change. Personally I'm OK with the opt-out option.

Kid9P

CPF Supporter
Jelly, thanks for the newsletter plus all the other little improvements to CPF.
Can't wait to read it!

Jelly

Administrator
Staff member
Common etiquette is to allow people to opt into things they want, with the option to unsubscribe if/when they change their mind. Automatically adding every registered email to a marketing campaign and telling them to opt out if they don't like your decision is not the recommended practice. Also, I understand you want to drive traffic to your new acquisition, but a daily newsletter is a bit much.
I'm not sure I completely follow as we only send newsletters to those that opted in via their signup for it previously in their account. It costs money to send a newsletter, so I'm not trying to send a newsletter to anyone that doesn't want it. You can check on your status here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/account/preferences

Personally I'm OK with the opt-out option.
Thank you for the support.

Jelly, thanks for the newsletter plus all the other little improvements to CPF.
Can't wait to read it!
We are working on and slowly sending it out to the opted in folks - look for it soon.

idleprocess

I'm not sure I completely follow as we only send newsletters to those that opted in via their signup for it previously in their account. It costs money to send a newsletter, so I'm not trying to send a newsletter to anyone that doesn't want it. You can check on your status here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/account/preferences
While I have no recollection of opting in to a newsletter on the prior forum software it wasn't a big deal to opt out either.

Chauncey Gardiner

CPF Supporter
Bro! It would've taken you less time to unsubscribe than to post your chide.

Alone In The Dark

One way we will continue to grow the site is with a newsletter. This will be filled with the most active content that you might have missed from the day before. Our goal is to help bring interesting on topic posts to the attention of the folks, that might have missed it.

Please forgive me for being blunt, but I must respectfully disagree based on the emails that I have been receiving. What you are presently calling a "newsletter" is nothing more than a very poorly generated collection of random links to recently started threads. For example, this is one of links in yesterday's "newsletter".

Here are some things to ponder and hopefully improve upon:
  • The link was obviously generated after the author requested that the thread be deleted, removed the content, and apologized for having created a duplicate thread.
  • It was not content from the day before. The post was already four days old.
  • Let us pray that this single post without any replies was not the most active content on the forum.
  • There was definitely nothing interesting enough about this to bring it to the attention of folks who might have missed it.
I would like to suggest that you consider sending out an actual newsletter by email once or twice a month. Have it contain real news that is relevant to flashlight fanatics. What you are sending out right now is not news. It is mostly garbage that comes across as being a lot like spam. You may eventually find that your present course of action stunts the growth of the site rather than increasing it. I would hate to see that happen.