CPF UK 2016 - THE NEW MEET UP THREAD

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this from the Beck of London catalogue.

Luminex Illuminating Magnifier.

(Rcgd. Design No. 771009.

The Luminex magnifier is the latest development in magnifiers, the source of light for the
illumination of the object being contained in the instrument. By means of a specially shaped
reflector the light is condensed into a brilliant patch which shows detail in the most effective
manner. The convenience of this method is readily seen, as however inaccessible the object may
be, or in whatever position the magnifier is held, an intense light is thrown upon the object.

The Luminex is made in a fixed focus model, focussing the object just below the rim of the
reflector. This has a power of x 10.

Another model, made with a power of either X 10, X 15 or x20, has a focussing motion to
the lens, so that the magnifier may be rested upon an object and the image brought into focus
by the adjustment to the lens. The power x 20 is fitted with an achromatic lens, giving at this high
magnifying power a field of view free from aberration.

A model containing a graduated scale which is seen superimposed upon the object being
viewed, so that measurements can be readily taken, is also manufactured ; this has a power of
X 10. A focussing adjustment is provided to the lens, bringing both scale and object into accurate
focus. Anv of the following scales can be supplied : —

I in. straight scale divided into 10ths,
50ths and 200ths of an inch,

=-\ 10 m/m. straight scale divided into
100 divisions, i.e., 1/lOth of a
millimetre.
Squares over the whole field in either
J, I or 1 m/m*

£0 17 6

No. 3725. Luminex magnifier, fixed focus model, complete with lamp and battery
No. 3726. Luminex magnifier, adjustable focus model X 10, complete with lamp
and battery
No. 3731. As No. 3726, but X 15
No. 3732. As No. 3726, but X 20, achromatic lens
No. 3727. Luminex magnifier, scale model with one scale
No. 3728. Extra scales for No. 3727

Luminex microscope. This magnifier is similar' to the other
models in principle, but has a compound microscope giving a magni-
fying power of X 40 attached to it. It has a graduated scale in the
eyepiece and reads to 1/lOOOth inch or l/50th m/m.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ordered another 2 sets of dice myself. Christmas and all....

Here is the catalogue. See page 108. Not sure what year it is though. Love the phone number...
"Telephone MUSEUM 3608"
https://archive.org/stream/beckmicroscopes00beckuoft#page/108/mode/2up

This is a pic through my Luminex of a comic picture.

Those lines each measure a fiftieth of a mm on what you are looking at. On the lens where they are etched, all 100 lines cover a length of around 6mm. Seriously, how the hell do they etch that neatly onto glass back in those days! I also looked into AA size batteries. Turns out they first appeared in 1907. Didn't know they were that old. The catalogue states "spare battery" which suggests to me that perhaps the original power was an early 'long' AA rather than the standard size we have now?

Last edited:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off Topic - Again !!!

Just enjoying more and more watching " Travellers " TV series

Really pretty good Canadian Sci-fi Time Travel stuff but without the mind numbing befuddlement of the complications of say 12 Monkeys series or Continuum (both good though)

OT Off

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started on "The Man In The High Castle" but I'm unsure if I want to continue with it. 2 episodes in. Does it pick up ?

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sticking through The Man in the High Castle but a 'have it on in the background' show rather than 'full attention'.

My TN42 just arrived. Can't wait till I go home, I'll stop off in The Great Park in Windsor to try it out. Better than annoying the neighbors.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't wait till I go home, I'll stop off in The Great Park in Windsor to try it out. Better than annoying the neighbors.

Hope you've got four balanced 18650s on you.

I dazzled some people on Primrose Hill with mine the other night - There's nothing there that is not reachable with this torch - much fun!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quidco.... One of those cashback sites. You register your visa card with them and then you get money back on stuff you buy. Spent £400 on a computer at HP and got £15 back. You have to do that thing where you click through Quidco but it only takes a second or two so... Today I got 26p back from a £4 purchase...
If you register, you even get cash back when you spend in the actual shop. Every time I pop into Halfords for wiper blades, oil, etc.. I get cash back in my Quidco account a month or so later. About to get myself a new Phone from Banggood for £150 so will see another £9.90 back for that.
There is also TopCashBack which I believe is similar.